The Good Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Joachim,
I'm planning on bringing a linear tracker(sliding base, not pivoting - but with a twist) based on a ferrofluid bearing to the ETF in November. Prototype works, visually, well....it will be improved so that what one sees matches what one hears... :)

I quickly checked the thread again and found it to aim in multiple directions(motor, plinth, arm... but rather inconclusive). It might be better to split it before it becomes another monster that is impossible to read for a newbie.

Good luck!

Frank

analog_sa,
Now that you say it that was what I was thinking about, the Rabco arms on a Thornes platform. I was only a teenager when I first saw those and they always looked so interesting and different but that was my experience back in the dark ages..... Perhaps they weren't even that good, but compared to the cheap Garrards and other turntables of the time they looked much better built. We did have our JBL or Altec pro speakers and Mac's and Fisher and other equipment and that helped that at that time we had better equipment than most had any idea existed.

Jay1234,
I would think there are many quality fine stranded wire manufacturers that could supply simple stranded wire. The trick is to braid them in a four braid configuration to cancel any RF or inductive situation of just running parallel wires together through the arm to the connectors whatever you may use. We are talking very low signal strength from the cartridge out to the preamp. Perhaps Joachim will have a suggestion for a wire supplier? Not knowing what country you are in makes that harder to do.

Jay if you want prepared wire then Incognito, Cardas or Audio Note are your best bet. Steer clear of any Teflon coated wire the lack of flexibility inhibits the freedom of movement of the arm.

Hifi collective sell the AN wire. You'll find prepared Incognito tonearm wire all over eBay.co.uk as well as the Cardas quad core.

If using enamelled wire like the Cardas stuff you really need a solder pot to strip it back cleanly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.