The Future of Class D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lars Clausen said:
maJORD: Does Nuforce offer anything for DIY? Just curious...

No Lars they don't/can't.

http://www.nuforce.com/products-amp-modules.htm

"The amplifier modules are not available for retail customers or re-branding of amplifier (ie resell NuForce amplifier as another brand)."

Neither does the parent company:

http://www.powerphysics.com/

One possible reason for all their surrounding hype from US mags is that it is a US built product, nationalism.

As per the 50% number I'd think a large portion of that would be in cell phones and computer speakers, little junkers that are far from either full range or high fi.

I still think class d has attained more than a foothold in the high end range already.

Lars Clausen said:
I read somewhere that already more than 50% of amplifiers playing in the world right now are Class D. So it may be fair to say that Class D has already taken over the market from Class A/B and Class A.

Furthermore in my own environment we have performed comparing tests between renown Class A amplifiers and the latest generation of Class D amplifiers, (ZAPpulse 700XE) and found that in all cases Class D was on line with or superior to the Class A amplifiers tested. So i don't think that the technology and performance is falling behind another 5-10 years.
In my evaluation in maybe one year, when several manufacturers will produce real high end Class D technology, it will eat it's way into high end as well.

Hello Lars

When you say you have compared your Zap amps to class A amps may I ask what class amps you compared them too( brands)

Brands like Yamaha made a high end Class D amp which they stopped making and all their home theatre products are linear amps not class D. This company has extensive class D technology which it does not use in any high end or home theatre product .

Regards
Arthur

Amazing how we have all these experts on Nuforce amps considering they have never heard one.

Its typical envy of commercial products from diyers. If Nuforce was a small nothing company with no reviews people would be interested in seeing what the technology is about. (which is what you would expect from this site)

But since they have some good press it knock em down time.

Class D for professional HiFi......I won't touch it with a barge pole.....all the amps I'v e heard have a lousy s/N ratio as well hulling out heaps of RF when put under pressure with high thd. In the stageing business I've never replaced so many midranges & HF end burnouts. I can name several brands where in/out cable looms are simply strapped together, totally against good practise. Casual layouts to get the stuff on the markets ASAP. To repair, the time taken to analyse deep problems it's more profitable to basically "bin the duff unit".

Sorry for thumbs down class D.
richj

hehe....he smashed my sound!.....oh! pain!

Ahahahha!...do not bother with that....it is all rigth.

regards.

Carlos

Attachments

• jlh suicide.jpg
    jlh suicide.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 352
Agisthos said:
Amazing how we have all these experts on Nuforce amps considering they have never heard one.

Its typical envy of commercial products from diyers. If Nuforce was a small nothing company with no reviews people would be interested in seeing what the technology is about. (which is what you would expect from this site)

I don't know about you, but I've seen the patents, my comments aren't based on ignorance, not entirely at least.

Single cycle control isn't groundbreakingly new technology, but good for them they got a patent.

Given the performance of their product, according to reviewers and other sources I've heard, I wouldn't be shocked to know their specs are exagerated.

However if and when they ever get the bugs worked out, I'm sure they'll have a fine amp. Right now they don't.

Once again I dont' consider a fix to a reliability issue as being adding a note in the manual. That's a cheap way of dumping responsbility of a faulty product onto the user.

Now what I do have a problem with are reviewers who'd award it, or anything, "best of class" when they've admittedly compared it to no others in the class.

How do you like your Nuforce, anyway?

Rich, you're an example of the fear of which I spoke. Shunned the entire technology over a bad experience or two because you bought into some hype once. That's a shame.

Regards,
Chris

Well....really anyone who claims Class D does not perform at as high a sonic level as any current amplification is not paying attention--or listening.

Regarding the presence in the marketplace, they are everywhere now, including the 'high end'. See all the Audio Research non-tube amps, Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto, etc.

Re Nuforce. I believe they got the 'buzz' going at Audiocircle starting last spring:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=83
Their initial thread has 53,000 views.

The success really suprised me since the thing seemed so poorly done and QAed. But they are good at selling the 'idea' and convincing people it is the 'best'.
It certainly does not measure as well as the UcD.

Audiocircle has a slew of Class D amp sellers--and folks doing 'group buys' of UcD/Hypex. But I believe Nuforce is the only one making the actual module themselves.

Chris--Are you sure about the 'Powerphysics' connection? I understood the parent company to be these guys (i.e., the same people as NuForce: Jason, Casey, Tranh, etc):
http://www.nphysics.com/
And the designer is pictured here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?p=162760#162760

Mark

Rivendell61 said:
Well....really anyone who claims Class D does not perform at as high a sonic level as any current amplification is not paying attention--or listening.

Regarding the presence in the marketplace, they are everywhere now, including the 'high end'. See all the Audio Research non-tube amps, Jeff Rowland, Bel Canto, etc.

Re Nuforce. I believe they got the 'buzz' going at Audiocircle starting last spring:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=83
Their initial thread has 53,000 views.

The success really suprised me since the thing seemed so poorly done and QAed. But they are good at selling the 'idea' and convincing people it is the 'best'.
It certainly does not measure as well as the UcD.

Audiocircle has a slew of Class D amp sellers--and folks doing 'group buys' of UcD/Hypex. But I believe Nuforce is the only one making the actual module themselves.

Chris--Are you sure about the 'Powerphysics' connection? I understood the parent company to be these guys (i.e., the same people as NuForce: Jason, Casey, Tranh, etc):
http://www.nphysics.com/
And the designer is pictured here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?p=162760#162760

Mark

OOOps! Thanks for correcting me Mark. To say they've a relation to Powerphysics is incorrect. I guess I knew it was "someone" and "something/physics" and I blanked out that "Class N" stuff from my mind so it was left to piece together the rubble and well I just messed up :D

I agree about them hyping it up really good, seems that time would have best been spent testing and troubleshooting.

They were in too much of a rush to make some money and as a result their customers speakers have become the test gear, a priviledge for which they have to pay for. Seems almost unethical? Someone said "envy" I'd say it's just a loss of respect.

Regards,
Chris

Positive Feedback reviewer Greg Weaver had some nice comments about the Channel Islands D-200s:

"The D-200s have a full, rich flavor that is very akin to "tube" sound, but with significantly less coloration. They are warm and lush, harmonically rich and vibrant, yet extraordinarily detailed. Lows are tight and extraordinarily fast, and are blended seamlessly with the luxuriant mid range and treble. And the lowest to highest frequencies are all reproduced with complete tonal coherence."

His blurb is near the end of this article:

Has anyone here compared the D-200s (UcD 400s) to their DIY kit? Just curious if the extra cash for the D-200s is worth it...

I'm even sure they sound good, no problem about that - I'm talking build quality - see how poorly they are built, and all the bugs they have - I don't need to hear them for that. Open up a Pioneer or Denon receiver and it's day & night difference.

Reason they sound so good is the advantages of modern class-d.

And DIY envy against commercial products? Only DIY I did was my amp. I wouldn't exchange my B&W N804's for any DIY speaker. I just want the best for my money, and if that means assembling (not even DIYing) my amp myself, that's the way I go.

Building a UcD400 from Hypex stuff is no different than buying your PC's in parts and assemble them. I didn't "create" anything, I took the building blocks (for me) and put them together. I don't even fool myself in thinking I'm capable to design and build my own amplifier! 95% of the job is done by the excellent engineers at Hypex.

As for the person giving the thumbs down on class-d all together, I pity you - "stuff's getting better every day"...

SSassen said:
Excellent opportunity to plug my DIY UcD400 once more, now this is how you neatly build an amp, not like how Nuforce chooses to build them and charge 900 euros for them. I built this (dual mono) amp for less, about 700 euros in total, and I'm confident it performs a whole lot better than their.

Man that is a very classy and clean looking enclosure. Very nice. Would put many high end manufacturers to shame. You still though should not judge the sound of the nuforce product before hearing it.

I just realised you are the same Sander involved in the ATI benchmark hysteria a few weeks back. You were spot on about the X1800 being underwhelming !! They have their work cut out for them with the R580

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Agisthos,

I just realised you are the same Sander involved in the ATI benchmark hysteria a few weeks back. You were spot on about the X1800 being underwhelming !! They have their work cut out for them with the R580

That's me! As for the Nuforce, I'm sure it sounds okay, but given how they constructed it you'd expect the same price tag as the low budget bargain A/V receiver at Best Buy, as that how it looks. And given that the revenue on that amp will be quite high, as the cost certainly hasn't gone towards parts and construction (off the shelf SMPS for example).

Regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.