The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2017 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks pretty good, Mark

JohnK:
I've got an open 3118 board that deserves a good power supply. I wanted to see it with a linear power supply, but designing same is outside of my knowledge, and I haven't been able to find posts that get into specifics. So I'm looking forward to details when you do your 3116 presentation!

- Ron

I don't want to take time/attention away from the DIY items that are on the agenda, but I thought that I would bring in a pair of old, commercial speakers for a look-see i.e. the Leak Sandwich. If we don't get around to checking them out, that's ok.

I might have proposed this earlier, but until Wed night (i.e. yesterday), I wasn't sure whether or not I would get any sound out of them... but I did, and it wasn't bad. Mine are not yet refurbed, so crossover capacitors are probably about 40 years old, and the fabric grille is in tatters, and cabinets untouched. My 10-minute audition suggested a pleasant sound through a commercial 3116 amp, and a low-power APPJ-type tube amp (and I would also bring those supporting electronics in, too).

I thought that they could be interesting is because some of the "features" are/were off the beaten track: they are about 50% bigger than my Dynaco A-25 boxes; apparently use obsolete/proprietary connectors that are even less common than DIN connectors (took me a while to cobble together a temporary fix for that); "sandwich" woofer, braced to the back of the cabinet; tweeter is mounted on the front grille, rather than the cabinet itself. You can learn more about them from the web, but I thought DIY builders might find them interesting. A few models &/or variations might be referenced when searching the web for Leak Sandwich, so I'll mention that mine are the 2-way 8-ohm version (and overall configuration is very much like the 2-way 15-ohm version).

- Ron

Looks pretty good, Mark

JohnK:
I've got an open 3118 board that deserves a good power supply. I wanted to see it with a linear power supply, but designing same is outside of my knowledge, and I haven't been able to find posts that get into specifics. So I'm looking forward to details when you do your 3116 presentation!

- Ron

Pierre did up the schedule. I get off to the doctor this afternoon to see if I graduate from an I.V. to pill form antibiotics. Woohoo! No more plumbing coming out of my arm! Still wasted and still have to keep my legs elevated above my heart. Kind of nixxes a lot of standing or sitting.

Pierre
- I, for one, am ok with your schedule. Thank you for putting it together, and I apologize for not crediting you (the author) in the first place.
- Assuming that nobody else has objections w.r.t. the schedule, perhaps Mark could add a "pointer" to post #80 (or whatever # it is; I'm not on that page now), so that attendees who haven't been following the thread, would know the schedule as well.

Mark
- c/r my note to Pierre, above.
- Under the circumstances, I have to withdraw my previous compliment to you... my screw-up, however. Nevevertheless, since you did start this thread, I'm still trying to keep you involved.
And I'm sorry that your recovery is not as fast as hoped. We'll miss you.

Looking forward to tomorrow, guys.

- Ron

Pierre,
Unfortunately something has come up and its doubtful I can attend tomorrow.

This means my dac, pre and laptop probably won't be able to attend as well. Hopefully someone can fill these in (I think John was bringing a laptop?)

Doing my best through late tonight to dig out and make it but just in case, I think it's best to assume my pre-dac/laptop are unavailable.

Sorry, but this is unavoidable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.