The importance of proper setup and vibrations control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
roddyama said:
I think the assumption that the acrylic is a "rigid" material is not altogether true. Ituitively, not having done an analysis, I would expect that the acrylic will have signifcant damping qualities in the treble range, as long as you can transfer the energy to the material.

I'm going by Peter's photo which shows what appears to be an acrylic sheet about 2 inches thick. That'd be pretty rigid. Perhaps not as rigid as a 2 inch thick slab of concrete, but still quite rigid in relative terms.

And yes, it would have more damping than concrete. But then treble frequencies aren't much of a problem to begin with. First they're at a much lower level than lower frequencies and they don't transmit very efficiently.

Furthermore, if I were to try and devise a method of tranfering that energy from the component to the acrylic, it would probably end up being an arangement similar to the spikes that Peter is using.

Sure, if your primary concern was transfering the energy. If your primary concern is to dissipate it and turn it into heat so less of it gets fed back to the source, then a soft footer would be the appropriate choice.

se

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JasonL said:
OK thenyou try getting out a cd that will no eject from a slot loaded cdrom then WITH OUT A HAMMER.

The Yums weren't slot loaded... are the CDs that are getting stuck the encrypted music disks some companies are trying to pass off as CDs.

With any Mac, if you restart and hold the mouse button down the CD will eject. If not then something is broken.

dave

One of the primary advantages to cones is that they provide a much smaller coupling point with higher PSI (given equal mass) than broad feet, thus better energy transfer. You can add mass but most feet on cheap crap will not transfer enough or the right bandwidth of vibration required. This brings in Peter's statement of differences of sound using different metals. More energy from a certain bandwidth is transfer from the amp to the stand thus changing the sound of his amp more to his liking. Some chassis materials and designs work better than others at minimizing or reinforcing the vibrations that affect the acoustic signature of an amp. IMHO, an amp that shows a dramatic change with cones has a problem with vibration and perhaps a change in materials is in order.

Philo said:
One of the primary advantages to cones is that they provide a much smaller coupling point with higher PSI (given equal mass) than broad feet, thus better energy transfer.

No, there's not. The same amount of energy is transfered regardless.

Apply 1 Newton of force to the pointy end, you get 1 Newton of force at the flat end. Apply 1 Newton of force at the flat end, you get 1 Newton of force at the pointy end.

Sure, you get a greater PSI at the pointy end, but that's just a function of area. The energy transferred is the same.

You can add mass but most feet on cheap crap will not transfer enough or the right bandwidth of vibration required. This brings in Peter's statement of differences of sound using different metals. More energy from a certain bandwidth is transfer from the amp to the stand thus changing the sound of his amp more to his liking.

And as I've said repeatedly, I don't care how anyone goes about getting the sound that they like. I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions about the physics. That's it.

se

Steve Eddy said:

I'm going by Peter's photo which shows what appears to be an acrylic sheet about 2 inches thick. That'd be pretty rigid. Perhaps not as rigid as a 2 inch thick slab of concrete, but still quite rigid in relative terms.

If you look at the photo, you'll notice that between concrete floor and acrylic board there is a carpet with 1/2" rubber underlayment. That makes it constrained layer construction.;)

Peter Daniel said:
If you look at the photo, you'll notice that between concrete floor and acrylic board there is a carpet with 1/2" rubber underlayment. That makes it constrained layer construction.;)

Mmmm. Where'd I put my Brooklyn accent?

Ah, there it is. Under the sofa cushions where all my other missing stuff ends up.

Ok.

Yeah, we gotcher constrained layer for ya raiiight heah, pal! *grabbing crotch* :mafioso:

se

Folks

Is this thread still about another gainclone or what?

Attachments

• hellr6.gif
    hellr6.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 472
gainclone i wanna see war.. !!! i was hopeing to read some stuff about amplifiers NOT the dam weight of things you put on your amps. i dunno what kinda glue people are on when they say the sound is better if you put weight on a amp. were talking audio hhere people not speed and arodynamics. like common people yuor telling me that puttin weight on a amp will make it sound better GET REAL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.