The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ssmith said:
Thanks for the 1.4.0 Wedgie plans.. not sure if I understand them correctly... :ashamed:
But any feedback on the sound yet???

I'm going to have to do some more drawings, and probably some 3Ds to make them easy to understand. Basically the 1st 2 segments of the horn are constant cross-section (31mm high). The wedges are then places in the middle of the segment to divide it into 2 channels, and introduce the taper.

Chris got the wedgies working late Saturday (no deflectors yet -- we want to build the more exotic shape and what i have drawn is a pita to build) and his sole comment was that the rear treatment (in this case just the curved mouth) has a disctinctly positive impact on the bass -- to paraphrase "Ron wasn't kidding when he said the rear treatment would improve bass".

dave

Dave..am I missing something?

er.. why bother with a rear firing back loaded horn with a deflector.? Why not a forward firing back-loaded horn placed near the back wall?

I admit that I haven't been following the thread ultra closely. I understand the desire to enhance the bass, but is rear firing, and a deflector really needed?

It seems I will not be able to be out to BC early next month :-(, still working on prototypes though. How about them Fonkens? (please email me directly)

thanx

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Dave..am I missing something?

Nanook said:
er.. why bother with a rear firing back loaded horn with a deflector.? Why not a forward firing back-loaded horn placed near the back wall?

No mystery -- it works better given the diminuative size of the horn. The deflector does 2 things... it increases the size of the mouth and probably even more important it reduces reflections off the corner/wall going back up the horn.

A front-mouth horn is really going to be a floor-loaded horn requiring a (theorectical) mouth 4 x as big for the same bass cutoff.

It seems I will not be able to be out to BC early next month :-(, ]

:^(

At least it relieves us of worrying about trying to get the Fonkens done by the FEST when we are pretty sure it won't come together that soon (they are currently a flatpak)

dave

What, no other "Frugal-Horn's"up and running yet?
Looking forward to hearing some more feedback.
After living with mine for a couple of weeks now, I'm really enjoying them. They are the best imaging speakers I've had. When the music's playing, they flat out vanish.
If anyone's thinking about a small diy project, this one is excellent!
Oh, btw, if you can grab a pair of FE108EZ's, they really shine in this cab!
Don

Stone:

Morning boys and girls:
I have been busy with a regular working stuff for a while and have not been able to follow the web too close.

Jason you seem to be claiming ownership of ideas again? Not sure where that notion comes from.

Dave:
I hope to be working with some stone before the fest so if you send me some numbers and a sketch I may be able to get something made. An MDF prototype might be a better idea to start with as it is a bit of a waste of nice rock to test out concepts on this material.

Looking forward to hearing the speakers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Stone:

SCD said:
I hope to be working with some stone before the fest so if you send me some numbers and a sketch I may be able to get something made. An MDF prototype might be a better idea to start with as it is a bit of a waste of nice rock to test out concepts on this material.

An MDF prototype exists i believe... let's wait till you are down to discuss the possibilities.

dave

Hello,

I have been following this thread with interest for some days now, and have some questions regarding the placement of the horn.

What are the effects of toe-in adjustments for these speakers, i.e., have the horn fire directly into the corner? I read the remarks about deflectors, reflection and various baffles, and it got me thinking. If the horn is directed straight into the corner, shouldn't the reflected wave back into the hornmouth be reduced? Did you do any tests on this? I have a very small room were toe-in is probably needed, so I am curious to what effect this will have on the Frugels.

Now, on a lighter note, there has been a number of different baffles presented (stop-sign, sun-shaped etc), and these are also, from what I understand, not only for used to combat baffle step, but also responsible for reducing interference from the reflected wave. Would it be possible to breed, and place, blue peafowls on top instead? I am thinking something like a fan, that will break up the reflected wave before it can interfere with the driver.

Attachments

• bluepeafowl.jpg
    bluepeafowl.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 777
tinitus said:
Fore a long time I have wanted to try something like this

This is something like that but used a seperate 18" front horn loaded sub driver against the wall firing into the corners with wide-range Altec 415A's and ribbon tweeters

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ok.
What are the advantages of the wedgie over the other.
besides being more solid.
The size is slightly larger and 1 and 2 are the same size top to bottom.
does it have a sonic advantage of any sort, or no one knows yets.

Hey planet 10, looking forward to my drivers. let me know when you ship via my Hotmail. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gexter said:
What are the advantages of the wedgie over the other.
besides being more solid.
The size is slightly larger and 1 and 2 are the same size top to bottom.
does it have a sonic advantage of any sort, or no one knows yets.

Hey planet 10, looking forward to my drivers. let me know when you ship via my Hotmail. :) [/B]

The wedgie came about because Chris was commenting on all the different angles he had to cut... the one wedge that comes to a point can be a bit tricky to cut, but all the angles in the 1st 2 sections are 10 degrees.

Any sonic advantages are still theoretical, but the theory is that 1/ the 4 panels subjected to the highest pressures are very well braced, and 2/ the aspect ratio of the 1st sections are less (ie a bit closer to the ideal 1:1 x-section.

The non-wedgie has an aspect of 7.5:1, the wedgie has 2 sections each with an aspect of 1.4:1.

dave

PS: your cheque is in the bank. I'll ship sometime late next week.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The primary purpose of the model was to be able to illustrate how the wedges in the wedgie version fit. The free version isn't powerful enuff to model the exact shape of the wedges (or i just haven't figured out hoe), but the results are still suffiicent for the purpose. Wedges are in red.

dave

Attachments

• wedgie-placement.gif
    wedgie-placement.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 686
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.