The food thread

My son came by and I cooked a couple of T bone steaks on the pellet smoker this evening.

They were a little over 1" thick (2.54cm) and after reading several posts about cooking steak, including one from the university of Austin TX from their AG department I decided on the following sequence.

Dry rub steaks with a low salt rub and bring them to room temp.

Heat the grill to 500F (260-C) and grill for 3 minutes, then flip and grill 3 minutes more.
Drop the temp to 350F (177C) and cook 4 minutes, flip and cook 4 minutes more.
Remove the steak, and cover with Al foil and a towel. Let set for 5 minutes.

Son and I agree it is the best steak I have cooked.

Beautiful medium rare throughout with about a 1/8" (.32cm) brown on the outside.

The hottest food I have ever eaten was ripe Habanero. I had a friend who said if I would grow it he would eat it. We split one. I think we invented a new language describing the heat.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Another go at ciabatta bread using the Kenwood stand mixer (following up to post #16200). Baked a batch of two loaves, this is the 2nd loaf. We sliced the first loaf and used it yesterday for dipping & caprese. Today I cut the 2nd loaf lengthwise to create two thin slabs, which get slathered with garlic-herb-butter and tossed in the oven to make garlic bread.

Figure 1 shows the cutting operation [taken from a YouTube video, not my countertop]. Figure 2 shows the interior "crumb" of my loaf#2 after the lengthwise cut.

_

Attachments

• lengthwise.jpg
    lengthwise.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 84
  • cib2.JPG
    cib2.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 62
Lately I have had a bit of a frenzy with mostly Asian veggies I recently discovered in one of our few exotic food shops run by foreigners which aren't easily found in our domestic food chain stores and if and when some of it is found it's priced much higher for its "exoticity", have been steam cooking Gai lan, Choy sum, Bok choy, spinach, tried also steaming the leaves and stems from a batch of beetroots (attached pic) which tasted pretty much like spinach, all good stuff for your gut microbiota.

Attachments

• Beetroot leaves and stems.jpg
    Beetroot leaves and stems.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 81
I'm ready for some hot soup, 14C and raining here today.
We would love some of that about now. Not in my 58 years did I expect to say that about a cold and rainy day. You are officially on my ignore list.
Cal, it's the same thing here. Only salad, fruit, vegetable soup when it's hot. Only it could be that we have different opinions of what hot is.
Been very nice here for the past week, 23-26c in the shade. 27-30c is scorching hot and 40+ is just something that happens in the desert in faraway lands.
Same here until it happened. We are getting back to normal but I must say, it looks a little funny to see road medians and sidewalks buckling. No one saw that coming. Engineers had no reason to plan for that...until now
Lately I have had a bit of a frenzy with mostly Asian veggies
The Vancouver area is so lucky. Those are mainstream here.
Beet greens are awesome Ultima……..been eating them all my life!
:checked: I played ball hockey and our pre-game meal was often a Ramen soup with egg and beet greens.
Chard is another thing to look for along those lines.
Same thing, include mustard greens in that group. All so versatile. Fresh, blanched, souped, fermented, the list goes on.
the rabbits ate all my chard this year.
Then the favour should be returned.
I made soup last night for the weekend. Roasted up a butternut squash, sweet potato and some onions then boiled up with some red lentils for thickening.
I kinda lied. Since I am working from home, I can do a little cooking in the morning when it's cool. Today, I took the beets that my wife didn't understand should have stayed in the ground another few months and made myself a beet, celery and red onion soup in a chicken stock and a few other goodies. I expect to eat this cold tonight along with some of those 'pre-seasoned' boneless skinless chicken breasts you buy in 5kg boxes. You know, the kind you have no room for in the fridge? Ya, you're right, sometimes I don't understand her thinking. I guess we were never meant to. If we did, can you imagine the population explosion? It's bad enough as is, no? I rarely let her shop alone, if there's ever been someone who needs a chaperone when food shopping, it's Mrs. Weldon. She brought home 12 lbs of cherries yesterday because they were on sale.

Sigh.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cal: In the old days yes. But now I am a good vegetarian, plus the babies look so cute when they first come out. 6 in the latest litter, mostly vanished now.

More peeved that they hunt out my marigolds I just planted.

We self limit on special offers due to storage space. goodness knows what will happen when we get space for a chest freezer.

the rabbits ate all my chard this year. Shame as it grows well in our garden.

My 8 and 6 year old grand-daughters and I planted peas in our protected (i.e. fenced) vegetable garden. Unbeknownst to me a bit of the fence failed owing to rusted staples and the rabbits ate them all.

Pity, as they, the grands are moving to PGH this fall.

My uncle, long deceased, was a doc in the Korean war and used a 22 to get rid of the varmints -- and this was in a "close-in" suburb of Cleveland (where gunshot was not infrequent). I use a "Have-A-Heart" trap, but they keep coming back!