The (high-cap.) unregulated PSU for chipamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
x. onasis said:
People who draw a line in the sand are always standing on one side or the other.

The questionable perspective then becomes not where but why.

You cannot build youself up, by tearing someone else down.

Don't we see this over and over again?

Well, i would say different.

there are many of those who dont consider how things would look like from the other side of the line, and there are many of those who themselves are so small, that they by them selves dont measure up, and so tear everyone else down so to make themselves high.

but I fail to se the context here really..
you were sugesting that i only se things from one perspective then?
In wich case you really should get to know me better before making making such asumptions. those who do, would not agree at all.

Please take no offense, but I believe if you judge the values of others, you must never stop judging your own. This may lead to comfort, but it hinders growth.

My post wasn't necessarily directed to you, but perhaps all the conflicting, and disparaging discourse of late. In the context of your statement, "there are limits to how much help people need, and should be given....this is not DIY", I say, you're free to feel it, but why bring this judgement here?

I built my house. Yet a truck delivered the concrete. I do not even understand "water of crystalization." So left to me, Keene's Cement would never have been invented.

Plywood, boards, windows, doors and shingles were also delivered. Trusses too. I used pneumatic nail guns...... and many machines to construct 39 raised-panel, white oak cabinet doors for my kitchen.

For a year, I worked alone.

Was it DIY?

I might say so, but the army of workers who provided the tools and materials might disagree. Even the banker that loaned me the finances. And what about the hearty young lad I recruited from a tavern one afternoon to help carry the trusses up the muddy drive?

There is comfort in believing, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." but even more comfort in helping others become all they are capable of becoming. So I say, if others draw a line in the sand, it is not my growth that suffers, I would rather build bridges than fences.

Season's Greetings, my friend.
Have a listen. (My X-mas card to all)
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/wesun/20001224.wesun.08.ram

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1115979

x. onasis said:
Please take no offense, but I believe if you judge the values of others, you must never stop judging your own. This may lead to comfort, but it hinders growth.

My post wasn't necessarily directed to you, but perhaps all the conflicting, and disparaging discourse of late. In the context of your statement, "there are limits to how much help people need, and should be given....this is not DIY", I say, you're free to feel it, but why bring this judgement here?

I built my house. Yet a truck delivered the concrete. I do not even understand "water of crystalization." So left to me, Keene's Cement would never have been invented.

Plywood, boards, windows, doors and shingles were also delivered. Trusses too. I used pneumatic nail guns...... and many machines to construct 39 raised-panel, white oak cabinet doors for my kitchen.

For a year, I worked alone.

Was it DIY?

I might say so, but the army of workers who provided the tools and materials might disagree. Even the banker that loaned me the finances. And what about the hearty young lad I recruited from a tavern one afternoon to help carry the trusses up the muddy drive?

There is comfort in believing, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." but even more comfort in helping others become all they are capable of becoming. So I say, if others draw a line in the sand, it is not my growth that suffers, I would rather build bridges than fences.

Season's Greetings, my friend.
Have a listen. (My X-mas card to all)
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/wesun/20001224.wesun.08.ram

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1115979

Hmm.. it isn't every day something i read on a webboard makes me think and reflect on my own behavioure, but today is one of them.

Perhaps i should have paid better attension the other days as well when it takes such a "thourough" (lacking the english knowledge to put it in better terms here) reminder to get the thought process in order again.

I will keep it in mind, and try to take heed.

merry Xmas to you as well, friend, and all other here at diyaudio.
regards
marius

lower cap inductance??

Carlos,

Do you really mean "adding" more capacitors or replacing the small cap with a larger one each time? Because really ADDING a capacitor would only DECREASE the inductance. Have you tried this??

Sebastian,

t = R*C would not give you a resonance frecuency if you don't include the inductance into the discussion. Actually, the total impedance would only decrease if the capacitance is increased and if the inductance is not changed.

So, incresing the number of caps (but not their individual values!!) would solve any problem related to high frequencies. Has someone tried this way??

Murat

carlos means exactly what is written in the scematic that you can find on page one.

and i must add: this snubber makes the GC a actual candidate for my main stereo rig, it is actally in place permanently now, bacause of the snubber!

Oh, how it makes the music sweet! warmth, openness and dynamic, even the treble decided to peek out :D

I can not stress enough what this does to the sound! i dont care why it does what it does, but it does what carlos said it would alright!

i'm simply stunned! lacking the words of wich to describe this! magic!!

thank you
marius

The schematic on post 1 was preliminary, it represents my tests.
This one is the definitive, It's what I've been using with consistently very good results with any chip (including the OPAs).
120nf of 100nf in the snubber doesn't make difference, anyway.

demogorgon, thanks for testing this.
At last someone had the courage to test such a simple thing.:clown:

Attachments

• cfm chipamp unregulated psu.gif
    cfm chipamp unregulated psu.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,471
Well, that Norwegian guy isn't the only one to try that PSU.
I build two of these amps on the pic for a friend. They sound great.
Dual mono, 40000 ufd per channel. Otherwise made excactly like CarlosFM's
schematic. The transx's are 300VA each 2*22volt sec's. He is running a biamped system and sold the other poweramps right away, after hearing these two chipamps. He is impressed and so was I:) I am a little stunned after having heard the power they
are capable of delivering! Thanks Carlos for boiling all the available info down to something really good.;) ;)
All that wouldn't have been possible without the 'snubbers':cool:

Steen.

Attachments

• michael_top.jpg
    michael_top.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,883
These 2 amps were made with 100nF film caps throughout.
That final schematic has been posted before.
CarlosFM, you must have spend quite a few hours soldering and listening:) Thanks for sharing your efforts with all of us:)
100nF film caps were also used on the pcb's. Have a look at the BrianGT boards used for this project.

Steen.

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,756
steenoe said:
Thanks Carlos for boiling all the available info down to something really good.;) ;)
All that wouldn't have been possible without the 'snubbers':cool:

Steen.

I'm completely sure that this is not just a PSU for chip-amps.
Also, the values I finally got to with my tests are much better than Dejan's recommendation.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

BTW, the last PSU I made (just finished yesterday) has a BIG toroid (2x22v at 12A = 528VA:eek: ) and 16800uf capacitance per rail. Snubbed.:D

steenoe said:
CarlosFM, you must have spend quite a few hours soldering and listening:) Thanks for sharing your efforts with all of us:)
Steen.

You guys should see me testing.
With aligators.:D

steenoe said:
100nF film caps were also used on the pcb's. Have a look at the BrianGT boards used for this project.

Steen.

That's the way.:)
No big caps there.

steenoe said:

Steen.

the RC snubber should be placed as close as possible to the diodes.

You guys should see me testing.

Sounds like fun, but we don't have to!
You have made all the hard work already;)

No big caps there.

Well, your guidelines were followed all the way, I think.
And with great result, I might add!!
Here is a pic of the rearside of those amps, in case you care?
The binding posts were ordered from Taiwan, of all places!!
Very cheap, and very good quality. Can take a serious speaker-cable.

Steen.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,685
jackinnj said:
the RC snubber should be placed as close as possible to the diodes.

No, it should be placed as close as possible to the chips.
But it's not practical to use them on-board, and I think local bypassing is more important.
Small caps on the chips, as close as possible to the PSU pins.
The snubbers after the last big caps on the PSU.

Anyway, maby the snubbers will also work fine right next to the rectifier diodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.