The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,
one of our favourite reasons to visit London from the coast were the big exhibitions at Olympia and the Sunday Times Food and Drink was one. We bought a Kenwood Chef on one visit, still going strong after 30 years and still rated as the best of class.
All those sort of shows have moved to Excel now, which is a right PITA to get to. I believe my inherited one is about 54 years old now. It could use some new gears but does what I need. I do know of someone who burned out a 'domestic' Chef making bread so got the pro model but that's the only one.

Batch cooking - can't understand why so many don't do it

Some dishes ARE better fresh, but in our case with both of us working full time and mouths to feed it works. I remember at the same stage with Wife 1.0 I used to start cooking dinner when the kids were in bed and at the age #5&6 are now they had microwaved frozen non-food most nights. This way only once a fortnight does something come out a packet.

What is interesting, and sadly inconclusive at the moment is the research into how starch can be turned into resistant starch by cooking then chilling. apparantly if you cook rice with a little coconut oil then chill it the starch is converted and the extractable calories are halved and it's better for your microbiome. Same with pasta, and bread if you freeze it.

Seems some brave/mad souls are now measuring gut transit time at home with dyed food Why are people dyeing their poo blue? - BBC Food. Personally I find eating corn on the cob gives an equally good indication.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just bought one of these on Thursday. Is it the same "Kenwood Chef" you guys are talking about? What a very small world!!

I wanted / needed / coveted the 800 watt motor and the 7 quart mixing bowl.

_

Attachments

• mixer.png
    mixer.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 106
What is interesting, and sadly inconclusive at the moment is the research into how starch can be turned into resistant starch by cooking then chilling. apparantly if you cook rice with a little coconut oil then chill it the starch is converted and the extractable calories are halved and it's better for your microbiome.
WTF did you just say Bill?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just bought one of these on Thursday. Is it the same "Kenwood Chef" you guys are talking about? What a very small world!!

That's the 21st century version, so none of the newer accessories work on the older ones, but yes.

WTF did you just say Bill?

If you cook and chill some carbs you can eat more of them without getting fatter and the gazillion bacteria that treat you as a walking food source get a healthy meal. Maybe... The whole science of how our guests keep us healthy is still in its infancy.

Is it the same "Kenwood Chef"
I'm not sure to whom you are referring but not me. I stick to Kitchen Aid for their infallible record and their punishingly high prices for accessories. I don't see a PTO on the nose of your unit Mark. Sad because you can easily spend so much more on the accessories than you do on the machine. I have the Kitchen Aid 600 series that is a lift bowl rather than a tilt unit so it's more prepared for the abuse my wife is going to throw its way. 5'4" but she bakes like a sumo wrestler. I am surprised the darn thing has survived the first couple of years but so far so good. When she goes to bed, I just put a cup of flour and some water, turn it on low and gently tell the thing that it will all work out in the end, stick with us.
Yes, stick with is was on purpose, bit you foodies already knew that.
Time for a beer in Casa Weldon.
Cheers all.

I hope you have fun and good food with yours Mark.

Last edited:
If you cook and chill some carbs you can eat more of them without getting fatter and the gazillion bacteria that treat you as a walking food source get a healthy meal. Maybe... The whole science of how our guests keep us healthy is still in its infancy.
Ya, sure, I'll take your word for it Bill. ;)
Remember, I am Lactobacillus Man. Your worst nightmare for the first week, your BFF for the rest of your life. (is that a redundancy?)
Now can we get back to food? I mean it. All this talk about bacteria is making me seriously hungry.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well Cal you will be pleased to know that they are demonstrating making your own Kimchi on TV in UK now. Interestingly Ma in laws amazing lemon pickle appears to be made the same way (lemons and salt in a jar leave to fester on the side).

I want to see you in costume. I'll get you this for xmas as your sidekick Acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus)

Edit: I know I am outnumbered by carnivores here, but has anyone successfully made their own Seitan and actually eaten the result willingly?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yep, the Kenwood Chef Major has three ports where you can attach accessories. At the very front is #3 on the diagram, the Low Speed connection. That's where the meat grinder ("food mincer AT950A") and/or pasta maker accessories are attached. On top in middle position is #2 on the diagram, the Medium Speed connection. The food processor and the citrus press attachment go there. At top rear is #1 on the diagram, the High Speed connection, where the blender accessory goes. Click on the image to see it full size and undistorted.

attachment.php

_

Attachments

• kenwood.jpg
    kenwood.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 171
Thanks for the pasta maker advice. I look forward to cranking out everything from fine spaghetti to strudel dough.

Next subject fruit in pancakes. Blueberries are the most common, but chopped apples and pears do quite nicely. The real surprise is very finely chopped peeled red skin potatoes!

Anyone ever try anything interesting?

Whoa! Fired up the GMG Davy Crockett today with a rack of ribs, a pork roast, and a chuck roast.

Sorry there no pictures of the results, but we were pretty hungry when the ribs came off the grill and I forgot.

Ribs came off first and were great! Chuck came off second and by the time we were done with it we decided any pork would be anticlimactic.

Cowboy beans, Cole Slaw and Potato salad and Iced Tea rounded out the feast.

We never got to the brownie desert.

Attachments

• 20210620_124916[1].jpg
    20210620_124916[1].jpg
    844.5 KB · Views: 84
Bill re. rice. In a much earlier post I described how Mohammed showed my mother how to cook rice. I always rinse Basmati, the only white rice I use (can't understand how the Chinese and others eat stodgy rice, there's no accounting for taste). I use hot water vigorously stirring, empty and repeat until the water is virtually clear, then finish with one or two cold water rinses. I think this gets rid of a lot of starch and makes for lovely fluffy separated grains of rice. Whole/brown rice is even better, it plumps up and is delicious as it is.

My version of Pilau rice is great as a basis for so many meals. I don't understand how long it took me to get seriously acquainted with Turmeric, it's got a wonderful taste and apparently has many healthy attributes as well. steamed chunky cut bell peppers,carrots, celery, small pieces of cauliflower,broccoli some fried onions and wind in some sweet chilli sauce and a nice surprise for the teeth to crunch into - cardoman seeds - a great vegetarian meal. For meat eaters chunks of chicken or pork crispy fried and at the death wind in the sweet chilli sauce. The SCS is so cheap and goes with so many things.

CW the air frier was delivered this morning, 10L is not so big, the only other size was 12L. If I get on with this one perhaps I shall look at a commercial one around 15L - vamos a ver.

Re.the Kenwood Chef, two points (one audio related) when we bought the Chef all those years ago, it came with lots of attachments but the one we should have bought at the time as an extra was the mincer. I've bought two separate mincers and both were crap, so I use a chef's knife to cut pork or chicken into small pieces, time consuming we find that the pieces are bigger than 'normal' mince but it seems to enhance the meat.

The second point is for a powerful machine it comes with a wimpy looking power cord, just shows what a load of bollocks all those hosepipe sized expensive aftermarket power cords are, same goes for speaker cables.