The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2017 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave explaining how he fixed tweeter dispersion problems on older bookshelf speakers...

Attachments

• DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 137
Mark - Thank you. I am just a jack of many trades and master of none :D.

Thanks to all who participated and made the event possible! Don't be shy to post comments and more pictures.

Special Thanks for setting up the hall for us Pierre and bringing your beautiful labors of love along.

One of the biggest things I walked away with this year is it would be interesting to be able to take room affects away.

Grant.

Don't be shy to post comments and more pictures.

A few more.

First one is Pierre and John.

Second is the ClassD demo with the 3 1/2 inch drivers in horns that John used. For those that are interested "You can't buy the drivers any more." It's sort of like listening to a joke in a foreign language and then the person turns to and says "It doesn't translate to English."

Third is one of John's bins of things he was trying to pass along. There were some takers. This of course led to a conversation about what we had "hanging around" that wasn't in use. Yeah....

One more of Pierre's labor on the speakers and Pass amps. I should mention the blue tape on the corners is so that the speakers don't get damaged in transit.

And finally a Pass preamp with some cases Pierre "picked up". This is brushed aluminum.

Pierre and John.jpg

ClassD Demo.jpg

Please - take me....jpg

Speakers with Pass amps.jpg

DSC01999a.jpg

Grant, Pierre, thanks for the excellent pictures!

Wanted to also mention Felix's hand made cables. Truly a labour of love, he required significant time winding the fibers, but they were a treat for the eyes. They were also well received in the before/after demo (which unfortunately I missed).

No, we weren't able to test any tubes. I know the tube tester works as I tested all the tubes from Andres 1930 Philco 9 tube console radio,all the tubes from a 1960 Era AM FM radio and all the tubes in the HP rf generator I picked up late fall circa 1970. The couple of tubes Dave handed me were not listed on the chart in the tube tester. They must be "modern" tubes. I found a tube supplement data list, but the new tubes were not on the supplement. The tester must be pre EL34 Era.

Seriously I was pleasantly surprised that the LP of Dark Side kicked the S... out the 'Echos' CD compilation, I thought that LP would badly re-mastered, since many LPs this days are so-so quality wise. Pierre, the horns are nice - opera sounded really good - voices were detailed without being bright, too bad the big room just doesn't play like we want it. And the F4s - a lot of calories coming from them.
Good Dave brought soldering iron, we could do some wire frying with solder on this tiny 3.5" Vifas.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thank you for your kind words.

And yes, vinyl rocks when done right. Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygène was fun. I had not heard that album in a very long time!

Felix - Too bad I did not take pictures of your phono preamp. Your whole vinyl front end was very musical and worked well together.

Pierre, kind word - not kind, I'm trying not to glorify junk products at high prices, because market is full of them, especially 5-8" farting spkrs that boom, have no dynamics and often are overly bright - this also applies to my own junks, but the solution for limited living space isn't easily solved, so we will be stuck with them for a long time. John (multisync) has horns at his place and hearing them was very enlightening - v. smooth, nothing sticks out and won't give you early headache and tinnitus.
Jean-Michel Jarre is very popular in Poland, ever since early '80. Currently he's starting tour and he's known for a good live show.

https://jeanmicheljarre.com/tour

be in Montreal on May 11, Bell Centre, so if any one from Ottawa would come I will sign in - have never really been there - I would go
Bell Centre Jean Michel Jarre Tickets | TicketOffices.com

BTW, I send my Beyerdynamics DT880-600 hps for repair to United Sound Services, Beyers authorized service dept - one driver didn't sound and measure right since day one (freq. resp., impedance).
For now the status is in Limbo? Anyone in Ottawa with Beyer experience from the past?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.