The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Attachments

• Printed_Circuits_Handbook_6Th_Ed_Malestrom_0000.jpg
    Printed_Circuits_Handbook_6Th_Ed_Malestrom_0000.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 189
Good idea. It would be better to invest in the genuine article now. Supplies are getting low and when they're gone, prices will skyrocket for genuine VFETs.

There have been recent reports of unscrupulous sellers relabeling other parts as VFETs and selling for ridiculous prices to unwary buyers. Things will only get worse when the legitimate sellers like Pras and Watanabi run out of inventory.

You are a speedy typist. Congratulations on your purchase!

Got the VFETs last week. :D

Looking forward to when I can do this build one way or the other. Guess I can't paste an image here easily. Don't have online place I keep photos.

I just repaired/upgraded a Sansui 4000 (45w/ch), that came back with a Vietnam vet in 1969. It has a very weird output circuit with 2 NPN transistors per ch and looks like only a positive voltage rail. I am blown away at the sound and especially the extremely good MM phono stage. It beat my average Emotiva phono pre with a MC cart on my other TT. I would describe it similar to tube amps I have heard in the past which have absolutely amazing midrange and great imaging with very good clean bass. So pleasant to listen to my wife had to ask me to stop so she could watch a show! :cloud9:

If this is any indication of how a VFET class A sounds I am really excited. I bought 4 SK180s because I most likely will not win the second lottery for the Sony VFET. If I do, I will probably setup a charity auction for at least 2 of them later.

Attachments

• VFETS_IMG_1811.jpg
    VFETS_IMG_1811.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 158
if you choose wisely what to do with these, you'll forget both Sansui and Emotiva

By the way, I bought the Emotiva as an inexpensive piece to use as a reference to build my own phono preamp. It is dead flat in my bench tests, but kind of dry, (and just found out lacking more that I thought). I built the 797 HQMCPS (Audiokarma) which I ran off of batteries, but the board had issues attenuating the HF signal on one channel, had to use 2 boards to get 2 balanced channels and sounded good, but an awkward setup. So I just ended up using the Emotiva.

I am trying to get a good reference system together and will be looking for a top level MC/MM pre, hopefully DIY. Going to search the threads in this forum and check out the store. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thanks Zen Mod!