The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

What I was intending on doing was to workout the pinout of the 8 pin din plug then rewiring it to connect to a regular receiver.
Then go into the store and ask him one more time if it was possible to connect the lifestyle speakers to a regular receiver and then after waiting for the response of "no", I would demonstrate my cable and then laugh as I say "I am going to sell this on ebay" and walk out of the store.

However that would take some time and I figure a Nuclear missile would probably get the same message across and be quicker.

Last edited:
I just started a new job this week. This is a big improvement in the employment realm, so that is one good thing, but it seems there is likely to be some side benefits from this job. My first task is working on sorting out why a water cooled plate chiller is not performing to spec. We are putting 10Kw of heat using 3 of these at 13.8 VDC @ 733 Amps :hot:

http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/docs/cm1000duc_24nf.pdf

We are getting a temp rise of ~9°c with 3.6 GPM (13.6 LPM) I think one of those chillers might be perfect for a Pass Monster. Now I just need a transformer. Funny but, we make those too. Specifically high current AC to DC systems. I think I may have hit the motherload of DIY dumpster diving. The scrap copper that comes out of this plate is simply mind boggeling.

I just started a new job this week. This is a big improvement in the employment realm, so that is one good thing, but it seems there is likely to be some side benefits from this job. My first task is working on sorting out why a water cooled plate chiller is not performing to spec. We are putting 10Kw of heat using 3 of these at 13.8 VDC @ 733 Amps :hot:

http://www.pwrx.com/pwrx/docs/cm1000duc_24nf.pdf

We are getting a temp rise of ~9°c with 3.6 GPM (13.6 LPM) I think one of those chillers might be perfect for a Pass Monster. Now I just need a transformer. Funny but, we make those too. Specifically high current AC to DC systems. I think I may have hit the motherload of DIY dumpster diving. The scrap copper that comes out of this plate is simply mind boggeling.

I'm open to an adoption! :D

Magura :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• dash1.gif
    dash1.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 180
  • crazy.gif
    crazy.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 192
Satellites and such

All,

This is way off topic, but here goes.

For many years, I've been involved in satellite systems--building them for the United States, launching them, doing on-orbit checkout, and operations.

For any of you interested in "seeing what's up there", there is a really good German website for satellite viewing. It's Heavens-Above Home Page

If you have the desire, go to the site, enter your location (latitude, longitude, and elevation). You can get the lat and long from maps linked to the heavens-above site, or off Google Earth, etc.

The heavens-above site will let you know what satellites are visible, and from which direction and for what time duration. Recall, that on viewing "satellite magnitude" listed in the table, the LOWER the number (and especially the NEGATIVE numbers) are more visible than higher numbers, by orders of magnitude.

With a relatively dark background and a cloudless night, you should be able to see magnitude of 3.0 and lower (numerically).

The site also gives info for viewing Irridium satellite flares, which are extremely bright, short duration "flares" caused by conjunction of the sun, the satellite's orbital parameters, the location of aluminum antenna panels on the payload, and your specific location on the earth's surface. There are other websites dedicated to the Irridum flare phenomenon, in case you want to browse further.

Give it a shot (remember to enter your lat, long, altitude, and time zone). In Colorado, it's a fun thing to do while hot-tubbing--especially with a good Merlot and the right company!

Ken