The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fantastic

the look is really stunning
love that
have benn in the BIB thread and deja ..in Germany
got the impression of a Hemp 8 but
goin BIBish temds to be really huge

this speker shows up as a piece of art.

Can it be build in pine
Zou can get pine glued together from massive stripes
for DIY citchen and shelves

doorman said:
Any (other) listening impressions?
Don

After more listening, including a big session last night...

- they produce the most delicious midrange/highs that I've ever heard. Vocals are incredible. No fatigue whatsoever. Sharp, clean, fast, fantastic tonal balance and an amazing 3D soundstage and dead flat FR in the mids/highs.

- for bass, too early to draw conclusions because of speaker placement issues. I wrote above I'm happy with bass, I apologise for that because now I'm not.
I'm still fiddling with them, and after some ABing with my norh 2-ways (which by comparison are awfully grating on the highs), I realised the frugels are seriously lacking bass impact where they are, especially on classical recordings. Bass is there and it's tight and lively, but there just isn't that oooomph. There doesn't seem to be much, if anything, below 65-70hz.
But (and it's a VERY BIG but), I don't have them fully corner loaded, and placement seems to be everything with these. My new home doesn't have suitable corners, I've so far had them placed next to the wall with some furniture to make low corners -- doesn't work -- so I'm going to 'make' some corners/wings and see how that goes before embarking on a new possible project -- subwoofers.... because now I have that frugel midrange-highs, there is no way I'm going back, it's just a case of filling out the bottom end.

- In addition to the limitations of speaker placement (which I was well aware of and need to work on), there is the issue of listener placement. These are speakers for dedicated listening sessions, where you take the time to sit down, dead centre in the sweet spot, and really be absorbed by the music. In such a set-up, they are unfatiguing (this could be source dependent?) and great fun. For background or party music filling a room, my two-ways do a better job just filling the space. Perhaps this is a bass issue, perhaps not -- but so far, as far as I can gather, listening position seems to be almost as critical as speaker placement, outside the sweet spot, they can become a bit ordinary.

Other points (..or help needed ;) )

- Me being a DIY audio noob, I wanted to say that this has been a fantastic, fascinating first project, and HUGE fun.

- I'm using FE126E's (Dave's modded versions). Chamber size is at 2.48 litres, excluding the volume taken up by the driver rear/magnet. I sense I may have to reduce the volume, as some midrange is coming out the rear. Any sugestions for volume, CC chamber lining???

what speaker to use best and a lot of silly questions

Hi all
digging here I'm a bit lost.
What speaker, banana cone or what will give
the best mid and highs because in Germany
they are all not expensive.

Gerg's mod, where to go to get hold off ?

Another silly one
class D eg Charlize are are dead cheap
SET are rather expensive and bass wise often a bit too shy
My beloved preamp a Bryston BP 25 a good combo with my
turntable Sony TTS 2250, SME 3012R and EMT or Denon 103.

I'm music lover jazz, classic and quite all passing by
and no hifi purist

as all dims are US me living Europe
rounding in centimeters and milimeters gives some smalish diff's
any problem about it ?

bass wise I did found that
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/ripol_en.htm
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/ripol_en.htm

way smaller as Linkwitz and the sound never dominant.

for the wood laminated pine would be a good one ?

and another silly one
one the page with plans REF 1.0 is it the last one ?

Johnin's baffle looks so serious the star or I call it flower
so fun sonicwise going serious or fun ?

Régine
a petite blonde with brains...LOL
building speakers amps and guitars since years

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: what speaker to use best and a lot of silly questions

régine's said:
as all dims are US me living Europe
rounding in centimeters and milimeters gives some smalish diff's
any problem about it ?

To the nearest millimeter should be close enuff... the ones we make are all metric

for the wood laminated pine would be a good one ?

All the normal solid wood caveats apply, but it should work OK. Would look reaaly good.

one the page with plans REF 1.0 is it the last one ?

That is current. Additional drawings for single thickness material are in development thou (ie 15mm, 18mm, 19mm).

dave

Sorry I have not been around, lots to read and catch up on.
I was going to post them here and somewhere else but the thread disappeared at the other place, maybe it was a glich or something.
Anyway
Here is my latest or my frugals,I am lending them out for awhile so I thought I should get in a pic of 90% done.
They still need some fine sanding and finish. When I get them back they will be finished.

I may be pulling the 126's out and trying the 127'sMy CC is adjustable on them any advice?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dave
I do have full intentions of getting a good pic for your site, To be honest my house is so full of junk, I don't even a space large enough to make a nice picture of these little things.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gexter said:
I was going to post them here and somewhere else but the thread disappeared at the other place, maybe it was a glich or something.

I guess Steve figured i was getting too commercial with the flat-paks assosiated with planet10-hifi (or someone who shall remained unnamed complained that the project was stepping on this toes). I was also deleted as a forum member. Really a shame, i do hope the FH sees commercial incarnations, particularily geographically diverse flat-pak manufacturers (i've been trying to find someone in the UK for instance).

You'd think it would be in Steve's best interest to have as many speakers around that would work with his amps as possible -- certainly anyone interested in the FH is very unlikely to have ever been interested in his speaker offerings.

What i morn is all the loss of valuable information to the diy community.

Here is my latest or my frugals,I am lending them out for awhile so I thought I should get in a pic of 90% done.

Those are gorgeous... i do need some bigger pics -- there will llikely be a FH article in the next BAS diyMag and it would be great to have more examples of actually builds.

I may be pulling the 126's out and trying the 127'sMy CC is adjustable on them any advice?

Josh has reported good results with FE127 in the small CC. My guess was that bigger would be required. I currently have a set of FE127 in my RonHorn A126. Althou they sound OK, it is obvious they aren't as well suited to this horn as the 126 (as one would expect with a design as tightly tied to the driver as this one is)

dave

Dave,

I'm really surprised that thread was deleted. I'm sure that monster OB thread eats up more speaker sales than the FH thread could.

I'll be sure to get off the pot and get my pair into hi-res photo shape.
I'm still in for a set of the guts parts with angle cuts. Just let me know. I already priced glass for the sides, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a see-thru FH.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
johninCR said:
I'll be sure to get off the pot and get my pair into hi-res photo shape.
I'm still in for a set of the guts parts with angle cuts. Just let me know. I already priced glass for the sides, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a see-thru FH.

We are really hoping for before XMas. We are close to finishing off a spate of customer builds that have kept us from the Frugel-Horns.

dave

Hey Dave

Thanks, its is my first build using real wood and Baltic birch. I never really do any finishing until these. I guess that says how much I like them.

To bad about the Steve thing, the thread did have lots of information. Steve has come out with lots of new designs and maybe did not want any potential customers deciding on the Frugals ;)

I will be getting them back late next week I will try to send a batch of better pics without a completed finish because I may not find the time for the final treatment. Plus it has to be done in a very cold garage now.

John. yours are the most unique I have seen. To far out there for me but really nice, I love what you can do with wood.
Way too cool man. I love looking at your stuff.

Gex

Thanks Gex,

I just try to throw in an angle here and there to make things more interesting. I'm lucky that I can get real wood in the same price range as plywood. Then just plan well before cutting. If I can just get the finish work up to par with the designs and raw materials, I'll be happy.

I cut the main panels for a set of Metronomes today...Solid wood, 35mm thick, national tree of Costa Rica, simple and beautiful.:D

DaveCan said:
I thought something was up, I paged back a few days ago looking for the thread so that explains it. Maybe he's going to announce a cab for the 108,126 etc who know's? Dave:)

I kinna doubt that; between our lovable cuzzin-ed, and Louis at Omega, that corner of the pre-built market utilizing Fostex 4" FR drivers is pretty is much wrapped up already - and more power to them.

But as you know, DIY or "open source" designs (where the really interesting stuff is happening), is an altogether different bowl of chowder- and sometimes the best chefs are the least well known.

John/CR:

I guess they'll be easy on the ear? ;) (sorry couldn't resist)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.