The food thread

No need to grow Mary Jane..

Can't afford to get caught doing that anymore.

A few times recently I have been walking down the street and saw/smelled some young fella suckin' on a spliff and thought "Gee that guy ought to be more careful", then remembered it's perfectly legal here now.

About 25 years ago I was in Amsterdam and of course had to go to a coffee shop and smoke a little something, even though it really wasn't something I did at home (much, or for some years). But it was still illegal there, just law enforcement chose not to enforce that law. Now here I can walk into a government owned and operated store and buy the same products. (OK probably not red Leb). Odd that it still hasn't occurred to me to do so.

As John Hartford sang, "Used to get high and listen to the Beatles / Ain't much fun now that it's legal"

With ours, I used a metal coat hanger and fashioned a 'heater rod' attached to the defrosting element, found just under the cooling coils, and ran it down the drain tube into the pan.

I have been thinking of doing something like that, though never thought of coat hanger wire, I assumed I would need another heater element.

I will send you PM with LG range model # tomorrow.

After almost a week of rain and snow (mostly snow) yesterday the weather was decent so I sparked up the new charcoal BBQ. I still haven't tried the offset smoker, but the results were excellent. (Yes Scott, I cut the ends off a large juice can and punched some holes near one end to make a chimney lighter, it worked great.) I just grilled some chicken legs, which are always a flare-up challenge, but the charcoal made it easier to control than gas, and they were juicy and flavorful. I am looking forward to trying the smoker function, preferable with a pork shoulder or beef brisket.

I still doubt the longevity of the unit, it's pretty thin sheet steel, but I think if I baby it it should last at least two summers. It's a pretty good size, if I filled the main charcoal tray it would hold a lot of food; will see how it works when family are visiting in the summer.

This is the item, it seems like you have to search to find it, it seems to have disappeared from the web site for the place where I bought it (though they only had a couple left last week) and the manufacturer's Canadian web site doesn't mention it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-29-in-Barrel-Charcoal-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-810-0029/306148311

I still doubt the longevity of the unit, it's pretty thin sheet steel, but I think if I baby it it should last at least two summers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-29-in-Barrel-Charcoal-Grill-Smoker-in-Black-810-0029/306148311

I would put heavy duty aluminum foil in the bottom and change that when it burns through. Also will reflect more heat up.

And the classic etiquette question is "Do you eat BBQ chicken with your fingers?"

The answer of course is "No, you eat the chicken first, then your fingers!"