The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jaac TheMaster said:
but what a caps !!!!! they are big !!! where did you buy them ??

Computer guy, this one was not a car mechanic.
He told me their system had higher surge values than the caps can handle.
They are brandnew, i bought a couple of boxes for $ 8 the piece.
Thats my son's toy, mine is on the driveway.
He broke off the wing, dad needs to fix,i hate people who wreck italian cars.

With those caps you can build yourself a nice cheap monster. or do you have other plans with them.
a only wondering why they are so big i have panasonic caps 47000uF 50 volt but they are 90 X 50 [mm]

i hate people who wreck italian cars.

i can agree with that

Attachments

• elco 002 (small).jpg
    elco 002 (small).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,512
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think we'll need to split each channel into 3 chassis -
2 supply chassis each holding a transformer and about
1/3 of the cans, and a main chassis also holding about 1/3
the cans and the main circuit. This way 1 ruffian should
be capable of actually moving the amplifier.

Nelson Pass said:
I think we'll need to split each channel into 3 chassis -
2 supply chassis each holding a transformer and about
1/3 of the cans, and a main chassis also holding about 1/3
the cans and the main circuit. This way 1 ruffian should
be capable of actually moving the amplifier.

LIft it???? are you kiddin me?

im thinking of putting tank treads on it and driving it to work!

Seriously, i have the chassis laid out so it wont be that bad. BUT, i need a Mosfet count for the heatsink layouts before i know the final length. once i have that, i can get on some serious AutoCAD drawings and figure out the specs exactly.

Zero :devilr:

caps

Jaac TheMaster said:
only wondering why they are so big

From what i have read on capacitors the size is not only determined by the square area of the foil and their distance (for capacity and voltage), also by the type of electrolyte.
The electrolyte is the main factor for longevity and speed.
The computer grade capacitors i have seen are bigger than average.
I still have a bunch of Siemens LL (long life) caps, these are 47000uF/40 V, dimensions are 4.25 x 3(106x76).

Maybe there is use for a tech board ?

piotrzurawski said:
Hi folks !

First of all I want to express my very best thanks to Mr.Pass and all who developed this fantastic board of audio knowledge.

After building my Aleph-X I'm very interested with all is going arround Nelson's amps. Here what I found on Ebay reschearching large caps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36336&item=3850445015&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Did you know this brand and how realiable they are? 240.000uF sounds good for a kilowatt amp :D

Regards

Piotr

Nelson Pass said:
I use that brand a lot. But you want to find out how old they
are. Past 10 years you don't want them.

Also, I did not develop this board. It was already here when I
showed up. :cool:

These caps were made in the 33rd week of 1997.

Regards

Anthony

Ahhh Yes, the Labs of :cheeky: Smarmy/Cool :cool: :spin:Zero/Dog :snoopy: are busy at work! :drink: Er I mean at work :wrench:

The Master Pass :wiz: has handed us the first nugget of info :mail:, not ready yet for publishing but we are hammering :mallet: out the details now.

I have been busy trying to figure out :scratch2: how to stuff all the power supply components into a 19" wide, 36" deep, 36" tall chassis and still have room for the amp section!!!

Smarmy Dog :snoopy: has been busy with the hardware and some great concept drawings and has been coming up with some amazing IDEA"S!!!! :idea:

These babies are going to be killer! :mummy: (Pun intendid)

Rest assured, once we have something solid to Publish, Im quite sure the Pass man will do so! :checked:, but yes we are hard at work!

Zero :cloud9:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.