The Future of Class D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking, in five (or perhaps ten) years from now what will we talking about on this forum? At the very least ten years from now class D will have taken over the amplifier market, especially home theater, and then mainstream audio (including all sorts of battery operated audio electroinics), and finally a large share of hi-end. But probably the first market that class D will get a firm foothold is the pro sound market. Very shortly this forum will change drastically, as we will have more quality class D amplifiers than we can shake a stick at, it is bound to happen. We will shift from our focus on just making them, to how we can make them better, how we can take off the shelf high powered pro sound amps, and make them sound ever so sweet. Low noise and low distortion will not be the focus as much as more refined approaches to the subtle sonic sweetness we can acheive.

But until then this world will owe a lot to the pioneers of class D.

One thing though I wonder. The TacT Millinium came out in 99-2000, and for all its raved reviews, five or more years later we are just starting to see class D catch on. WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG!!!

Terry:)

.... and the theory existed since before 1954. Terry you don't realize how refined class d is these days.

I wouldn't expect more "refined" amps than you can shake a stick at either, there'll be the top few and the rest will fall to the side. Refined class d is not so trivial that everyone will be doing it.

Where they will first rule is where they already do, small hand held/portable and battery operated devices.... cell phones etc.

Do a little research on the topic (worth it, I think) and you'll know exactly why it took so long to get where it is now.

Regards,
Chris

RESEARCH!! I have been doing research for the last two years. I don't understand why the learning curve is the way it is. If what you gents are saying is correct we have a technology that is eluding us big time. Here you have a manufacture of class D amps such as Hypex and how many production amplifiers are using them. Why is it taking so long for this technology to get a foothold. Saves energy, sounds better, smaller, but takes engineers that are technically savey enough to do the proper PCB layout. I don't get it, is this technology really that difficult to make work?

Terry :)

TerryG said:
RESEARCH!! I have been doing research for the last two years. I don't understand why the learning curve is the way it is. If what you gents are saying is correct we have a technology that is eluding us big time. Here you have a manufacture of class D amps such as Hypex and how many production amplifiers are using them. Why is it taking so long for this technology to get a foothold. Saves energy, sounds better, smaller, but takes engineers that are technically savey enough to do the proper PCB layout. I don't get it, is this technology really that difficult to make work?

Terry :)

:) Two years? Well the answer is simply because the components that could handle the job never existed until recently. At first they weren't even possible, and when they were possible, there wasn't a great enough demand for them to start producing and refining them to the level high fidelity audio requires. With the take off of cell phones and other such devices finally there was enough of a market for them to make it happen, and so, here we are today!

Then, you require people with a vision, and a deep understanding who can put something together that not only switches nicely but is worth listening to.

Further to that as you likely realize class d is not a simple amplifier. It's a tight blend of many fields, from power electronics to analog to digital to magnetics and I'm sure the list goes on.

There's also no such thing as a good book on it, much of the information available online is misinformed or just plain wrong... well, you get the idea now right? I just saved you two more years worth of research :)

Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:

Then, you require people with a vision,

This to me seems to be it in a nutshell. There is just no other reason for this technology to not be making faster progress. When your vision is simply money then snake oil is a better way of making money than something a little difficult to come by.

Someone should write a book.

TerryG said:

This to me seems to be it in a nutshell. There is just no other reason for this technology to not be making faster progress. When your vision is simply money then snake oil is a better way of making money than something a little difficult to come by.

Someone should write a book.

Someone should, but few are qualified and those who are, are in deep competition and perhaps haven't yet made their fortunes.

Others with visions perhaps lack understanding/financial backing, take your pick there's every reason it hasn't developed faster.

For instance this forum has become a bit of a gold mine and will continue to grow in that respect, I hope. Most are too lazy to read it and instead just keep asking the same basic questions.

Do you really want to know where this forum will be ten years from now? The good threads will be burried by the same tired questions that keep getting repeated over and over.

You've researched this two years you said, built anything yet?

I've been researching for around six years, where's my design?

How many years of that research was spent barking up the wrong tree, caught by a mass wave of marketing BS, true digital and other such garble.

How long did it take you to learn how to switch a mosfet half decently? Can you?

Do you know about Mueta? Where's their product? They've changed the face of class d, at least according to their website for the past four years or so. Heard one yet?

Clearly they've got the vision, the financial backing, where's the amp?

Nah, things are more complicated, as always.

Class d is certainly an area where the more you learn the less you know. To me, that's it for you right there, in a nutshell.

Regards,
Chris

I am already doing my tests, and another close friend is doing also

For a while, my conclusions are: (they can change...of course!)

Class D works fine when speaker is the factory one.... so... systems, Mini Systems and Home theater can sound great.

My Class D unit do not produce good sound with any speaker....with some of them sound good, with others sounds awfull.

My unit can reproduce clear 20 hertz, but i could not listen 16 Khz, when i can using analogue designs.

I cannot feel good sound stage....sound really comes from speakers.... dimension is strange, and also acoustic positioning of speakers are critical.

Produces enormous bass...but speaker cone seems not move!...of course it moves...but there are not others movements than the signal.

Compared together....blind testing...you do not know the one is class D and the one is analogue.... outside of your home...other place and other music.... someone adjust both to same "audible" volume.... and them you compare.

No doubts!...you gonna shot the analogue one!

Despite of that i am doing a lot of analogic amplifiers.... having my fun, my friends, the main ones, use to listen to normal amplifiers, also Solid State forum is rich of Do it yourself schematics...when here sometimes appear one or two that you can construct.... not to be lonely, i construt analogue...but to listen...hehe...only my class D.

Hey!...do not talk Solid State guys..... they will never accept that... something very strange that resistance.

This may mean give up of their own life Hystory..... to erase all they learn and to start to buy Chips (some black boxes)... their fun will finish....their friends will seems silly...so....they cannot see that...unfortunattelly.

regards,

Carlos

Chris & Carlos,

You both make some good points, how valid some of them are is the real question, or how valid should they be. Thanks for the info on Mueta (I hadn't come acrossed them yet), although like a lot of other companies in this field they seem to be selling hype rather than a good product that can stand on its own two feet. I don't get why SS guys are resistant to class D, that doesn't make sense, but when change is in the air you will always find people that are resistant to change, thats just life.

We could blame this all on the MOSFETs were not availible to produce good class D amps, but that doesn't account for the lack of vision of the big companies that produce their own parts. I would really just like to know what the big hang up is. From what you guys are saying it sounds like it is just a bunch of little petty excuses by manufactures.

You give me a good analog/class D comparison I and will probably be able to tell which one is which, but that doesn't matter. What I really will be looking for is which one sounds better. Just because it is class D doesn't mean it will automatically sound better, but the potential is there.

I look at these schematics and wow they have so many less parts that a typical SS amplifier. I listen and they sound better than 90% of what is on the market. So it is getting harder and harder to find a REAL reason why this technology hasn't taken off.

TerryG said:
Chris & Carlos,

You both make some good points, how valid some of them are is the real question, or how valid should they be. Thanks for the info on Mueta (I hadn't come acrossed them yet), although like a lot of other companies in this field they seem to be selling hype rather than a good product that can stand on its own two feet. I don't get why SS guys are resistant to class D, that doesn't make sense, but when change is in the air you will always find people that are resistant to change, thats just life.

We could blame this all on the MOSFETs were not availible to produce good class D amps, but that doesn't account for the lack of vision of the big companies that produce their own parts. I would really just like to know what the big hang up is. From what you guys are saying it sounds like it is just a bunch of little petty excuses by manufactures.

You give me a good analog/class D comparison I and will probably be able to tell which one is which, but that doesn't matter. What I really will be looking for is which one sounds better. Just because it is class D doesn't mean it will automatically sound better, but the potential is there.

I look at these schematics and wow they have so many less parts that a typical SS amplifier. I listen and they sound better than 90% of what is on the market. So it is getting harder and harder to find a REAL reason why this technology hasn't taken off.

So what makes you think these big companies have the talent to pull off a smart design?

I think Sanyo is making an IC out of ICEpower, what's that tell you?

The MOSFET's wasn't just an excuse, it was reality until about oooooh say 4 or 5 years ago. That didnt' stop everyone from patenting everything they could. Try and come up with an original design that isn't covered by some patent already, you'll see it's not so easy.

As far as Mueta their idea is fairly brilliant, but they aren't actually selling anything.

I look forward to seeing your amp one day :) Git on it!

Regards,
Chris

If i can build a decent classD amp on my own with no funds and no help except my own imagination and the collective thoughts of you good people then i don't see why the manufactures can't. Are they really that greedy as to hold back this technology just because they know people still think classD is poor in its performance?

As for the future of classD i think it will quickly take over the whole audio market in one foul swoop. This will most likely happen shortly after the release of the first high end classD amp. I bought a Hifi magazine the other day, never actually read one before. I was shocked to see all technologys in the magazine from Valved classA to SACD players but not a mention of classD amplification. There was even a detailed glossery of technical terms on the back page telling you what things like toslink ment ( a signal sent down fiber optic cable, invented by Toshiba ). When i looked down the list to were classD should have been listed it was not there! I think this techonology scares people because it is too perfect. Anyway even if the masses dont like our amplifiers they may well be forced to use them by the government as classD is VERY efficient:D

Regards
Mad.P

Chris, amen. You said it.

Designing a good 'core' of a class D amp is a long, long way from making something a manufacturer [respectable or otherwise] could sell out the door. Protection circuits have to be very robust. Class D PCB layout isn't trivial. The chassis and labels have to designed. A manufacturer may be able to design a great class D amp but marketing doesn't feel it's a viable product - or maybe the production line can't support some new part that is required. There are lots of things outside a great schematic that goes into selling an amplifier of any sort. Class D has changed greatly over the last couple years and it's only recently been more viable for manufacturers to consider. Who wants to bet the company on something that's still fairly unproven from large manufacturers? We are in a unique position here where company politics don't matter. If a new IC comes out we buy it and see what happens. That doesn't happen at big companies. A smaller company has less collateral and resources than a large company, while the large companies have more to lose and often are slower than smaller companies.

Only car subwoofers amplifiers have a reasonable history with class D amps - the rest of the industry is basically technology demonstrations. But the revolution from bigger companies would seem to be nearly underfoot. In pro audio it took a long time for Crown to release the iTech after Crest brought out class D. QSC Audio released class D amplifiers recently - they are the in powered MD series speakers.

Terry, you asked where we will be in the future? The solid state and tube forums are rife with interested parties. Hopefully instead of discussing our own ideas we will shortly be looking at production schematics from all over the world and that will only enrich our own projects.

I think that ICEpower is the one that really started the "common" audiolover to look into class-D.

Problem is, that a lot of the audio market is still driven by the link between magazines & manufacturers.

If you look at "Stereophile" or something, the link is painfully obvious.

Check audio forums all over the net for class-d products. Chances are that you will find mega-threads about the class-d rotel (ICEpower) that no-one had heard yet at that point. Why? Magazines hyped it. Why did magazines hype it, because it's good? No, because they make money hyping it. It's always been like that, why do you think it'll change?

Take it to a smaller level, walk in to an audio shop... no walk into a good one even, where the salesmen actually know about quality of a product. Even there you'll see that there is some kind of bias towards certain products.

I might walk in there with my DIY UcD to test some new speakers, and I'll probably raise a few eyebrows, but don't think it will result in the audio shop wanting UcD's for themselves, they can't make money off it.

Fast forward to this time next year, there might be a few manufacturers doing UcD amps... which one will they sell you think? The one with the biggest margin of course.

That all leads back to why an early player like ICEpower is doing good. They must be mass producing the modules by know, looking at all the equipment they are in... production costs go down, profit margins go up, so magazines hail ICEpower as the best thing since the invention of the wheel. That's the audio world for you.

Don't think that it is any different in high-end than in mass manufacturing - same economics work there - of course there is more quality there, and the margins are way larger, but the manufacturer with the lowest cost vs resell price will be hailed as "the best product" I'm sure.

I'm not sure how nuforce got all its attention btw... winning "best product" here & there in magazines, massive attention from forums...

Sound is being raved about (I can understand, a good class-d sounds fantastic as we all know) but then they show you the insides of this thing. It's horrible. Savings all over. Coils *taped* to the chassis, I kid you not... Probably there was some link between the folks at nuforce & some magazines, or they couldn't have had all that attention, when similar products are around for a few years now...

From a designer standpoint UCD is better than the nuforce, check these "Nuforce technical details" out:

* DC offset between the output terminals
* The new reference 9 in its first release *overheated* at idle. Solution? Check the beautiful solution here: Click
* 6% failure rate. Imagine a car with 6% failure rate.
* No DC coupling cap in initials runs... or explained otherwise "BAD pre-amps killed the nuforce amps!" - Commercial products need dummy-proof protection, even if it brings quality down imho.

Oh I don't need words, just look inside: Nuforce design

I won't go on but, I'm sure this is not the "best class-d" product out there... please...

Class-A will evolve too, as far as efficiency goes it all will come
down to sound quality, tubes are still here, considering what
has been done with solid state so far, efficiency alone wont
cut the pie of the audiophile market, it is true that class-d will
evolve but class-a will stand to gain? not lose?

btw it is great to see class-d evolving for low end where it will battle it out against class-b

cheers

Yves Smolders said:
I think that ICEpower is the one that really started the "common" audiolover to look into class-D.

Problem is, that a lot of the audio market is still driven by the link between magazines & manufacturers.

If you look at "Stereophile" or something, the link is painfully obvious.

Check audio forums all over the net for class-d products. Chances are that you will find mega-threads about the class-d rotel (ICEpower) that no-one had heard yet at that point. Why? Magazines hyped it. Why did magazines hype it, because it's good? No, because they make money hyping it. It's always been like that, why do you think it'll change?

Take it to a smaller level, walk in to an audio shop... no walk into a good one even, where the salesmen actually know about quality of a product. Even there you'll see that there is some kind of bias towards certain products.

I might walk in there with my DIY UcD to test some new speakers, and I'll probably raise a few eyebrows, but don't think it will result in the audio shop wanting UcD's for themselves, they can't make money off it.

Fast forward to this time next year, there might be a few manufacturers doing UcD amps... which one will they sell you think? The one with the biggest margin of course.

That all leads back to why an early player like ICEpower is doing good. They must be mass producing the modules by know, looking at all the equipment they are in... production costs go down, profit margins go up, so magazines hail ICEpower as the best thing since the invention of the wheel. That's the audio world for you.

Don't think that it is any different in high-end than in mass manufacturing - same economics work there - of course there is more quality there, and the margins are way larger, but the manufacturer with the lowest cost vs resell price will be hailed as "the best product" I'm sure.

I'm not sure how nuforce got all its attention btw... winning "best product" here & there in magazines, massive attention from forums...

Sound is being raved about (I can understand, a good class-d sounds fantastic as we all know) but then they show you the insides of this thing. It's horrible. Savings all over. Coils *taped* to the chassis, I kid you not... Probably there was some link between the folks at nuforce & some magazines, or they couldn't have had all that attention, when similar products are around for a few years now...

From a designer standpoint UCD is better than the nuforce, check these "Nuforce technical details" out:

* DC offset between the output terminals
* The new reference 9 in its first release *overheated* at idle. Solution? Check the beautiful solution here: Click
* 6% failure rate. Imagine a car with 6% failure rate.
* No DC coupling cap in initials runs... or explained otherwise "BAD pre-amps killed the nuforce amps!" - Commercial products need dummy-proof protection, even if it brings quality down imho.

I won't go on but, I'm sure this is not the "best class-d" product out there... please...

"there's the strange fart slash paper-tear sound upon turn-on."

..............LOL.

Nuforce licensed the modulator from Powerphysics and it seems they dont' understand the first thing about amps. Someone with more money than brains evidently.

How to get a good review:

Invite reviewer out for a dinner party and a good time. Lease reviewer a few hookers. Get video tape.

Promise reviewer they can keep their new favorite amp, or enjoy their compensation prize of a VCR + tape for them and theirs to enjoy.

I dont' read them, and thank you Yves I had no idea they could be so very entertaining.

Sounds like they need a zobel network or something. Sure would be fun to pick that sucker apart.

Upon what forum exactly did it gain such high interest? I dont' think it was here... are there any others that matter? :)

Here we have thinkers and on others you have marketers.

Among my worst audio land experiences is discussing audio with those programmed by the reviewer. They continue to parrot the magazine regardless of what you tell them, because since it is in a magazine they auto trust it foolishly, without question.

Let's face it, they push commercial crap, nothing more.

Best product rewards huh? With respect to what, exactly?

I may continue this rant later, as for now, I feel the urge to go flush something.

Regards,
Chris

mastertech said:
Class-A will evolve too, as far as efficiency goes it all will come
down to sound quality, tubes are still here, considering what
has been done with solid state so far, efficiency alone wont
cut the pie of the audiophile market, it is true that class-d will
evolve but class-a will stand to gain? not lose?

btw it is great to see class-d evolving for low end where it will battle it out against class-b

cheers

Yes, thanks to Hypex I've been greatly enjoying my low end UCD amplifier, dont' get me wrong though, I'd trade it in for a better class a/b in a second. I miss the hiss that gets louder as you crank up the volume, I miss the sloppy control, I miss hearing the fans wind down when you turn the volume back down, I miss the dull and lifeless "wall of sound" that makes it seem so LOUD..... sniff.

Can't wait for the day someone actually produces a class d amp that's considered high fidelity. I'm tired of only listening to my sub woofers.
:rolleyes:

Allow me to say, you non believers are missing out horribly.

Want to know why class d isn't progressing faster? Perfect example would be Nuforce. They lacked the vision to create their own, they know where class D is today and where it's going and they wanted in, they leased the technology yet lacked the ability to pull it off in a worthy way. They both released it prematurely and got it reviewed in a sorry state, now people will fear the technology when in fact they should only be fearing the company and demand goes down when people don't trust it.

Luckily for us it's actually a class N and not class D :)

Why couldn't they pull it off when all the hard work was already done for them? Because it's not easy and takes an in depth understanding of many specialized areas of electronics.

Regards,
Chris

I have a friend that do not accept the invitation to listen my Class D

I told him, in advance, that will "eat his audio system in the breakfast!".....as he knows me for more than 15 years.

He did not came..... do not want to face reality...just that!

Why can he face himself after had dedicated whole life to other kind of equipments, having a room filled with analog amplifiers...having paid thousands to have those things, and eated in the breakfast.... he told me clearly.... if that is possible, he prefer not to listen.

Problem is hard....have connections with self pride....have connections to life history and can show them that they are eating grass thinking that are having better food during all their lives.

I could see that he is not the only one...... i also tried to dennie that.... when i bougth and realise that i spend my whole life listening noise and distortions, i tried to dennie....i jumped into the best amplifier i know and i stay listening them and comparing them....no chance for analog designs...any chance.

Unfortunattely, the world still marching in the future direction...we cannot dennie that..... of course our cars are better than model T

regards,

Carlos

I read somewhere that already more than 50% of amplifiers playing in the world right now are Class D. So it may be fair to say that Class D has already taken over the market from Class A/B and Class A.

Furthermore in my own environment we have performed comparing tests between renown Class A amplifiers and the latest generation of Class D amplifiers, (ZAPpulse 700XE) and found that in all cases Class D was on line with or superior to the Class A amplifiers tested. So i don't think that the technology and performance is falling behind another 5-10 years.
In my evaluation in maybe one year, when several manufacturers will produce real high end Class D technology, it will eat it's way into high end as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.