The food thread

slim for rums

A friend of +3 decades resides in the north of the Dominican republic.
Also a bloke of all trades, military, police officer, run a bar for half a dozen years, knew his liquor in the previous millenium.
Meets up every weekend with a banana grower, also Dutch, for rum tasting.
Plenty picking there, so I gathered, from fairly recent talk on the Dominican forum.

(speak about deaf&dumb, took a couple of years for the coin to drop why his Hebrewnosess labelled family pics on his web album under 'camp David' :clown:)

Attachments

• Guus-Ivelise-moppie.jpg
    Guus-Ivelise-moppie.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 74
All flavor had been scientifically removed as a concession to local tastes! It takes some real work and creativity to make bland Thai food, but the Germans were apparently up to the task.

This is a real problem here, I think. It's quite difficult to get the 'original' taste in any foreign restaurant in Germany, because everything gets adapted to fit the featureless 'mean-value' taste everyone seems to expect.

During a beamtime at BESSY-II in Berlin(!) we ordered food at an 'Indian' restaurant. Sounded tasty in their menu. What we got was traditional german cooking, without any hint of non-german influences. If at all, everything looked a little yellowish, maybe because someone heard that Indian food features some curry.

Ouch.

I know we are the same page but just to confirm, this is the pepper of which you speak? I always thought the red ones were called Scotch Bonnets but these were labeled as Red Habanero. This the last of them, that's why they are so small.

These small guys look astonishingly similar to my 'fatalii', see:

Fatalii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the lesser known red variety, most fatalii habaneros are yellowish or orange. Unfortunately the plant died last winter, but I have enough fruits in the freezer for the next year. Have to grow a new one from seeds, I guess.

Rundmaus

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I chuckle during pepper discussions. We have 2 programmers who are contracted from our company and work out of an office in Saltillo, Mexico. They traveled here for a 2 week visit and when I asked if they had a chance to sample the Mexican food here, they confirmed it, but asked why we make some dishes so hot!!!! :D

The 125,000-325,000 of the fatalii is enough for me! :)

When my wife starts cutting one of those into pieces, you notice it within seconds in the next room. We're usually wearing gloves when preparing them.

They don't really hurt your hand, but it prevents disastrous events when you touch something else like your ears, nose, eyes or private parts after preparing chilies....

Rundmaus

Weaponized chili!!
Ya, that was one pepper. No telling what the rest of the plant measured.
the fatalii is 'only' 125,000–325,000
'only' :)
The 125,000-325,000 of the fatalii is enough for me! :)
Ya, more than that and you're losing flavour for the sake of heat, so really what's the point?
or private parts after preparing chilies....
I think we all learned that one the hard way.

I think we all learned that one the hard way.

Don't know if this is the right place to share such personal memories, but I was introduced to chili growing and hot spicy cooking by a female fellow student years ago.

I vividly remember the morning after our first cooking session. I went to the toilet and did what I had to do there, following the ingestion of serious amounts of food the day before.

Suddenly I noticed something unusual: It felt like someone placed a candle in the toilet bowl, heating up the very final end of my digestive system well beyond comfortable temperature levels.

As the situation got worse, I decided to solve the problem in an unconventional way: The bathroom was sufficiently small to reach for the sink while sitting on the toilet, so I soaked a large lump of toilet paper with cold water, sat down on it and waited for the pain to decrease.

Had to wait quite a while.

Rundmaus

Last edited:
Ya, that was one pepper. No telling what the rest of the plant measured.
Its mean heat topped more than 1.2 million units on the Scoville heat scale, while fruits from an individual plant reached 2 million heat
then combine it with

Aside from the heat, the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend has a tender fruit-like flavor, which makes it a sweet-hot combination
then

Paul Bosland, a chili pepper expert and director of the Institute, said that, "You take a bite. It doesn't seem so bad, and then it builds and it builds and it builds. So it is quite nasty."
evil combo, sounds like an unsuspecting victim could eat a whole one before the gravity of the situation became apparent

it depends what you do with it though, sounds like its actually pretty tasty too, but you dont go chowing down on it. I watched a video just before of some mad English guy that does youtube chili product reviews, so is quite 'match fit' having reviewed Nada (the 3rd hottest) pork scratchings and 'infinity chili' (2nd hottest) chorizo.

there was a video called 'nada's revenge' or something; of him doing a hot sauce review; he ate a tablespoon of it, started sweating, hiccuping, gagging, then puked his guts up into a bucket off-camera, like he was expecting it... lol he then collected himself (took a minute or 2) and finished the review

Last edited:
heating up the very final end of my digestive system well beyond comfortable temperature levels.
aka: 'Ring Sting'
evil combo, sounds like an unsuspecting victim could eat a whole one before the gravity of the situation became apparent
Ya, that's not gonna happen. No way, no how.
We have a saying here: "So hot, it'll burn you twice!"
'A sauce so nice, it burns you twice'
water doesnt help all that much and can make it worse
Yes. You really want to stimulate salivating to remove it from the inside as much as you can. Topical treatments are not very effective.

All this talk makes me want to go and try my latest batch of red sauce. It's only been 2 weeks but it'll give me an idea where we're at.

heating up end

I grew up with a water bottle in the bathroom, and family members who took several comic books to the toilet.
If they had to go, you would not see them for at least half an hour.
And if the seat was taken, better to find another toilet for the time being, there were more matches lit in that locker than at any shrine.

Speaking of getting a toilet brush up the berry tree : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...high-end-off-topic-thread-22.html#post2126573

Flawless operation for 3 years : I'm a gddmn Technical Tyrannosaurus (© Blain, Predator '87)