The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is different to say: Feedback is bad, that is based on subjective appraisal, and feedback is complex, which is an established fact. It just so happens that because feedback is complex, it most often does as much damage as it fixes. This is why people say: 'Feedback is bad' Usually they are right.
To say that Feedback is good, is a lot like saying: Digitized to improve the original performance. This farce goes on, all the time, as well.

But if you know the ins and out of feedback, you can use it to advantage and avoid the pitfalls. I believe that saying 'feedback is bad' as well as 'feedback is good' without any qualifications is an incorrect generalisation.
The problem is that if you use these generalisations you tend to divide people in two camps that mutually dig in. This is the best recipe for a stalemate, unless of course you think you can benefit from a stalemate; politics comes to mind.

[snip] is a lot like saying: Digitized to improve the original performance. This farce goes on, all the time, as well.

Is this another product of imagination? Who ever said that digitalisation improves the performance? You're again making things up John, that doesn't look good on you.

jd

But if you know the ins and out of feedback, you can use it to advantage and avoid the pitfalls. I believe that saying 'feedback is bad' as well as 'feedback is good' without any qualifications is an incorrect generalisation.
The problem is that if you use these generalisations you tend to divide people in two camps that mutually dig in. This is the best recipe for a stalemate, unless of course you think you can benefit from a stalemate; politics comes to mind.
jd

Jan,

We are greatly in agreement. Engineering is not hand waving. I used to claim that what an engineer did was to take a vaguely defined problem and first defined it so that at that point a technician could solve it. Seems others have researched this and now divide it into five steps.

The big problem is that to do the design you must be aware of all the significant problems. The better the product gets, the more the small issues become large.

Well, Jan, I NEVER make things up. I might remember something slightly wrong, but please don't call me a liar, again. Now, where did I hear Digitized to improve the original performance? Well, just this week on a PBS, American Public television, fund raiser, the commentator mentioned this regarding rock recordings from the '50's and '60's. Give me a break, YOU also know that these recordings were made on analog tape. How does digital IMPROVE it? This is caused by common propaganda promoting digital. Prove me wrong, if you can.

Well, Jan, I NEVER make things up. I might remember something slightly wrong, but please don't call me a liar, again. Now, where did I hear Digitized to improve the original performance? Well, just this week on a PBS, American Public television, fund raiser, the commentator mentioned this regarding rock recordings from the '50's and '60's. Give me a break, YOU also know that these recordings were made on analog tape. How does digital IMPROVE it? This is caused by common propaganda promoting digital. Prove me wrong, if you can.

John

There are folks using DSP to extract the performance parameters of the musician's actual work and then use this to recreate the performance totally electronically. This has the potential to take a horrible recording and redo it potentially as a robotic hand on a real piano in a real room, or the electronic simulation. So it actually is possible to improve a badly recorded performance by recreating it!

My comparison was NOT unsubstantiated or a nonsense statement. It made complete sense, at least to virtually every American.
What people fail to understand, is that negative feedback has been abused, and we have been able to prove it, by making more successful products with less, or even NO global feedback. Everyone look at the best efforts of Nelson Pass, Charles Hansen, and me, over recent years. We have been successful, even if our static measurements are slightly compromised. We like good measurements as well, and that is why Charles and I go to such a great extent to 'cherry pick' and match devices, and use exotic topologies, compared to a typical IC.
Jan, you seem to represent a group of people engaged in back-talk on this subject. You can growl amongst yourselves, but I will respond in kind, if chided.

The Dutch need SAAB. It would be a good collabaration between countries. Better than most. What happened to DAF? Do they still exist? What they would need to do is to make something, lighter for the Dutch market. Safe, but not snow-proof, necessarily. An export model, just like the SAAB Sonnet was.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DAF were absorbed into Volvo, a few decades ago, AFAIR.

My ex used to have a DAF (Trabant like) thingy:

Wonderful transmission: a pair of parallel cones connected by a rubber band!

They build the Volvo sports car at the time. They're now part of Mitsubishi, they're building the Colt. The DAF division that build that infinitely variable transmission was split off and later acquired by Bosch, the car electric company from Germany. I understand Bosch still builds those variomatic transmissions for several other car makers.
The DAF truck division later acquired the light truck division of Britisch Leyland, but I think they later sold it off again, don't know to whom. The truck division still makes trucks.

jd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.