The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

O2 amp no sound coming to headphones red diode on.

Hello, i just DIYed o2 amp. Parts i bought from headnhifi. When i turn it on, red diode lights but when i plug headphones there is no sound coming. Can it be that i am missing 1 solder pad- (i soldered gain switch wrongly had to resolder and one pad gone missing). Do you have any suggestions? Am i screwed or can it be repaired on low budget? Also can it be by wrong inserted chips in sockets and if yes how do i recognize good inserted chip? Also can it be that i touched some of the ESD sensible parts?
I am sorry for my english and for your eyes and also i thank everyone who gives me any suggestions.

Last edited:
Hello, i just DIYed o2 amp. Parts i bought from headnhifi. When i turn it on, red diode lights but when i plug headphones there is no sound coming. Can it be that i am missing 1 solder pad- (i soldered gain switch wrongly had to resolder and one pad gone missing). Do you have any suggestions? Am i screwed or can it be repaired on low budget? Also can it be by wrong inserted chips in sockets and if yes how do i recognize good inserted chip? Also can it be that i touched some of the ESD sensible parts?
I am sorry for my english and for your eyes and also i thank everyone who gives me any suggestions.

Hmmm...you're asking a LOT of questions that no one can likely answer without posting some detailed photos.

Furthermore, how can someone determine whether you're "screwed or can it be repaired on low budget" unless they're psychic or a very good guesser.

If you're not sure which way to insert a DIP-8 IC into a socket, that's not a good sign.

Posting your questions and photos over in the headphone amp section is likely to give you more answers since many people there have built Nwavguy's O2 amp.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Assuming you have a basic tool like a multimeter to check your work for electrical continuity, you can repair mistakes like broken, lifted pads with scraps of fine tinned wire. If your close-up eyesight is good and you have good lighting and fine tipped tweezers, this is no problem for most people and the remaining pins will be sufficient to hold the IC firmly. Remember when soldering; the surfaces must be clean, the iron should be of the temperature controlled type for fine PCB work and set correctly. This allows you to work quickly and effectively, minimising damage. Pads usually only lift as the result of of excessive heat, delay and repeated mechanical stress.

Simply make sure the IC or component is fully inserted and wrap a turn of the wire around the relevant pin. Then cut off the remainder of wire, leaving enough length to solder along the remaining copper trace. The copper trace may need to have its coloured resist coating scraped off gently to allow tinning and then soldering the wire to it securely.

The IC orientation is marked on the assembly diagram by a notch in one end of the IC outline. This should correspond with either a similar notch in the IC or to the same end where a round "dot" or depression on the top of the IC is made, next to pin1

There is also no need for concern about ESD sensitivity here.

Attachments

• Opamp pinout.PNG
    Opamp pinout.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 155
Here are the photos as you said. If they are not enough i can get more.
Well the orientation of chips is good i watched a lot of pictures of working amp only problem is if they are not inserted enough :/ Can you recognize from pictures?
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Attachments

• 20170530_150056.jpg
    20170530_150056.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170530_150116.jpg
    20170530_150116.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 128
  • 20170530_150207.jpg
    20170530_150207.jpg
    877.1 KB · Views: 128
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The only static sensitive parts are the FET's in the power supply. If you follow the fault finding guide I linked to earlier then any such problems will show up.

You have to be methodical. It doesn't work and so you begin fault-finding by checking all the basics first.