The Making Of Turntable Belts

I experimented a lot with alternative material to make TT belts.
I tried magnetic tape, dental floss, o-rings and so on, but for me the best is surgical silk.
All stretchable materials, including rubber, tend to produce time delay that creates energy storage and sound degradation.
As such, with the use of a non-stretchable material there is an incredible improvement in sound quality. It just seems to have another TT a lot more expensive.
Also, surgical silk does not wear, even after years of use. It lasts longer than the TT.
For joining the ends a square knot is enough, and doesn't affect rotation.

I always used a rubber o-ring belt on my VPI TNT platter based TT. I use an SDS and had tried leather and different types of rubber. One night while my significant other and I were listening to Ella, I said "humor me a minute" and went and got a length of black braided auto upholstery thread from the sewing room and made a belt. First comment was, "did you turn the volume up?"... nope. It was faster, tighter, the bass went deeper and the soundstage was wider and deeper. Amazing. We sat there listening with our mouths agape for hours. Highly recommended. Never went back to rubber.

Cabsvrt
Good afternoon and I might add you have an outstanding music system. How are the dyna amps sounding for you. I had no idea they would drive the Martin Logans. I ordered 2 round rubber belts from China which I can use as well. Girth is small and they work well so far. However, I will be looking for at least one flat rubber belt. Again, congratulation on such a fine music system.

Bob

@rbwinterlink - Thanks for the compliment, I love my setup now but there's always room for improvement. Those amps do a surprisingly great job, but I am only driving the panels at 100hz - up with these. The Kinergetics Amp handles the rest. Rubber belts are great if you have vibrations you need to damp, but the constant minute stretching and relaxing they do is audible. Micro-Seiki used thread drive for their high end TT's, and I think they were on to the right track. Film tape drive likewise does not stretch, but I have not tried it. On my new TT project I might.

Last edited: