The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Hi,

Maybe I'm a little late and haven't read if this has been discussed yet but I think i can hear a sonic difference between the latest firmware (1.42) and the standard one (1.33). When I first downloaded the 1.42 I thought I heared a difference in sound. In a bad way. I thought it was just me at first but I know that the software on a device can make a difference, even if it isn't sound related. So I went back and forth a few times to compare and yes there is definately a difference. With the new 1.42 version it sounds thinner and nasal. It lacks life and voices don't have body. While with the old 1.33 it's all fine. Lively and warm.

Thought I should just put this out there.

Has anyone conducted measurements under the new firmware 1.44? I did, and there seems to be some difference in the gain on the HF , although I can't be sure as the measuring was done with rather different conditions from my previous posts. Before ,with gains on zero in all channels you had minus 6 db on the HF in reallity ( for getting better noise behaviour on the usuaaly higher efficiency tweeter channel) my first attempts seem to indicate minus 4db or so, but conditions are not exacltely the same...

No difference in gains for me with 1.44, compared to previous firmwares. I didn't even experienced the -6dB HF channel thing since I using my FA253's (2 years old). This implemented in newer hardwares only?

For example, if you have 90dB sensitivity woofer, midrange and tweeter, you need to dial back the woof and mid by 6dB to get the same SPL as the tweeter? Sorry for noob question.

The hardware gain difference between the NC100HF and NCxxxMP has been present since the first production batch of the FusionAmps. Starting with FW v1.3 there was a compensation for this gain difference but not in the way one would expect.....
From the firmware release notes:
- Gain correction: when maximum input level is aplied to XLR (6.15Vrms) or RCA (2.18Vrms) or SUB (50Vrms) or digital (0dB), the DAC will drive the connected amplifier to its maximum power in 8Ohm load
The resulting gain difference between the NC100HF and the NCxxxMP FusionAmp channels can be calculated and results in:

FA123 +1.25dB
FA253 -3dB
FA503 -5.44dB

For my FA123's the difference was app. +1.6dB.

Last edited:
Although the error seems small, there is something strange going on at higher frequencies.

Up to approximately 5 kHz all filter slopes are fine, but at higher frequencies the slopes are not accurate anymore and HP and LP slopes get different.
The sum of two LR4 filters is not constant at XO frequencies above 5kHz. I could not find a way to properly compensate for this behaviour.
Also when you move the XO frequency higher with your mouse, you see the slope change. You can also move them outside the graphical design window.
At first I thought this was only an error in HFD, but the response of the filter in the FusionAmp is similar to that shown in HFD.

Have you tried the latest FW1.44 and HFD? I can't see any changes regarding this issue.

Another question:

When I use a FA253 Amp, is it possible to use the 2 and 3 ampchannel separately? For example, I have a 3-way System and want to use the 1. Channel for Highs, Second Channel for Mids but use the 2x250W Amp in BTL or even seperately for each Mid speaker (if I use two) and then cut off the 3 channel of the DSP and use it external to another Amp to Power the Bass.

thanks a lot!

Now I can answer it by myself. Yes it is possible. To get it right, with the FA253 the Channel 1+2 are the 250W Modules and 3 is the 100W Module. I splitted the first channel to a separate NC502MP Amplifier and connected both Amps simply with the same signal cable without a loss in Volume. I guess it works because of the input impedance of the amplifiers. I did the same with the remaining NC252MP and bridged it with the same result. Works flawlessly.

Hi guys.
Happy New Year everyone!
I've got a little problem. One 252 after when i switched of the unit, red led start steady on 20-30 sec. After i restart working well again. Two new 122 doing this same but the difference is when i turn back on still on the red led steady on after i push preset button switched back normal green led and working well. I tried upload the short video but looks like impossible :D

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201229_152656.jpg
    20201229_152656.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 490
Hi guys.
Happy New Year everyone!
I've got a little problem. One 252 after when i switched of the unit, red led start steady on 20-30 sec. After i restart working well again. Two new 122 doing this same but the difference is when i turn back on still on the red led steady on after i push preset button switched back normal green led and working well. I tried upload the short video but looks like impossible :D

Thanks

Got the same problem with two newer units I received. Kinda annoying because the amp doesn't start for a while after turning off.

According to Hypex description NC100HF OEM;

”By design, NCore has a full range frequency response and power bandwidth. However this module is designed to be used for mid- and high frequencies only, i.e. starting at approximately 500Hz.”

What is technical reason for NC100HF why it is limited in lower frequencies?

Description states that it should be used for mid and high frequencies.

Could it be used with 100-200Hz highpass to high sensitive (+95dB) passive midrange/tweeter combo (15” coax, 8ohm)? 🤔

Yes. The HF output does not have the same output current capability as the main channels.

Actually read that you have used it to some smaller coaxes. Not so familiar with amp tech so I don’t know what kind of situations current capability is needed.

It is rated at 20 w rms full range.

I did try it high passed at 125 hz on a pair of satellites and they worked but we're only adequate for a very small room.

Okay. Where did you find out that 20W rms rating?

My idea was to drive with HF channel +95dB 8ohm 15” from 100-200hz and main channels to lower octaves.