The food thread

Well, it's Thanksgiving day here in the USA so I'm cooking for the family (about 12 of us).

So far the deviled eggs are fine, Ice tea is making, Yeast rolls are rising, two turkey breasts are in the oven, but had a bit of trouble.

It seems the aluminum pans (disposable) had holes in them resulting peanut oil and turkey fat dripping on the hot burner in the oven causing mass quantities of smoke and fire.

Good news is all the smoke detectors in the house work.

Bleh!

the plan: pan seared 1" thick Ahi tuna Steak, 1 min each side - the pies with scratch butter crust have taken 3 hrs so far, 2nd finally in oven...

but a fruit fly from the organic bananas just took a dive in my Guinness nitro can draught - looks like its just stuck in head

Last edited:
As with bapao, I steam bao/pao on a piece of baking paper, works every time.

Thing with steaming is to be familiar with the steamer pot inside out, i've been using the exact same model for like 35 years, currently on the third issue.

Without a filling, it's nicer to make it a wound layer bun, as Benu does. Also looks tastier.

As with bapao, I steam bao/pao on a piece of baking paper, works every time.

Thing with steaming is to be familiar with the steamer pot inside out, i've been using the exact same model for like 35 years, currently on the third issue.

Without a filling, it's nicer to make it a wound layer bun, as Benu does. Also looks tastier.

Thanks, my daughter's pictures did not come out. I realized you must have found a pic (it was on Flickr). For a second I thought you might have eaten there $$$$$ (or maybe you snuck over and did). I can experiment to my hearts content without the truffles.

Eating raw tasmanian pink salmon for lunch/dinner:

Nothing flash here folks, this is finger food, healthiest thing you can do for yourself too is eat this stuff daily.
aFW36.jpg

pMw91.jpg

Last edited:
I eat most of my salmon raw, soft smoked, lox or gravlax. If I do 'cook' it, it has to be in approx 3x3 cm strips and done very fast on a super heated grill. I grew up hating the stuff as my mother, like many did, stuffed lemons and onions in the belly, wrapped in it foil and baked it far too long.

Atlantic Salmon is my favourite even though I live on the Pacific coast.

Poor you, tomorrow I'm getting a whole salmon (3.5-4kg clean fillet) for the holidays at a wholesale center, AUS$12/kg

Smoking it myself, superior to whatever that comes in vacuumed plastic.
Really easy actually, just takes a lot of time, No1 practical issue is the size of the smoking oven.
Building a cold smoker yourself is one option, but nowadays 100 bucks already buys a decent one in stainless.
For model and price examples : outsidestore (e.g. the Bota model)

Last edited: