• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Mivera Audio Purestream DAC DIY KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The full stack with Weiss OP2-BP's
fb4c01aedf150f0b643ba40a53447ce6.jpg
2297aa622def43e4bd7b6ff37450aa36.jpg

This looks really interesting!

I was reading about the whole system before on your website and if I'm not mistaken, you're converting PCM to DSD 256 using software on the server then feeding the DAC directly to DSD 256, is this correct? If correct, do we get the software as well?

Do we have to use I2S directly or there is also a USB interface?

Thanks
Do

Hi Do,

Yes this is correct.

There 3 choices of software to use:

1: Daphile
2: Hqplayer
3: Roon

Great news is the best sounding upsampler is in the free software Daphile. But between all 3 media players you can get probably 100 different sound profiles out of this DAC. It has a USB interface on it.

So no summing is done?
If the user wishes to do proper SE conversion, an extra external sum is needed?

I'm slow as usual'..

That's the only way to do it. But it works just fine. I sold a few wired that way. These guys are enjoying the best sound they had in their systems by far. In that review I posted comparing the Purestream to the MSB Select 2, the headphones were driven directly from the Weiss opamps with single ended adapters that tie the negative to the ground. Sounds good enough to him to rate the Purestream #2 out of over $300000 of DAC's he's owned. Only one beating it costing $90000.

The Puregain equipped with the Weiss opamps can drive 60mA into a 10 ohm load, while still operating in pure class A and meeting all specs in the datasheet. If we compare to an LM4562 based gain stage, it maxes out at 23mA running in class B into a 600ohm load. They will burst into a ball of flames at 53mA.

If anyone wants to build a full blown DAC/Pre utilizing the Purestream, I'd recommend the Vicol Audio Maya:

http://www.vicol-audio.ro/maya.php

It's really a waste of the beautiful Puregain gain stage using an active preamp after it. It was designed to be used with passive preamps, which is why it's so robust. The very best possible is Slagleformer AVC based. But the remote controlled version is OEM only and very expensive. So for most diyers, next best choice I would choose is the Maya.

Last edited:
You should also look into the LDR3x modules or other Tortuga Audio LDR products. They're passive and to me so very transparent.

Do

That's another great option. But what the autoformer's have over them is they don't lower output impedance as you attenuate. They are still resistive devices that attenuate by wasting the current off as heat. Where Autoformer's waste nothing. They just lower voltage, raise current, and lower output impedance as you attenuate. Similar to gearing down a transmission for more low end torque. You get less top end (voltage) but more torque (current) as you attenuate. And it's at lower volumes when that extra drive is needed the most. They also degrade over time, where autoformer's don't.

With the autoformer's (54 step version like in my Purevolume preamp) if you attenuate 10 steps down from unity gain with the Purestream, you are at 0 ohm output impedance. At unity gain (full blast) output impedance is 10 ohms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.