The food thread

Rhubarb Crumble... now you are talking my language. Proper pudding not some namby dessert :). Turns out I have been making crisp for the last 20 years without knowing it as my go to recipe book suggests half flour half oats but didn't mention the name 'crisp'.

My Brother in law has a Rhubarb plant in his new house. I went there too late this year to get much and just made a simple fool for myself but I do like crumble when supplies are good.

We have got three crowns of rhubarb in our garden.
We are just about ready to harvest a second batch from all three.
If you don't harvest it the plant flowers and does not crop very much until the next year.
There will be more.

Attachments

• rhudick.jpg
    rhudick.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 87
tartare sliced by knife (skillfully) makes a big difference to tossing steak in a meat grinder
I didn't know we were allowed to slice instead of grind. I thought we had to brine first to ensure safety and then grind.
Best flavor choice for tartare is chuck tender*
Chuck is very good in so many cases.

I didn't know we were allowed to slice instead of grind. I thought we had to brine first to ensure safety and then grind.

Chuck is very good in so many cases.

jacco is correct the classic is knife cut and it is not brined. The inside of the meat is sterile from a healthy animal so some do something to the surface if care is needed. A butcher removing a muscle from a fore or hind quarter in a clean environment does not have this problem. A real German butcher shop is like an operating room.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/classic-steak-tartare

Is that another term for teres major?

Yes, it's a small round muscle between shoulder blade and inside of the leg.
Due to the small size butchers do not find it very interesting, in turn makes Jewish fillet an affordable piece of meat.

(the teres minor lies above it, a muscle that rotates the leg, in the English world it's known as Butler's steak)