• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Morgan Jones mini tube headphone Amplifier

Do the tubes need to all be matched? Is there a recommended place/brand of tubes to purchase?
Not in my experience. There should be hundreds of places in the US to buy tubes from at all prices. Or go for the russian equivalents but even they have gone up in price.
I think I still have some E88CC NOS Philips new in original boxes. When you are interested let me know and we can work out a deal. ;)

Then using the bolt should not have sizzled my transformer. Running power to my transformer and checking the voltage at the secondaries while they are not connected shouldn't sizzle it either should it?
Correct. You must have grounded something else you shouldn't have.

Its not toroidal is it? If you pass a bolt through the middle of a toroid and ground both ends of the bolt it will sizzle!

I used the Morgan jones optimized schematic.

My plan is to just connect the power supply board to the new transformer with only those grounds connected to start. Then traces the grounds one by one and connect the tubes one by one.

Picking up a fuse today or tomorrow. 500 mA fast blow 250 V. I hope that is a good size.

I am perplexed now. I am using the following power supply. http://headwize.com/images4/cmoy5_1e.gif

When I have just the 6.3 v side hooked up I gets about 6.8v and my tubes light up. That seems pretty good. I check the voltage on my transformer for the 250v wires, red and red, and get about 270v. Then I connect the red red to the power supply to rectify and I keep blowing my 250v 500 mA fast blow fuse. I do not have the 250v leg of the ps hooked up to the amp at all. I am not sure why it keeps blowing.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
btw Stixx is spot on the critic of the type of amp. I add: smooth sound, no excitement.

My guess is that most of the verdicts on the sound of this amp will be verdicts of the output caps. Anyone tried with big MKP or bypassing HQ lytics?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 238
I did. I didn't have room for big MKP's, but I bypassed the 470uF 'lytics with some nice MKP.
A good transformer coupled amp still sounds better to me but is also in a very different league money-wise...;)

PS. On the topic of output caps... my other OTL amp used Siemens MKV caps... those need quite long to burn in but then are really good.