The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Is the Sony TA-8650 worth buying and updating or do a new Pass Labs build?

I've been poking around and looking at the older Sony TA-8650. It's currently selling for $1,500+. Are these worth purchasing and fixing up? Or work on a Pass Labs build and try to obtain the unobtainium VFETS?

I do like the fact it has the normal/separate switch to put it inline with other equipment for diff configs like my old Yamaha CR-2020 (my wife made me sell it shortly after we got married :crying:).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What ZM said. I have an old Sony TAN-5550 which I rebuilt and I have built a a few DIY VFET amps. If you have the skills to rebuild a Sony, you should be able to build a modern VFET amp.

The old Sonys have complex circuitry compared to the new designs and replacement Sony VFETs are basically not available anymore. These old amps require a complete overhaul to be reliable enough to be used as a daily driver. I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, the "death" diodes, trimmer potentiometers, a bunch of suspect carbon resistors, and replaced the mica insulators / thermal grease on all the VFETs. At least, that's what I can remember. Even then, I still worry about what would happen if a VFET blew.

You can get a pair or four of Tokin SITs (a pair for backup) and build a reliable, better sounding amp for $1500.

no brainer, if you can build your own

those old Sony amp , much more nostalgia than sound

they're nice, generally, but just imagine how much Dough for DIY you can buy for 1K5

I was thinking that might be the case. I am still in the lottery for the second drawing for the DIY Sony VFET. If I don't get that I will be looking at one of the kits. If the Sony VFET kit will still be available after the drawing (minus the VFETs themselves), I may bite the bullet and pay the $$$$ for some NOS VFETs (if I can find them). I started as an electronic tech so I know my way around a soldering iron and schematics.

Thanks Zen Mod ;)

all info in "While they last" thread

in short - Pras and Watanabetomoaki

more details in thread

Well, gee the seller from China I mentioned is pras1170. Guess I need to see how many I need and which ones to buy so I have them before they all go away. Even if I was to win the lottery, I can use them in another project or sell them to another person that needs them.

Thanks Zen Mod & pinnholer!

Attachments

• Understanding and Servicing CD players_0000.jpg
    Understanding and Servicing CD players_0000.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 188
Well, gee the seller from China I mentioned is pras1170. Guess I need to see how many I need and which ones to buy so I have them before they all go away. Even if I was to win the lottery, I can use them in another project or sell them to another person that needs them.

Thanks Zen Mod & pinnholer!

Sorry "pinholer". Too many 'n's. LOL

Bought some "Precise Matched quad(4pcs) (with curve data) of 2SK180" NOS from watanabetomoaki. I figured since this is to keep me out of trouble as I near retirement I am going to get enough for 2 amps. Still haven't lost my curiosity to learn how things work since I was taking things apart as a kid. :D

Thanks again for the help!

...Even if I was to win the lottery, I can use them in another project or sell them to another person that needs them...

Good idea. It would be better to invest in the genuine article now. Supplies are getting low and when they're gone, prices will skyrocket for genuine VFETs.

There have been recent reports of unscrupulous sellers relabeling other parts as VFETs and selling for ridiculous prices to unwary buyers. Things will only get worse when the legitimate sellers like Pras and Watanabi run out of inventory.

You are a speedy typist. Congratulations on your purchase!

Last edited:
Don't panic!

ZM once said that the "Babelfilsh Title" :D is given to any "iteration of Papa’s gadget".

SO

Will Aleph J Zen be another scion of the Noble Lineage of...

...BABELFISH? :confused:

Babelfish.jpg

Calling it as a Universal Papa's ZenMod translator would I subject to torture and punishment? :eek:

I know that the answer will be

:rofl:

In the meantime, thank you Papa for all the fish! :worship: