The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My mother as part of her job used to visit a hospital where the warden bred rabbits for food and would bring home a couple for the pot. Rabbit stew is a delicious memory. Hare is also good even if I didn't like it as gamey as Scott does.

Funnily she admitted her Brother kept rabbits when she was young but none of those ever made the pot. She grew up on a smallholding during rationing so generally everything ended up in the pot!

When I was a kid we had a cottage on the shore of the Bay of Fundy, and my father put in a small garden there. Most weekends in the spring and summer he would get up to the cottage and tend his garden. One weekend he arrived to find all the peas he was growing were gone, except for a few that were not ripe or had not filled out. Tracks in the soil indicated a raccoon was the bandit. The next year he planted snow peas. The week when they were ripe he went to his garden and saw the raccoon tracks, and little muddy paw prints where the raccoon had been feeling the pea pods to judge whether they were ready yet. The flat pods of the snow peas fooled him and Dad harvested his peas! :)

2. pit those cherries
The cherry pitter I have is a little dated. The cherries of today no longer fit in to it.
Cal: In the old days yes.
Yes, I understand. Perhaps your neighbours can help? :devilr:
I gather the heat was unreal. Rivers and lakes flooding because the snow pack and glaciers are melting.
Yes, thankfully we have returned to a more normal kinda heat.
Rabbits are tasty.
Land chickens. The equivalent of a stewing hen, but 10x the cost. Not on my shopping list.

Unless of course you find one in your marigold garden. Then they are delicious.

I tried to post from my phone, but was unsuccessful.

I went to visit my daughter and her family this past weekend and took my smoker.

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
My wife and I decided to embark this summer (as time permits) on a quest for the best lobster rolls in Nova Scotia. Had a good candidate today in Digby, but received a hot tip about a place in Parkers Cove not far from here and on the way home. I am trying not to be distracted by scallop burgers.

For those not familiar, a lobster roll is an oblong bun (usually a hotdog bun) filled with chunks of lobster meat. It may involve a little lettuce, or a skiff of mayonnaise, or a hint of other seasonings, but the lobster should dominate. Ideally the bun is lightly toasted. The one today was toasted on a griddle with a little butter, which earned it extra points. Location was less than ideal (next to a gas station on a busy road) but I am trying to focus on the roll.

(also scallop burger is fried scallops in a burger bun, no ground beef involved. I still think I should have had one for dessert)

No Bill, but I have probably (inadvertently) contributed to the problem!

We used to ice fish a lot in my youth and it’s always a problem finding live shiners out of season especially south of the Mason/Dixon line……so next best thing was to go to whatever pet shop happened to be nearby and get a couple dozen of the cheapest goldfish and use those for bait, you’d have to acclimate them slowly to the cold so they wouldn’t die from shock but they worked awesome.
It’s not a stretch to believe some would live after getting loose and in a ice fishing Mecca like Minnesota I’d almost bet the farm that’s where they came from……not errant pets.