The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

If I were you I would simply fire a relay from the 5V line to bring in the pre-regulated voltage to the 32V regulator ? Or to be flash, a switching FET, but the relay would win hands down if it were just for me.

I have moved on from the PSU's, on the bench now is an EQ for some 1905 Edison Diamond records, I have a box of new ones, yes never been opened since they were delivered to the record store!

Keep in mind that while we know that Technics is specifically sequencing the power supplies, we have only anecdotal evidence that improper sequencing may be an issue. Adding the extra components and function may have been considered good design practice and not in response to any particular problem/issue.

Using 3-pin adjustable regulators, it should be relatively easy to create the necessary control. (assuming it's necessary)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Keep in mind that while we know that Technics is specifically sequencing the power supplies, we have only anecdotal evidence that improper sequencing may be an issue. Adding the extra components and function may have been considered good design practice and not in response to any particular problem/issue.

It is an issue I can say from experience if you apply 32 volts first the logic locks up. Simultaneous is fine though.

Using 3-pin adjustable regulators, it should be relatively easy to create the necessary control. (assuming it's necessary)

It is an issue I can say from experience if you apply 32 volts first the logic locks up. Simultaneous is fine though.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BrianL, I can say from experience that replacing the caps in the PSU is easy and restores good performance to the stock PSU. jpjones did a simple re-cap on his and it works perfectly.

If you do make your own PSU circuit, please share your results, I have 2 PSU to build, and only plans for one right now... :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Some of you may have heard of the SP-10Mk2 PSU that Wayne made for in-house use at Pass Labs.

One has seemed to have gotten out of that house... :) :) :)

SP-10_PSU.jpg

(No, it's not completely stuffed, I need to make a Mouser order)

This will get a gorgeous chassis from Landfall Systems.

I still need to design and build another from scratch, but chatting with Dave Cawley as well as Wayne, I have a very solid idea of how to proceed. But I doubt it will be as completely cool as this one. :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dave - There is a power switch on the mains at the IEC, so the regulators are all up and stable, and the front panel switch engages the relays (simultaneously) to energize the TT.

Poli - Thanks! I am very interested in the results as well! :)