The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well I don't have a great education 'wine-wise' but I wouldn't say 'they all taste just fine'. True, crap is crap but there are always small differences.

As a teenager I had no interest in wine. Coke was the best drink for me. One day I went out to dine to some rich guy's house with my father. I was fifteen. I asked for a Coke but my father told me the wine was good and I should try it, so I drank it. What's this? I asked. It doesn't taste like wine. It really didn't,.OMG it was something else. Loved it, and I was 'no sensitive kid' just the typical wild thing but I still remember that moment.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well, my last post was incomplete. Sorry for that. Summarizing, there's not much different between cheap 'wines'. There is a huge different between an excellent wine and the stuff you can buy at the supermarket. To the point you wonder why they share the same name, unhappy with this unjustice I changed the name of cheap 'wine' to fruit juice. Now back to the regular program.

Well, my last post was incomplete. Sorry for that. Summarizing, there's not much different between cheap 'wines'. There is a huge different between an excellent wine and the stuff you can buy at the supermarket. To the point you wonder why they share the same name, unhappy with this unjustice I changed the name of cheap 'wine' to fruit juice. Now back to the regular program.
I think the same happens to Jamon serrano, cheap one makes a whole of a difference to really good ones. It's like comparing fried chicken to a beef steak.

I rarely drink any kind of alcohol, and wine is just for social meals. I especially know little about white wine because it can be horrid if it's not good so I don't buy it.

I choose what I think goes with the food. I thought a slightly tart, almost dry white. Here, pork is associated with apples, and cider. But pork in a stew isn't common, and cider's too wet, so I was wondering what would be authentic, which is always my fallback when I'm stuck, which is often.

Last edited:
Just enjoyed my Ice cream with rum, sunflower seeds (peeled of course) and blueberries we picked this summer.

Yesterday we made Moussaka from scratch, lots of tomatoes, squash, aubergine, cream and egg yoke sauce, nice meat, spiced with oregano and anise.
Next time I think we'll skip the meat and purge our yellowfoot mushroom supply instead. I enjoyed a (1) Julebokk beer along with it. Actually fit very well with the rich greek food.

*Insert long winded rant here about beer and tradition*

Edit:
I normally go out 1-2 times a year for a drink, enjoy a beer on occasion, but a six pack can last for months.

Last edited:
WHAT ABOUT THE TWINKIE - Ghostbusters - YouTube

I can't get enough of Miso Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms.

I personally cannot stand alcohol any more, not after that huge binge involving a slab of Victoria Bitter Beer and 2 bottles of vodka, 6 bottles of red and white wine (3 of each), and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I've been in the emergency ward of hospitals often enough to realise that people just use Alcohol here as a ******* contest and cannot control their intake.

Last edited:
The twinkie photo is meant to point out the fact that the company that makes them and many other snack name brands was in a financial pinch and tried to make a deal with the labor union(s) that supplied many of the employees to take pay cuts and cuts in benifits in order for the company to survive. They would not budge and went on strike so the factories at 50% could not get product to the customers as the orders demanded and they filed for bankrupcy and liquidation in federal court today (11/16/12), and will likely sell off the brand names to other manufacturers. BTW, I believe it left something like 18,500 people unemployed, union and non-union alike. Shame an agreement could not be reached, now the tit has dried up so to speak.

wow, and I thought that the twinkie would last forever...

Its partially our fault too you know, australia can't seem to keep a single product on its shelves for very long, we had pop tarts, then it was taken off the shelves, then brought back, then taken off again, it likes to bounce around endlessly and push products off the shelf every year or two.

The only thing that we've actually had on the shelves constantly is Coke Cola.

And there is no way that I could actually find twinkies for sale on our shelves anywhere, genuine twinkies that is, and cans of Spam are like $6 a can, or more, which makes getting addicted to having the BBQ variant on a piece of bread at lunchtime a bit expensive to say the least! Whereas you can buy a can of Coles brand luncheon meat in a 500g tin for $1

So there is that market of some 25 million people gone, which could have helped you guys out.

I personally would have love to have seen a lot more american products on our shelves. Dr Pepper is the perfect case example, I've gotta IMPORT it just to get a can of regular flavour or Cherry version, whereas 10 years ago it aswell as Jolt Cola was for sale on the shelves.

I haven't had a can of or seen a can or bottle of Jolt cola in 14 years.

Last edited:
I have not seen Jolt cola for a while here, but you can get high caffine energy drinks everywhere. Many places have high caffine malt liquer drinks that are as high as 12%. Hmmm lots of caffine and other uppers (CNS stimulants) mixed with alcohol (CNS depressent). Its not all just about the money, but also who gets it. I suspect consuming large quantities of that stuff could be dangerous. Harm to the public? Evidently not. Big sized sodas in NY? BANNED.
Import export trade in this country is all screwed up. The notion of having "free trade" with another nation that has a fraction of the GDP is the thinking these days. Part of why it's all F'ed up.:whazzat: What happed to 'comprimise' and foreign import/export tariffs to balance the trade? Its almost as evil as what George Soros does when he buys up a foriegn currency and then dumps it in a money trade stealing the wealth of the nation. Ask folks in Kuala Lumpur 'bout that....

Last edited:
kids here under the drinking age can and do get alcopops in a wide variety and in amazing quantities, they also mix alcohol and energy drinks like red bull and Monster or mother....

Then go out on the town and cause havoc, property damage, kill people by bashing each other.

Then get in their dads cars and wrap themselves around telegraph poles at unbelievable speeds, or flip the car into someones house killing their baby/kid/wife.

But I can't get a simple can of Dr Pepper for under $2 a can, take it home and enjoy it in the comfort of my own home, quietly, with a movie.

Just goes to show you who is really in charge of our kids, large corporations.

Last edited:
The alcohol/stimulant beverages are now outlawed throughout the USA AFAIK. Some brands still exist as ~12% alcohol "malt beverages." I call them "MadDog in a can." Rotgut nastiness. Maybe I'd like them better if I were a teenager.
Coke and Dr. Pepper are made and packaged regionally here; I don't see why that wouldn't be the case overseas.

coke and pepsi is made and packaged in australia, but dr pepper isn't, neither is any other brand that isn't made by the coke cola corporation, for example sprite is easily/widely available here, but its owned by coke cola. Same goes with fanta, etc.

Dr Pepper isn't. Its manufactured/bottled in the US or the UK, but not in Australia.

Sunkist you can get but you can't get Dr Pepper for the same price...and Sunkist is owned by Dr Pepper!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper_Snapple_Group

Last edited:
Braised short ribs

I haven't taken any pictures of my food for a while... tonight I am making braised beef short ribs. I saw some nice, meaty ribs in the shop the other day and they looked good, so I bought some:

DSC_1862.JPG

So I made a nice mirepoix with onions, celery, carrot, garlic, mushrooms, cabbage, and a chili for luck:

DSC_1863.JPG

Seasoned the meat liberally with salt and pepper, and browned them over high heat in a bit of olive oil and bacon fat:

DSC_1866.JPG

Removed the meat from the pan, sauteed the mirepoix until soft:

DSC_1867.JPG

Deglazed the pan with a splash of wine, added chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs, etc:

DSC_1869.JPG

Then put the meat back in the pan, covered, and baked in the oven for a while. ("We're going to need a bigger pan!")

DSC_1872.JPG

Still cooking, I'll let you know how it turns out!

coke and pepsi is made and packaged in australia, but dr pepper isn't, neither is any other brand that isn't made by the coke cola corporation, for example sprite is easily/widely available here, but its owned by coke cola. Same goes with fanta, etc.

Dr Pepper isn't. Its manufactured/bottled in the US or the UK, but not in Australia.

Sunkist you can get but you can't get Dr Pepper for the same price...and Sunkist is owned by Dr Pepper!?

Dr Pepper Snapple Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glen are you pulling our legs again?