The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Yep, got my Vifa TC9FD's from Strassacker, they're listed as Vifa 9BN119/8... had a few weeks wait as they're ordered in from the factory before shipping.

Just placed an order for a 10 pack of A3 foam-core sheets from Amazon. Plus from Blue Aran, two Faital Pro 4FE32 4" 8 Ohm drivers :D

If I read the posts correctly, the length of the pathway doesn't need altering for different 3" - 4" drivers!? Looking forward to building and listening to these... If they turn out well, I may look at a wood build for my HT system.

Questions abt the Dayton Sub Nautaloss...

Grandcalmar,
I revised the design a bit to reduce the size and volume which actually gives a little more max SPL. Here is the profile of the sealed TL, your task is to take this linear profile and roll it up to a spiral however you can. This gives you some room for creativity with how you want to make the final outer envelope.

Starting from the driver face.
10 in tall x 4 in long
7 in tall x 6 in long
5 in tall x 24 in long going to a point (sealed tail end for 34 in long TL)
The internal width is 8.5 in

This design can take max of 14 volts rms. Here is SPL at 14 volts, and I think it improved the impulse response somewhat.

To be honest I don't understand the dimensions...
Can you X or Grandcalmar sketch a simple picture of it with the dimensions?

Regards

From those dimensions given... a straight version.

There has to be an easy way to physically map the dimensions out for building the curved unit.

Attachments

• Nautaloss_sub.JPG
    Nautaloss_sub.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 340
Sorry, was just playing with SketchUp... playfully took your Nautaloss Sub dimensions literally...

If I move onto a wood build, I'll get some bendy-ply [not kerf board] so shouldn't have much trouble doing the Nautaloss as is... Is there any differences in sizing between the single and duel driver versions? Or just driver position on the baffle?

Can't wait to get the bits, start building and play around with the baffle area... while I'm waiting impatiently I did another SketchUp :D

Attachments

• Nautaloss.JPG
    Nautaloss.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I made the mouth area taller to accommodate dual drivers and squashed the spiral to fit - you could make the whole thing taller without squashing. I did it to make sure I could make it out of a single sheet of foam core. Nice sketch up drawing. How flexible is the bendy plywood? The hot melt glue can still be used to hold in place as tacks while the PVA or titebond dries. Looking forward to your build. This is the flattest response speaker I have built - it will just need some BSC in the DSP. I think I used a -4dB high shelf with a 0.5 Q at 1.1khz.

Thinking on the wood build, will probably make an MDF template of the complete spiral and outer shell, cut 5 layers from 25mm MDF, then add two sides.

Some very interesting sections in the B&W pt.1 & 2 vid's posted... really liked the demonstration of wave diffraction using water in the dish, with clay boundaries to represent the enclosure... easy, quick & fun to try at home too.

With the FC build I want to try curving the inside transition from baffle to side walls... probably try doing a removable baffle that can be swapped out to try different things.

Doing a curved side wall would be cool on your Nautaloss, but very hard to do... was just thinking of adding bits to give a smoother internal transition, and a rounded front baffle... with a layered MDF approach, the baffle mount and internal sweep could be easily integrated into a single template.

Working on a plausible model of a template...

Attachments

• Nautaloss_2.JPG
    Nautaloss_2.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 352
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think it can be done in foam core with a one piece wrap around front and sidewall covering initial sidewall used to define spiral. The front edges of the spiral wall where it meets the front baffle would be flat with radiused corners and protrudes out for the front wrap around baffle. It would definitely be a foam core sculpture and art piece as much as a speaker. I like your concept with the internal rounded pieces but not sure if they make a difference. I put gray open cell foam in those areas on mine to minimize reflections.

Last edited:
It is a beautiful shape, and all thanks to your efforts here :) The template shape itself would make for a nice room ornament.

It'll be done with a jigsaw, I cut curves better than straight lines. Plus, with a touch of sanding to smooth out afterwards, all should be well, ... The nubs I add for the base give a 5° rear tilt.