The Othorn tapped horn

I haven't tested the 6021 in the Othorn but I'd expect it to perform better.
The 21SW152 offers 3 or 4dB less useful output based on displacement limitations. The result would be less dynamic compression at frequencies where cone excursion is high IF the cabs are being pushed to a point that the 21SW152 is approaching xmax. The 6021 probably will have slightly less power compression as well. The AES power rating is higher, coil is more massive, etc. I like the mirrored spider system on the 6021 vs the 21sw152.

If you aren't going to be pushing the 21SW152 to the point that it starts to lose composure, then the 6021 probably won't offer a real world advantage. However if you were pushing the 21SW152 pretty hard the extra headroom of the 6021 should result in less compression and distortion at the same output levels. Also you'd be more likely to see an advantage with more dynamic material with a higher crest factor, provided that you have the amplifier capable of realizing it. With very compressed low crest factor content the advantage may not be as obvious since long term thermal handling is the primary limitation.

I missed some of this discussion.

However, something that's of concern in the PA world is output density - output per cubic foot.

Given an exceptionally large horn, I can get really high LF SPLs from a single car audio 12".
However, the truck space and crew required to move such a thing means that, after two or three gigs, it's cheaper to buy a couple of really good 21" drivers and call it good.

Chris

Exactly.

So to match the 21" you need two cabs pushing it up to 232USD. But at that point you have doubled the amount of wood your using and more importantly (to me) your taking up twice as much space and time to build the cabs. Is 30Hrs of your time worth only 260USD?!? seems more efficient just to use the time to earn more money.

Also this...

You don't visit avsforum.com often. Space and time are usually not issues for bassheads when it comes to home theater. Hence, the EXPERIMENTAL 412 Devastator!

Sure they are. Each situation is different.

Not everyone has an unlimited budget, just the same as not everyone has the space for giant refrigerator sized subs. Bang for the buck is relative to the situation and goals.

You may have a shoe-string budget but are willing to deal with 16 refrigerators worth of cabinet. Or you may have plenty of budget but space/ weight limitations of 2 small subs. Some people can afford whatever they want and are also ok with multiple giant cabs. These are the fun builds!
Others want something very small and easy to handle but barely have any budget on top of it. These are the trickier ones. Most cases are somewhere in between the extremes. The best bang for the buck performance option for each of these scenarios is probably different.

The 4x12 cab that was being discussed is a winner as far as cost, but it is a BIG cab. 28x28x48" if I recall. That's nearly the size of a cab I made as a double 21 or a pair of my newer single 21 design. As far as performance I'm confident these are superior, as they better be using drivers many times the cost! There's no doubt which one is cheaper though. In my opinion these types of comparisons are pointless. One is optimized for cost and the other for output density/performance. It doesn't mean either are "best". Best for what?

I had someone link me a discussion at BFM forum once where someone asked about one of my designs and the comparison made in someone's comment was to the effect of being able to build some ridiculous amount of BFM cabs for the same price as 1 of mine. 32 or some crazy number which was exaggerated greatly. No one brought up the fact that 2 of the BFM cabs were already bigger than one of mine let alone 32 of them or whatever. It's just not a valid comparison in reality. No one on that forum would've liked a 1 vs 1 or even a 1 vs 2 cab comparison because it's not fair that one of them costs 10X as much. How is allowing a comparison where one system takes up 10X the space any different knowing what we know about HIL?

21NTLW5000

Hi everybody,
my Othorn-project starts next week, I hope I`ve read everything what could be found online, but as I understand, there is no final validation about the 21NTLW5000 because available data were only preliminary then. Any comments now the data are specified? Any help would be appreciated.

There's so much info in this thread! I'm in heaven!

Has anyone modeled the PRV 21SW4000-NDY-2 yet? I tried searching the thread but didn't see it anywhere. I want to do something insane for my Excursion and it's hard to find a lot of amplifier output at four ohms. I have a pair of JL 1000/1 amps sitting on the shelf, so I know I can at least output a solid 1kW at either 2 or 4 ohms.

I wouldn't base how it copes with pressure on a single parameter but a whole bunch of them, all three drivers look suitable at first glance, Hg, Hvc, Mmd, VC size, BL (relative to Re) and of course have a look at Fs, Qts and Vas but you could replace that with Hornresp simulations.

Even then there's things theory just won't tell. It has happened before that drivers got improved because they couldn't take the pressure (I think Danley has a well documented story about that here on the forum).

Hello people, does someone have the plans for me in cm / meter and also the cutting angles? I come from Germany and would like to build the Othorn with the 18NTLW5000. I would be very happy if someone could send me the plans for download,
as the links on DataBass are offline and I need European dimensions if available.
Many Thanks, Andy:)

Hello people, does someone have the plans for me in cm / meter and also the cutting angles? I come from Germany and would like to build the Othorn with the 18NTLW5000. I would be very happy if someone could send me the plans for download,
as the links on DataBass are offline and I need European dimensions if available.
I would love to have the plans as a pdf
Many Thanks, Andy

Hi!

How do you think RCF lf21n551 would handle this horn? The horn has a very high compression ratio but RCF MMs is little less that 21SW152.

I think I'm going to choose Othorn over BR because it takes less power and is 1 db louder, + its -3db point is lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Most BMS Drivers are optimized for ported/closed Enclosures. I have quite a few of them, they are of very good build quality, reliable and sound good. QTs etc.. is very suitable for a ported box.
For Horn loading with high compression ratios the cone would be my concern, its very light, not sure if it would stand the pressure for a long time... Also, the relative motor force is weaker than with other drivers.

Reactions: 1 users