• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Midlife Crisis - My 833C Amp Build

George, we now have the 5.20" tall extrusion in stock

I saw that on your website. That amp is a ways off in the future. I might need more height, but your chassis is the only thing out there that can handle the weight. Maybe some more creative packaging will be needed.

Maybe we'll see about adding wheels too...

I haven't weighed all the transformers yet......I might need a built it fork lift.....Or I might need to make it into two mono blocks, but then it wouldn't be a "kilowatt in a box."

I had to leave all of the workbenches, shelving, racks and stuff behind and give away or sell a lot of stuff when we left Florida. We put the house on the market for more than I thought it was worth, and got a cash offer quickly with a 3 week move out date. We have moved twice in the past 18 months and I can't find squat. I do know where the Landfall chassis and most of the parts for the half built amp is, but I can't find the transformers.

In Florida, I did everything in a 10 X 10 foot room. Now I have over half of a 2000 square foot basement, I just have to build it all out. One and a half workbenches are done........

Maybe a Chevette budget, but I am aiming for 1KW of vacuum tube audio power.

Have a look at the Eimax 3CX tubes e.g. 3CX1200A7 or 3-500Z (3kV plate, 3/4A Ipmax and 25W of grid drive needed) - have a look at Data sheets on RF Power Triodes for some others. A few pax have made PP amps from these - they were cheap 10y ago - but some impressive plate voltages on the big ones

Actually, I suspect I'm telling you to suck eggs as I suspect you've seen all this before!

Last edited:
I have played with RF power tubes including the 3-500Z for RF and audio amps. I had saved some of the 4CX series (4CX250 and 4CX350) but I had planned an RF linear amp for them. They got sold and my RF amp will use MRF150's (sand based life forms).

I already have two sets of HUGE OPT's. Both pairs are 1250 ohms CT Plitron toroids, rated for 400 watts at 20 Hz. This precludes the use of big voltage RF tubes, since they would need 5000 to 12000 ohms. These OPT's were intended for 6 to 8 6550's on 500+ volts. They wouldn't take KV level B+. I'm probably stretching them a bit on 650V at 500 watts.

The amp will use sweep tubes, but just which ones and how many hasn't been chosen yet. The choice will be made from tubes that I already have plenty of (that budget thing) but that is still a big list.

I have seen 525 watts flow through these OPT's when fed by 4 X 35LR6's on 650 volts. I think 6 of them per channel would be needed for long term reliability. I have about 50 of them and I got them cheap.

If 4 X 36LW6 will run at that power continuously for a few hours, I may consider them, but they may bee too tall for the Landfall box unless I make an extended cage.

There are other possible combinations too, but I will start a new thread and document all the testing once I have a fully operational lab. With all the other things going on right now, that may be a few months out.

Am I correct in believing they are yet another 807 "mutant" with bigger plates?

No, they are the last and biggest of the TV horizontal sweep tubes (line output in much of the world) made before the TV world went completely solid state.

The 6LW6, 26LW6, and 36LW6 themselves went through several upgrades without a type number change, or even a suffix (there is no 6LW6A). All of the upgrades involved additional heat radiating fins attached to the plate, and even a bigger bottle to hold it all. I have seen both bottle sizes and several fin sizes and types in the 6LW6 and 36LW6. I haven't seen a fat bottled 26LW6, but they may exist. The smallest of the breed will begin to show plate color at about 60 watts dissipation, while the biggest will eat over 90 watts without redness. All are rated for 40 watts.

All true sweep tubes have a sensitive screen grid that will blow up if fed B+ voltage. Most work best at 150 to 200 volts. This makes UL or triode impossible on most tubes. I have had runaway issues when attempting triode mode with the 6LW6.

Peak cathode current rating is 1.4 Amps. Can't do that with a 6L6/807 type. The 6BG6 is the sweep tube version of the 6L6/807. There are some Sylvania / Phillips ECG 6BG6's out there with 7027A internals that will eat 40+ watts. The cathode, however will only support about 300 mA.

Holy Smokes Dave

It's not mentioned on our website, but we have a CNC router and can machine holes now too. We need at least a good sketch with hole size and placement dimensions. Though dwg or dxf files are preferred, a pdf or picture of your layout will suffice. Below is a picture of some work we did one weekend.

This is great news as I do all my chassis layouts in autocadd.
I'll be doing a layout in the next couple weeks and will send you a prototype for pricing. If its in cadd, do you still need a dimensional layout or will the entities suffice? Can you also do lettering on the faceplates? Can the faceplates be 1/4" alum?

No dimensions required, we work in AutoCAD also.
Yes, we can engrave.
We only stock and machine 1/8" aluminum. But since you're the second guy in two weeks (and ever) to ask for 1/4" face, we'll get some longer endmills. You'd still need to provide the material though.
I will mention that if you use our standard front (faceplate), there are no exposed screws on the front of the chassis. Not the case with custom faceplates because of how they attach.
If you email us at feedback@landfallsystems.com, I'll send you an AutoCAD template to start from. Just stretch it to size and make your holes.

833A amp

Hello everybody, I am building an 833A amp. pointless going into detail, so I have posted my circuit diagram...any questions comments and or observations then I am all ears and will respond.

Attachments

• 833a AMPLIFIER COMPLETE CIRCUIT 1ST AUGUST 2015...2.jpg
    833a AMPLIFIER COMPLETE CIRCUIT 1ST AUGUST 2015...2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 805
13E1

Hi sorry for the late reply. Your question as to why I am using the 13E1. The front end of the amp using 6N7 into 13E1 is the best sounding amp I have ever built in 66 years. So I decided to use that tested design to drive the 833A. I had originally thought about using a GM70 but then decided to stick with what I knew would work. So the 8 pieces of GM70 that I have are now redundant and I will probably sell them as the 833 Amp will be the last one that I build. Do I have a stock of 13E1's.....I do have 20 pieces which I have had for a number of years, and again I had better get round to doing something with them before I am too old to use a soldering iron

Hallo 833 Friends.
I was There and could listen the Speaker with the 2x 8" and the Bayma AMT- Professional Series.
Realy realy good, but to expensive for my low Money Bugdet.
The Amp you all Know is The Silvercore produced One and The Speaker is from
LSV Lautsprechershop Achenbach- only in German.
He prefers the PLH Speaker in different Sizes mostly.
The French Guys produces a lot good Speakers- look to Focal, Davis, Audax.
Hifi-Music-World 2008
raum2.jpg

I remember that the AMT a bit Sounds like Elektrostatik Speaker.
Together with 833A was very impressing Soundstge.
It was a nice Day Meeting other Enthusiasts in Hi-Fi DIY.

Happy Building.
Regards Hagen.
I mostly reading in Threads and a bit Assembling Amps and Speakers.

833 midlife

Ah well the bug has bitten me long ago , and i have some tubes in my basement for this so also looking into this project :)

Yves courtiously emailed me the thread , so need sockets , the utput tranny is a bit over the budget............any other solutions ?

the powersupply i do my own SMPS , love these for today they offer so many advantages , and i have them already running on 845Se amps
Also building a 300Bse with a stacked SMPS as in my 845 so u get DRD , ok nothing new but shouold be interesting

Maybe i should start my own thread for this ?

So suggestions , welcome , next 2/3 months is the brainstorming time

-My wife, upon seeing the 833C triodes in person - "That's not an amp, that's a Midlife Crisis!"

-My reply, "Hey, it's cheaper than a Corvette..."

So was born my 833C SET monoblock project.

The 833C is a ruggedized version of the 833A, with thick graphite plates capable of 400W dissipation with forced air cooling to prevent melting of the glass envelope. See picture #1. It's a BIG tube, and I'll need some sort of containment vessel due to the exposed ultra-HV plate caps...I'm thinking a tempered glass cylinder on each mono.

This tube loves voltage, so I'm building with a B+ of 2300VDC, using a choke input supply. To do this I need a very high voltage PT, and a custom made first choke that can take the pounding of thousand of volts from the rectifiers; more on that in a minute. I've chosen the Hammond 733A for the 833 supply, bridge rectified with 16 Cree 1200V SiC schottky diodes per bridge, and the Hammond 369KX for the input/driver supply. One of the 733A is on backorder from Digikey until early April, but there's plenty to do before that gets here. Seven Panasonic T-HA and TS-HB caps in series will handle the C2 and C1 duties, respectively, with the appropriate balancing resistors.

The schematic is in picture #2. It borrows a bit from Michael Koster's Meteor, with a few differences, especially in the power supplies. I'll be using the K&K Audio versions of the Salas HV regulator to supply the bias voltages. Rod Coleman filament regulators (2 in parallel per 833C) will handle the 10V@10A filaments on each side. Driver is the 6E5P, triode strapped.

The key to all this is, of course, the 12K:4 series feed OPT. It will be custom made by Monolith Magnetics, with a 15kg amorphous core! They are also building the custom first PS chokes to withstand the pounding of the HT. They have guaranteed 8Hz to 60kHz small signal response and full power saturation at 35Hz max.

Full power, by the way, sims to be 195W at 2.5V input.

All this does not come cheaply. Total cost for parts will be ~$10K...but it's not a Midlife Crisis if it doesn't cost at least 5 figures, right!

Stay tuned.

On slight problem - you have semiconductors in the amp - so it's hybrid not tube; otherwise I like it.

How would you feed hungry grid? Maybe with 6c33, creating more problems..

Using a driver transformer if you can't find the right tube. That's what their job is - to supply current to loads like greedy grids.
I've also got an RCA 807 push pull modulator amp using 807 cathode drive that seems to work quite well. 6 tubes used in all. But a transformer would be another option.

As much as I like the amp you have - the minute I see semiconductors especially in the audio path, I call that cheating ! It's way too common these days.

Using a driver transformer if you can't find the right tube. That's what their job is - to supply current to loads like greedy grids.
I've also got an RCA 807 push pull modulator amp using 807 cathode drive that seems to work quite well. 6 tubes used in all. But a transformer would be another option.

As much as I like the amp you have - the minute I see semiconductors especially in the audio path, I call that cheating ! It's way too common these days.

If it sounds good (arguably better than the options you've suggested), what's wrong with taking the easy way utilizing modern technology?

If it's not your preference, than I understand that, but to call it cheating isn't really fair in my opinion. I think we're all after creating amplifiers that sound good to us, whether that's using a semiconductor or not.