The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks, you are in Budapest?

Are your churches Romanesque (Orthodox) or Gothic (Catholic)? I figure the acoustics have to be very different, specially the echo decay times. IMHO, the large naves of the Gothic cathedrals are fantastic for slow tempo, large scale works ( Silent Night (*) anyone? )... while the smaller Romanesque interiors are awesome for more nimble chamber works.

As a kid I recall that on vacation trips the first building we'd visit in a city would be the hotel, second a restaurant and then the Cathedral... museums and what not could wait.

Except in Soviet Russia.. what a boring place that was. But, we never got to Stalingrad then.

I would love to visit Eastern Europe. We did a very short trip to Romania and Bulgaria.. we were there when the Russkie tanks rolled into Prague. We weren't quite sure the local Komissars would let us leave!

(*) Do you have the Propius recording? I have it both on LP and CD. In German, naturally. It sounds awesome on those Pass Aleph 5 clones and Maggies. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Can you imagine hearing it in Vienna during Christmas? I ought to note that Tidal has it online, I just turned it on in my office (NuForce DDA100, Acoustic Energy AE1's, Nordost wiring).

Silent night! holy night!
All is calm all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace!

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Rust never sleeps

newest acquisition on local fleabay site

cost me 30 greenies with shipping

in functional state

didn't know anything, couldn't find any pics of guts, so just did go with gut feel and "mosfet" title really didn't end with some puny TO220 IRF inside :clown:

in the end, regular (overused) schmtc ditto from Hitachi datasheet, with few minor differences in resistor values here and there

will toss everything redundant out, make proper connectors and crudest possible new front plate

observe how funny Z shaped tiny profile is arranged that both top and bottom plates are part of "heatsink"

finally ZM will have one proper B Class amp ....... just another Drek from Yore sitting on my shelves :rofl:

(or I'll toss all pcbs out and put Papa's recent Stasis FE inside, same as plan is for similarly purchased Hitachi HMA6500)

planning is easy ......... I'll do it all in next life

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 169
Zen-man,
That recent acquisition had some cheap, gnarly components inside (except for the output devices). Having said that, the price was right. I have a 50 lb (maybe more) broken behemoth that I purchased at a local surplus house that I intend to gut and then place my own design inside. The case alone would have cost at least 4X the price I paid.

Beer will wait until tonight...

Last edited:
I never liked that schematic all that much, though it looked neat when it first came out in the 80's, as the limited tail current in the diff stages will sit on the slew rate. I kinda fell out of love with that approach after I thought about it for a while. We can do better.

I still have the original Hitachi app notes from back then.

What really got my gorge to rise a bit when looking at the innards of the amp were the cheap, nasty open - form carbon adjustment pots, disasters waiting to happen. One even looked like it was rusty... The power supply looked as if it was pretty under-capped, too.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Plus sometimes a usable donut

I’ve read that there are certain musical pieces composed to match the reverberation time of a particular cathedral. Probably the cathedral in question will perform “their” music quite often- because it works!

Well.. it's like the music was being written for the acoustics of the architecture.. ..It was an overwhelming whole body reaction as if my genes, my entire body, my soul were all resonating with the music. It was an EXPERIENCE I can not describe why, but it just did….those vast spaces have echo qualities that match the slow tempo of the music. It's grandiose: masses voices, organs......

Last edited:
it's like the music was being written for the acoustics of the architecture.

..No audio system ever build and very few modern halls will equal, approach?, a choir in a European Gothic Cathedral...
Those massive, high stone wall with those vast spaces have echo qualities that match the slow tempo of the music.
It's grandiose: masses voices, organs.....

An English Coronation 1902-1953 on Vimeo

We once walked into the Barcelona Cathedral while a visiting boy's choir was singing Mozart's Requiem. When they got into the Kyrie I just had to sit down. It was an overwhelming whole body reaction as if my genes, my entire body, my soul were all resonating with the music. It was an EXPERIENCE I can not describe why, but it just did.

Yes marvelous EXPERIENCE :happy1:
History , culture, art traditions of live acoustic concerts are still strong
, Music Academy in Montpellier are full of young generation artists who learn from the ancient Master Composers.
Wish me after back to "the normal" I can have fabulous time in concert hall listen the Orchestra with a great Conductor
Sibelius: Sinfonie Nr. 2 mit Herbert Blomstedt | NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchester - YouTube
Have a nice day