• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Mivera Audio Purestream DAC DIY KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Just over a year ago I started a beta testing company called Mivera Audio. Our first product was the Superstream streamer. We sold a couple dozen of them, and client feedback was outstanding. It was favorably compared with almost everything on the market.

Following that we released the Purestream DAC. It's a very unique SDM design leveraging the awesome power of the SRC/SDM engines built into some of today's best media players, with an absolutely no compromise, purpose built DAC designed to run at a fixed frequency of 11.289Mhz. Response to this DAC when used together with the Superstream was outstanding as well. In fact, The only reported DAC it couldn't match is the $90000 MSB Select DAC 2. See review here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/p...ne-rig-focal-utopia-mivera-superstack.838570/

I call the Purestream together with the Superstream the "Mivera Stack"

More feedback on the Mivera stack can be found here:

A review of the Mivera sever, streamer and DSD Dac

Well our beta testing program has run it's course. We are shifting gears to OEM systems with another company. So rather than let the brand and products die, I decided to turn the entire lineup into DIY kits of the very highest quality. First up will be the Purestream DAC. Details on this DAC can be found here:

https://www.miveraaudio.com/product-page/mivera-audio-purestream-dsd-256-dac

It's a modular design, and perfectly suited as a highly customizable DIY kit. We use an ultra low noise +-15v DC SMPS a the main supply. Following that we have a regulator board called the "Pureblock" It takes 4x TO-220 style regulators, and can be customized with a wide variety of caps based on personal taste and regulators chosen. In the commercial version we use Belleson SPZ in +5/+7/+15/-15v.

Belleson Medium Current Regulators

But any other TO-220 style regulator with minimum 1 amp rating can be used as well. For caps we use a blend of ultra low ESR polymers from Nichicon and united Chemi-con. See picture of Pureblock below.

Following the Pureblock, we go into the Purestream DAC board. It's loaded with 8x LT 3042 LDO's to power each section discretely. The Xmos USB receiver gets 1, the clock get's 1, and 6 of them power the AK4490 (fixed in DSD bypass mode) alone. The on-board clock is an NDK NZ2520SD in 22.579Mhz. We had a pile of them measured and sorted and only stock units with better than -111dBc 10hz phase noise. However we recently acquired 100 units of the brand new NDK 2520SDA's. They are much better performing units. I haven't measured them yet, but to my ears a randomly selected unit off the reel sounded better than a 2520SD that was confirmed to have -113.8dBc @ 10hz phase noise. So they are a game changer at the price point. We will offer these as an option. I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the audio industry who has these so far.

As far as the DSD filter goes, it's all discrete Panasonic PPS caps, and thin film resistors. For gain stage we use 2520/990 style discrete opamps. Simply plug them into the sockets. There's probably a dozen choices out there that are compatible, but the Weiss OP2-BP's are the very best I've ever tried.

Well I think that's enough for now, I will add more details as we go. If folks are interested in this kit let me know. I will need 10 commitments to buy before I build a batch of 20. The Superstream uses all parts available from 3rd parties. I will share details on how to build it as well if there's enough interest in the Purestream.

Attachments

• Pureblock.jpg
    Pureblock.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • Purestream DAC board.jpg
    Purestream DAC board.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 1,484
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Mivera Audio Purestream inside.jpg
    Mivera Audio Purestream inside.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 1,425
  • Mivera Audio Purestream DAC.jpg
    Mivera Audio Purestream DAC.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 1,423
  • Mivera Audio Purestream DAC Rear XLR output.jpg
    Mivera Audio Purestream DAC Rear XLR output.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Puregain with Weiss OP2-BP.jpg
    Puregain with Weiss OP2-BP.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Mivera Audio Superstream.jpg
    Mivera Audio Superstream.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Superstream.jpg
    Superstream.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 468
  • NDK SDA2520.jpg
    NDK SDA2520.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
You guys are probably wondering about prices. Well I will sell the Purestream (populated with NDK NZ2520SDA clock) Puregain and Pureblock boards for $600 USD shipped world wide via DHL express. Purestream cases will be an extra $250 including shipping world wide. I will work on a list of several options and sources for all of the other components required to build the DAC.

e60a0a860ca824b8391a3397943241ac.jpg

Datasheet for the hot off the press NDK NZ2520SDA clock is finally publicly available. It can be found here:

http://www.ndk.com/images/products/catalog/c_NZ2520SDA_e.pdf

The Weiss OP2-BP discrete class A opamps are masterpieces of engineering. The only DAC's they are currently available in besides the Purestream is the $20000 Weiss Medea, along with the Weiss DAC1 MK3. They are improved versions of the OP1-BP with the following improvements:

-Emitter follower to drive bootstrapped cascode of input
differential pair omitted; instead current source with emitter-referenced used.

- Trim range of DC offset adjustment reduced; drift improved by use
of precision resistors in the active load.

- Improved bias line (frontend, output stage).

- Use of 68 pF capacitors instead of 47 pF for emitter follower
feed-forward.

- Improved thermal coupling of output stage transistors by use of a
common heatsink for all four emitter follower transistors.

- Use of SMD parts for the power transistors.

- RLC decoupling for frontend to improve PSRR.

- Differential decoupling capacitor for output stage to reduce
harmonic distortion content in supply current

Datasheet for the OP1-BP can be found here:

http://www.weiss.ch/files/downloads/op1-bp/OP1-BP-Datasheet-R1.pdf

The custom units calibrated with custom heatsinks for the Purestream cost $175 each. Yes expensive, but the Bugatti of discrete class A opamps. Well worth the price of admission.

Attachments

• Weiss OP2-BP top.JPG
    Weiss OP2-BP top.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Weiss OP2-BP bottom.jpg
    Weiss OP2-BP bottom.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
The best power supply to use to feed the Pureblock is the Daitron HFD30-15.

https://daitronglobal.com/products/power/hfd30.html

Ripple, leakage current and EMI is outstanding. Same with the MTBF rating:

https://daitronglobal.com/products/power/list/hfd30/pdf/emc_hfd30.pdf

They can be ordered from your local Daitron distributor direct. In the US, they are $200 each in single quantities.

Keep in mind if the Belleson SPZ's are used in the Pureblock, there's over 200dB of PSRR between the Pureblock and the LT3042's on the DAC board.

Ripple noise under no load and full load in picture of the Daitron HFD30-15, before the 200dB PSSR following it!

Attachments

• Daitron HFD15.PNG
    Daitron HFD15.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
I forgot to mention there's jumper pins on the Puregain board to set output from 2/3V single ended, or 3/6v balanced. There's also another set of jumpers for an optional ultrasonic filter at 5Mhz. Only required in rare cases with tube gear. Haven't found a situation where it was needed yet.

Wow this looks a little daunting for the beginner. I think maybe I better just save up for the commercial version :p. Do you think you will add aoip input in future versions?

Actually it's very easy to build. The only soldering required is the simple through hole caps in the Pureblock board, and the through hole TO-220 regs in the Pureblock. Everything else just plugs in. The Puregain plugs onto the Purestream board, and the opamps just plug into the sockets. I'm going to include the cables that plug from the Pureblock to power the Purestream/Puregain boards. And from the power supply to the Pureblock. For an extra $50 plus cost of regulators I can send the Pureblock with the regs and caps populated for those who don't want to solder.

Keep in mind that this DAC is much better than it appears by looking at the boards. My client with the MSB Select DAC 2 likes the Mivera Stack better than his 15000 Euro total DAC/server combo he sold.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/fs-totaldac-d-1-dual-d-1-server-sold.822189/

Regarding AOIP. Not sure if I'll ever release a DIY kits with that. If so it will be multichannel and much more expensive.

Last edited:
He says how much the individual board sets are in the first few posts but yes it would be good to get a nice itemized list for quick reading.. for people who don't intend to roll caps, opamps etc and just want as close to the commercial as possible

Okay I'll make a post with a clear list of the cost if all the same parts that the commercial version uses are used, and if all the cheapest parts are used. Keep in mind even with the very cheapest parts, this will still be a very good DAC. And still have the option to swap the regs, power supply and opamps down the road as budget allows. And you don't need to buy my case either. If you want you could just put the boards in a cardboard box to start.

Okay here's the breakdown of total cost if you buy all of the same parts as used in the commercial Purestream:

Purestream DAC board/Puregain, Pureblock (with populated caps and regulators)= $650

Purestream case= $250

Belleson SPZ regulators x4= $218

Weiss OP2-BP discrete class A opamps x4= $700

Daitron HFD30-15 power supply= $200

Hypex Softstart= $40

Bulgin power button with blue LED= $30

Schurter IEC mains inlet with switch= $12.50

Schaffner medical grade mains filter with 2uA leakage current= $8.20

Neutrik DLX XLR connectors= $9

UP-OCC silver cable for XLR outputs= $40

Shielded cables for AC to softstart/EMI filter/power supply= $10

GRAND TOTAL= $2167.70

Now I'll work on the cheapest possible option for the next post.

Last edited:
Now here's the cheapest option:

Purestream DAC board/Puregain, Pureblock = $600

Cardboard box= free

Fairchild LM7815 regulators x4= $2.40

Electrolytic caps for Pureblock= $2

Five Fish DOA-17 opamps DIY kit x4= $100

XP power ECL30UD02-T power supply= $62.80

Schurter IEC mains inlet with switch= $12.50

Neutrik DLX XLR connectors= $9

Standard copper cables for XLR/ RCA and mains= $5

GRAND TOTAL= $793.70

Keep in mind even with this option it will be a better sounding DAC than most commercial DAC's you will find under $10000

Last edited:
Keep in mind nobody's limited to just those 2 options. Those were just examples of the most expensive way possible to build the DAC and the cheapest. However anyone can choose to build their own case, linear power supply, one of the different 990 style opamps, different regulators and caps etc. The only items that will actually be coming from me are the Purestream/Puregain/Pureblock. Also the case, and Weiss opamps if those are chosen. The rest of the parts you will buy yourself from the appropriate suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.