The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
that's a big room by most folks' standards

the FH3 is a great little performer, but could well get lost in a space that large - what would the minimum listening distance be?

In this family of enclosure designs, something like Vulcan / Avebury would be worth a look, and no doubt other folks might suggest a multi-way Open Baffle

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
if a square room it would be near 9m x 9m, What are the dimensions? Including height. It is not the area, but the volume of the room that is a true measure of its size,

Even with a modest 8' ceiling this is a large room, so you can accomodate almost anything you'd like, but it will take some of the larger ones (Valiant, Viking, Silbury, Avebury (of the ones i am familiar)) to fill the room.

dave

BTW, is Scott thinking of doing a large horn for the new A12P?

And Josef - that is a BIG room :), enjoy!

I found on the webside a other interesting plan:

the Kirishima. Anybody build already this Loudspeaker?

FWIW, in rooms as voluminous as described ( Dave's being one with which I'm quite familiar), I've found the double rear mouth horn/manifold designs such as Vulcan / Avebury to offer a much larger, spacious soundstage when compared to the front mouth versions.

While not to my knowledge officially sanctioned for it yet, my intuition is that the 12P would work just fine in the Avebury - certainly more so than in an undersized box. So far I've only had limited exposure to this driver for in the SuperPensil and MarKens, and aesthetics aside, the jury's still out for me on which is a clear "winner".

Scott's got a lot on his plate, and when / if he might be able to devote time to any new enclosure designs is, I think, uncertain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.