The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is too bad that people do not understand the differences between car engines. Most of you don't appear to know much about the subject.

It's too bad that you don't have a clue why people like to "persecute" you, John.

I got the 924 after my SAAB Sonett, that I had from new for 23 years and heavily modified, was destroyed in a firestorm.

Forgive my total ignorance, but was that one of those SAABs that you had to pull the engine to replace the starter?

No, I don't think so, but I did rebuild the SAAB engine, German Ford 1500cc, myself with a friend, once, and we lifted out the engine ourselves, without any block and tackle. I would CERTAINLY not want to get so deep into my 944. Too tight for backyard mechanics, without extra effort. Alas, the age of backyard mechanics has diminished.

944 vs. MX6

I recall smoking a 944 from 0-60 back in the early '90's in my pimped out MX6 turbo...:D

....but I didn't inhale...;):headshot:

... If I ask whether spark plug wires make a differnce, making the handling "sublime", "with greater air", "improved the sense of stopping" or provided a keener sense of "being there", will this thread self-destruct at post 10,000? :no::yawn:

Okay, I won't ask...

Turbos are nice, I tried to make a supercharger, once. I was going to put it on my 924. Still have the aircraft 28 V blower. Don't think it would fit in the 944. If I were younger, and more energetic,(even 10 years ago), I would have finished the job. It was just the thing the 924 needed to pull ahead of the pack.

Last edited:
John: Well, true- you'll recall that in my last couple years in California, I was driving a 380SE, a real taxi kinda machine. It wasn't going to win any drag races, but it had a solid feel and was a total pleasure to drive.

edit: My "woman's" cars have included a '91 RX7 convertible and a '93 MX-5. My equipment survived the experience.

Well John, since you asked, I've had to spend many an hour under the hood. Not trying to make fast you see, just trying to keep going. In my younger days, I was not as well financed as some others so that was a necessity. Now that things are better, I rely on others for the work.

But most of my experience is with inboard boat engines.

The only "fast car" people I am friends with are Keith Korecki and his 7 second Mustang and Lee Cox's 1500 horse Chevy mud racer.

Currently I have a Toyota Rav4, Mazda B-4000 4X4 and my wife's Taurus. Are those compromises John?

Lotus

back in '71 (or so) a buddy acquired a type 74 europa 5 speed (w/o his dad's persmission) while on a grad student stipend, and asked if I wanted to drive it. I said "sure, why not"... so we headed south down US 29 in Albemarle Co., thru twists and turns that'd make u puke with handling to die for. I wanted one, but, alas I had even less income.

Driving back into town, between 3rd & 4th gear, a horrendous cyclical clang developed from mid engine. We pulled over, called for rescue, and, as the specialty car dealer was trying to lumber it up onto a flatbed under power(which I vehemently warned against, to no avail) a louder final cklang emitted, along with a spray of oil and pieces of engine block..:(:(

This was on a thursday, pete's dad was coming to town the following weekend, hmmnn...

We found a wrecked R16 shortblock somewhere in upstate NewYork, had it express trucked to Va. by tuesday, and spent the remaining 4 days pulling the busted block out, unbolting all the ancillary systems (transaxle, that sort of thing), reattached everything to the new block, dropped it back into the chasis, and had it running by Friday nite. Luckily, we had a fraternity full of beer guzzlers willing to help with the lifting. We did all this with no manual, and minimal toolset, no tackle, and I was the supposed "expert" on all things mechanical (I'd built several dozen 4 ft^3 folded horns for brothers' sound sytems)...amazingly, it ran great...;)

go figure.... me an "expert"... that sure was a fun car to drive, though... felt like your a%& was dragging about 1/2" off the ground @80+mph, though...:eek::headshot:

Last edited:
The Jack Bybee NAQ

Dear Andy,

Holding you in high respect, may I suggest you to find several devices, measure them, listen them and then publish your results?

Right now your post has no advantage over other party - it's the same enumeration.

Dimitri can verify this for you, if you insist.
No comments.

Can this work as a noise reduction system with a threshold? Let's assume the core has very high permeability and very low coercive force.

Attachments

• Andy.GIF
    Andy.GIF
    3.8 KB · Views: 289
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Guys, you have no idea how I just laughed, even when I wasnt supposed to

Oh, and which of these are we talking about :rolleyes:
And that :down: isnt cheap, it cost like a new car

Attachments

• Porsche 924.JPG
    Porsche 924.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Porsche 924 2.JPG
    Porsche 924 2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Porsche 924 3.JPG
    Porsche 924 3.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
your standard Mercedes in Europe is called a TAXI.

Only the E and S types.
The ones driving an S/SE model that's over 10 years old overhere is folk you better leave be, speaking from ample acquaintance close-up. (cough)
I never would have guessed SY as part of the hood. :clown:

Neighbor friends of mine down the road have an SL65AMG, '06-'08 metal fold top model, that's what i'd call Pimp de Luxe grade overhere.
Not the daily driver but they leave it out in font of the house 24/7, despite having three garage doors, the hobby classic Tifosi car has a showroom of it's own inside the house.
(the all-alu body Z06 and ZR1(blue devil) is more to my liking, and cheaper)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.