The food thread

Daniel, I'm sure there's a difference in the markets (for whatever reason) but I can assure you they are both as popular up here.

I don't know why Scott but the built in ones are sooo much more expensive. I mean it's really nice to have that kind of width and not worry about losing stuff in the back of the fridge but surely they can't cost that much more to manufacture.

As usual... I take it almost everyone here really uses a refridgerator. I seem to prefer fresh food and thus have very little to keep in a refridgerator. I do keep a chest freezer quite full as there are things best seasonally thus frozen for off season use.

So I am curious what do folks keep in their refridgerators that requires so much space?

I can't speak for how lucky Ed is, but we are fortunate enough to have an abundance of markets in proximity that we literally could do without a car, bicycle or even a fridge if all we did was to prepare that meal for that day. Fact is our fridge is full and has a high turnover for reasons like those mentioned. We give a lot of food to others whose place in this world either isn't, or can't be, in the kitchen.

I tend to batch cook when I'm solo, which demands a bit more than nominal volume. I have generally been just fine (solo) with an apartment-sized fridge. A lot of the condiment requirements of a fridge are the same no matter how many people live there!

But, yes, the same list, although a bit less fermented stuff than Cal.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well they offered a free third fridge, I suspect they still had not gotten something right. Folks from around the world marvel at American fridges, for years my friends in Germany had nothing but what we would call the basement beer fridge in their kitchen off in a corner.

We marveled at the SIZE of them. Walk in closets are unheard of here, let alone walk in freezers :p. I sson learned when I lived in the states that a lot of stuff is built down to a budget (cars, TVs fridges etc).

Even the standard Freezer ontop US fridge freezer is twice the size of usual UK ones. At least until recently and now huge is in. I've got a samsung that so far appears to be fine other than strange noises late at night as it doesn't have the old fashioned noisy pump.

As soon as we move I'll get a chest freezer for the garage as well as we need more freezer space.

Cal: Surely the whole point about sauces and fermented items is that they don't need refrigeration?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So I am curious what do folks keep in their refridgerators that requires so much space?

As wife is now back at work we cook a weeks meals ahead of time (acutally we are away this weekend so I'm tending chick peas at the moment as they cook). So generally a meal ready for reheating or one defrosting in there (don't forget carbs are less fattening the next day or after freezing).

Always 8-12 pints of milk. Lots of fruit juice. At least 8 types of cheese, loads of yoghurt. Fresh veg.

But mine is a diddy euro fridge.

What no indoor mini garden for actually fresh stuff? I cheat, a grow light and sort of automatic watering from the condensation drain pump on my furnace/water heater.

Diy LED grow light of course and I did self install the very high efficiency natural gas heater. Planning on expanding the indoor farm.

Just finished planting a gross of corn seedlings. Started germination inside a few weeks ago.

How much beer do you keep cold? How long has the fermented stuff been around. My stock of fermented stuff ages in my below ground cellar. I try to keep a nice variety of that spoiled grape juice.

I do have a solid state DIY cold drawer for my idea of what needs to be kept cold but not frozen.

Last edited:
Ed. that sounds like a cannabis farm!

When I bought this house it was a mess. The front door paint was peeling off from all the humidity inside. The second floor back bedroom had two deadbolt locks on the door. Cleaning junk out found a very nice small balance scale and an electronic one.

It is also less than 500' from the police station!

It is basically now rehabed and there is no longer amazing amounts of excess moisture.

No need to grow Mary Jane. The abandoned house behind me usually gets lots of tall weeds on its' lot.

Walk in closets
It's where I welcome the un-welcome guests.
strange noises late at night
They quiet down once they chill a bit.
Cal: Surely the whole point about sauces and fermented items is that they don't need refrigeration?
Maybe. I don't take that chance. I prefer to use unsterilized containers and cold temp to take my mind off that sort of thing.
What no indoor mini garden <snip> Planning on expanding the indoor farm.
Can't afford to get caught doing that anymore.
How long has the fermented stuff been around. My stock of fermented stuff ages in my below ground cellar. I try to keep a nice variety of that spoiled grape juice.
Fermented stuff is used as needed. Usually within a month after fermentation. Being on the second floor of my complex limits my cellar use.
I am not a wine drinker.
I do have a solid state DIY cold drawer for my idea of what needs to be kept cold but not frozen.
Sounds like my wife after I've had enough to feel like Superman.

Last edited:
That's fine, it helps to warm the room and give you food at the same time. There's never gonna be anything wrong with that unless it's summer.

I like the Instapot for many reasons. For one, without it I would still prefer eating white rice.

Our Zojirushi manages all types but these days we are not eating rice or potatoes at all. I think we can all be different and stay friends. A funny thing one of the on air personalities from "Cooks Country" and our local Le Creuset distributor did a free demo evening and they could not get the induction hob to work with their stuff as expected. Of course a restaurant has all hobs and ovens on through service, pasta and grill stations would be at the ready all night. I got to visit the grill station at Charlie Trotter's just before his unfortunate passing, I can't see anyone standing in that heat all night it was brutal.

Last edited: