The food thread

Yeah, well... :D

Fresh fish is getting a bit expensive here, depends what you want, but it's ranging from about 30€ up to 56€ per kg. Frozen is a bit cheaper but still getting pricey...
Whenever we're close to the ocean I like to fish a little bit from the shore, just watch the current to see where the fish are likely to hang out, even caught a squid on my pole last year.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_105755_246.jpg
    IMG_20201005_105755_246.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20201005_105911_568.jpg
    IMG_20201005_105911_568.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 86
I cooked today's lunch for a friend's birthday.

Homemade lobster bisque (without cream though, so not quite "by the book"), soba noodles and lobster lightly fried in butter for starter, mushrooms risotto with duck magret for the main dish. Someone else took care of the dessert.

My plating skills are lacking and we are at a vacation house so the pictures are what they are but that was quite edible :eek:

Attachments

• bisque.jpg
    bisque.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 88
  • risotto.jpg
    risotto.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 91
CW - I agree with you, those prices in Norway are scary. Until oil and gas were discovered Norway had only timber and fish, it was a very poor country which is why so many emigrated. However I think Norway has been the most intelligent with it's oil wealth - the biggest sovereign wealth fund in the world, overtaking Dubai and the UAE.

The North sea used to be full of fish, the Icelanders and the Scots used to sell vast amounts of fish to Russian and other East European satellite countries huge factory ships.

As an aside - I used to buy Svetlana valves from one Igor Popov who got out of Russia the first year he could. He was an aerospace engineer who designed a lot of amps whose designs appeared on the original Svetlana site, now defunct. He settled and married an Euskadi nurse in Bilbao.

When he left he took with him a huge collection of Mint/NM LPs. He had 2 copies of everything the Beatles ever did. How did he come by them? he bought them off sailors from the Russian factory ships. How did they pay for them, swapping the best Russian vodka for LPs - the taxman in the UK and Russia never got a whiff of what was going on. Look on discogs and see that the most expensive LPs are often from the Russian Federation. The owners of record shops in Aberdeen and other east coast ports in Scotland made a lot of money tax free.

In 82 an old friend a 6-2 man in NDT got me 10 days work on the DB100, then the world's biggest oil platform, like something out of Starwars, it was being fitted out in Stavanger fiord. The views as the sun came up were unforgettable. We got one night ashore in Stavanger and after drinking some very,very expensive beer we ended up in the local social club where the locals were eating enormous bowls of shrimps. The young women were extremely friendly, sadly I had to go back to the platform that night.

CW, after working out the cheapest way to buy on Aliexpress, via Spain, no import duties I've settled on a 10L air frier @ €132 including shipping of under €4.

Those fish prices are scary.

Quite!
When I'm visiting old friends and family on the coast, a quick tour to the shore to *ahem* let the kids learn about crabs and seaweed. Incidentally sometimes a fishing pole manage to materialize itself in my hands for some completely unknown reason. Just a few fish and you get a days salary worth of good quality food.

Cod, haddock, wolf fish, mackerel, ballan wrasse (haven't tried eating one of those yet, but have gotten some "dinner and a half" sized ones)+++

Scott - that's an unbelievable price and most of the fish from Norway was farmed as well. There are so many problems with farmed fish and the quality is nothing like wild fish.

I remember my friend Peter the NDT man telling me that a job on land in Norway was so easy that he could go off fishing in the river for trout in the afternoon. The bossman called him in and said "I know your doing your job but can you not make it so obvious your going fishing at the companies expense".

most of the fish from Norway was farmed as well.

Salmon, trout, halibut: yes.

Farming on cod, haddock, wolf fish, monkfish, mackerel, herring ++++ is for the most part unexistant/hard to make money on.
Some newer systems have started farming arctic char, but to my knowledge the fry is wild caught so far.

In regards to the quality, some of it is very good, better than wild fish. But as "cash is king" like everywhere else, there is a part that has lower quality feed and other challenges.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've been intrigued with the discussions on air fryers. I'd written them off as the only one I'd seen was the tefal actifry which is designed mainly for chips and has a stirring thing so would be useless for tempura. But sounds like I need to look further.

Two weeks ago my mother gave me her food processor. I inherited her Kenwood Chef a few years ago as it was too heavy for her to pick up anymore (and older than me) but as we batch cook at weekends a FP was on our watch list. I have to say it's taken a considerable chunk out of prep time for certain dishes, even if its lazy. (and in my defense the kids will only eat some veg if its blended until they cannot recognise it.

MPs: Octopuses feel pain and need legal protection - BBC News The idea of the law lords debating the sentience of something tasty amuses me.

Bill, the air fryers are great. They come with lot's of accessories for doing different foods. The only thing I didn't have luck with was the rotisserie for chicken. It was a pain in the bottom. The mesh basket on the other hand is quite handy for things like chips as there is no stirring or turning. Mostly we just use the three racks though. Use it all the time. They seem to have come down in price as well. What we bought for $270 now seems to sell for about $150

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Made a nice loaf of rustic bread this morning, using a recipe from a cool website in Argentina that I just stumbled across: LINK .

I'm pleased that it was so quick to create: begin at 0900, loaf out of the oven and onto the cooling rack at 1200. It's fast because it doesn't require overnight precursors: no poolish, no sponge, no biga, no sourdough starter. No retarded-fermentation in the fridge. Only a single bulk fermentation step on the countertop, then shaping, proofing in a basket, and bake.

Will slice it open in 2-3 hours and check how the interior crumb turned out. Hopefully good enough for olive oil dipping, at Friday late-afternoon cocktail hour.

_

Attachments

• loaf1.JPG
    loaf1.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 127
  • loaf2.JPG
    loaf2.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 127
That looks very good Mark. I hope you get your reward when you cut into it. Mrs. Weldon did her Vietnamese rolls again last night and the saying is true: Practice make perfect. When she started on this journey all she was making was future croutons. Now she has advanced to truly high quality product. Nice to hear of your success.
And... It looks like you are man who measures up. ;)

Yeah, well... :D

Fresh fish is getting a bit expensive here, depends what you want, but it's ranging from about 30€ up to 56€ per kg. Frozen is a bit cheaper but still getting pricey...
Whenever we're close to the ocean I like to fish a little bit from the shore, just watch the current to see where the fish are likely to hang out, even caught a squid on my pole last year.

Calamari!

Bill,
one of our favourite reasons to visit London from the coast were the big exhibitions at Olympia and the Sunday Times Food and Drink was one. We bought a Kenwood Chef on one visit, still going strong after 30 years and still rated as the best of class.

Batch cooking - can't understand why so many don't do it. Rice, we cook a kilo at a time. Same goes for casseroles and soups. Thing with casseroles is that a long time ago I realised that for us cooking veg with the meat meant that they turned to pap, so always cook the veg (steaming) separately that way the meat is really tender and the sauce more tasty and the veg is crisp and retains the individual flavours.

Mark, that bread looks very tasty, I cannot believe that so many people buy supermarket bread that is full of preservatives and tastes like nothing. If I can get my design of wood burning stove made, probably in Serbia it will have an oven on top of the firebox and I'm longing to make fresh on a winter's morning - bannocks, made with oats as well as wholemeal loaves.