The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

Indeed the quality and extension of the bottom was the first thing that struck me with the FR179s. They are still very early in their break-in, and if I may be permitted - some harshness and resonances in the upper vocal and wind instrument range that's similar to what I've heard from many untreated whizzer coned drivers of this size range ( Fostex mostly).

The wood cones are actually reconstituted veneer similar to that seen in architectural veneers the like of Evolution HD by Cedan, Brookside ,etc - but of coarse thicker and without the paper or phenolic backer, and it wouldn't likely lend itself to shallow curvilinear profiles such as paper or metals can be (relatively - ask Mark Fenlon about that :D) easily be formed.

There are several other "wood" coned models of similar design - someone with time and money to burn might be inspired to experiment ;)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Polar data for Nautaloss I & II

This is posted in a different thread but for completeness I am putting links here for polar response data from 0 deg to 90 deg measured 1 meter away for both the Nautaloss I and II.

Nautaloss I:

402193d1393334341-3-4-driver-very-good-dispersion-high-xmax-nautaloss-i-1-driver-polar-1m.png

Nautaloss II:

402191d1393333563-3-4-driver-very-good-dispersion-high-xmax-nautaloss-ii-2-drivers-polar-1m.png

Grandcalmar,
Can you show a picture of just the side with folds? I think I see it but not totally clear where the scored line is.

X,

Please see the attached - I hope it makes it a bit clearer. The first photo shows the marked-out cut-lines. The FC is nominally 30 inch (or 76.2 cm) long, but I've seen some small variations, so my cut-lines assume a total length of 76.1 cm (and I trim the length if required). Each fold adds about 1 mm to the outside dimension and, depending how the one glue joint is configured, the thickness of the FC (5 mm) needs to be taken into account. I quite like this way of making "the box" - only one glue joint (for 4 of the sides) to worry about and nice rounded corners, but it's obviously limited by the length of the FC board - perfect for my Nautaloss though:p

I added the second Fountek FE85 to my (one) Nautaloss box and a big improvement in sound level. I added BSC based on your recommendation and also a 2nd order high pass at 200 Hz. I can't wait to finish the second box and hook them up with the Nautaloss Dayton sub.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140225_191954.jpg
    IMG_20140225_191954.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_20140225_192504.jpg
    IMG_20140225_192504.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20140225_192522.jpg
    IMG_20140225_192522.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_20140225_192657.jpg
    IMG_20140225_192657.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20140225_192740.jpg
    IMG_20140225_192740.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20140225_193048.jpg
    IMG_20140225_193048.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 197
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the photos - much clearer now how you did it. Nice technique and saves on a lot of gluing joints. I will try it on my next box.

How do you like the sound of the dual driver Nautaloss with BSC and high pass filter? What are you using for the 2nd order high pass? Passive line level HPF or speaker level big fat capacitor and coil?

Looking forward to your listening impressions with the full system.

DYIaholic

The addiction continues. I just picked these up from across the Salish Sea this weekend. I know it's not foam core but thought you guys might like to see them anyhoo.

Just beautiful!

I fear I may have got the bug bad. Spent the last week wading through the TPA3116D2 amp thread (thanks X!) and now have a board on order. I need to run the FC speakers with something don't I;)

Cheers!

How do you like the sound of the dual driver Nautaloss with BSC and high pass filter? What are you using for the 2nd order high pass? Passive line level HPF or speaker level big fat capacitor and coil?
Looking forward to your listening impressions with the full system.

Fat capacitor and coil. I've got the Nautaloss set up near field with a single vifa mini Karlsonator on the other side. Obviously a weird combo and a bit hard to draw any conclusions, but in a strange way the ample bass from the Karlsonator compensates for the lack in the Nautaloss and it's listenable. I'll report back once I've finished the second box and have it correctly set up with the sub.

Cheers!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think you are going down the road I am and will eventually get something like a miniDSP or miniSHARC. Once you experience real time XO adjustment - you won't go back to speaker level XO's. It is so convenient and great for testing out new setups. Totally worth $80 for miniDSP and $10 for plugin. They get you on shipping though... There is absolutely no bleed in with the XO if you pick a steep curve like a 48dB/oct LR or BW. You can pick your choice of slope 6dB, 12dB, 18dB, 24dB, 36dB, 48dB. Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley. Any frequency you want. BSC or any EQ is a snap. I highly recommend it given that good quality bi-amping is so cheap now.

I think you are going down the road I am and will eventually get something like a miniDSP or miniSHARC. Once you experience real time XO adjustment - you won't go back to speaker level XO's.

Oh dear, I've been doing some reading and I think you are right. Let's do it with bits and bytes rather than with brute force manipulating magnetic fields. Makes a lot of sense!

Nautaloss II - Fountek FE85

X,

I finally got around to finishing the second (Nautaloss FE85) enclosure and have just been listening to them mated to the Dayton sub. I didn't have the second XO and BSC wired up yet and so just used a 147 uF cap on both satellites. First listening impressions with this set up were not good - harsh and squawky - which I guess was to be expected. Very happy with the sub though.

The next step is to get set up for taking measurements to assist me in getting the XO and BSC correct. I've also got a feeling a miniDSP will soon be on order;).

Cheers!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X,

I finally got around to finishing the second (Nautaloss FE85) enclosure and have just been listening to them mated to the Dayton sub. I didn't have the second XO and BSC wired up yet and so just used a 147 uF cap on both satellites. First listening impressions with this set up were not good - harsh and squawky - which I guess was to be expected. Very happy with the sub though.

The next step is to get set up for taking measurements to assist me in getting the XO and BSC correct. I've also got a feeling a miniDSP will soon be on order;).

Cheers!

I am not sure if the problem is with the aluminum cones Founteks. It may be that you don't have the baffle step correctly applied which requires either a BSC that is more aggressive, or the driver is harsh in general. Maybe buy some Vifa's and swap it out? Alternatively, hold off judgement until you get a mic, miniDSP, and REW all setup. They make a difference in the sound. Although I recall the Vifa's sounded pretty good running full range with the sub running full range.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Unrolled Nautaloss - the "Dagger" with FE103EN

Here is a design for an unrolled Nautaloss called the Dagger for an easy build using flat wood panels. This design is for Cradeldorf who is interested in using FE103EN's.

The sim ended up with a 8 in tall x 5 in wide baffle where the drive mounts and the Dagger is 35 inches long. This driver will need a BSC (0.9 mH and 6 ohm) to keep the XO below 1 kHz. Without the BSC, the roll-off starts too high and the woofer will be expected to go up to 1kHz. Maybe this is OK but I was thinking more of a FAST-style alignment.

Attachments

• Nautaloss-I-FE103EN-Freq-1m.png
    Nautaloss-I-FE103EN-Freq-1m.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
Okay cool, I'll give it a shot this weekend and then report back. Thanks Buddy. :)
I'm gonna screw it to the outside since all I have are Erse super q inductors. ;) gonna need to source the resistors though. wouldn't the crossover that's built into the subwoofer do this?

Last edited: