The food thread

Just microwaved a bunch of cabbage rolls, Mrs K had prepared before leaving for USA.
Normally those are prepared using fresh cabbage but these were made from "sourkraut" and hence were tastier.
Eaten with soy sauce and sour cream.

glav.jpg

Pic stolen from the web.

From what I hear elk needs the sous vide. My daughter left me hers so I think I'll join the crowd and give it a try.

Yeah, it'll be a good experiment. Hopefully strike a nice balance in terms of texture and flavor. Will need to read up on what people have cooked elk at. Edit--looking around, pretty much follow instructions for beef.

Have fun with it! If nothing else, it's just playing with a different cooking technique.

I use double-ziplock bags for shorter cooking times and save the foodsaver for the long braises where there's real concern for bag failure. Then again, we've really only been using the sous vide circulator for long braises and "normal" techniques otherwise.

Cal, good to hear you survived the night despite some questionable decisions. ;)

Last edited:
Well, the time of the "Great Cooking" has begun. I need to bake 36-48 loaves of Raisin Bread, and at least 144 spritz cookies, maybe up to 200.

I will give most of it away as Christmas Presents to family, friends, and co-workers.

I started a batch of 5 loaves of cinnamon bread tonight to kick things off.

Not a Claxton I hope.

Claxton Bakery, Inc., Home of World Famous Claxton Fruit Cake

True story.

My dad used to have Claxton Fruit cakes sent to us every year. They are pretty good (if you like Fruit Cake).

One year they were contaminated with ants. So, My dad quit sending them.

We used to pass around gifts each year among my family. Everyone would draw names at Christmas to see who you would buy a gift for the next Christmas. Somewhere along the line, someone bought a Claxton Fruit Cake and gave it to my dad. He put it in the freezer, and the next year gave it to someone else. This went on for about ten years.

Last edited:
For the benefit of the sous vide gang, the best meal I ate in 2017 (so far) included a plate of Quebec walleye cooked sous vide. Of course it was served with a wonderful sauce and garnished with various things (something crunchy, can't remember what), but the fish was fantastic, and I am very fussy about fish.

Gotta get out and pick up my to Russian clock-ICs and order the darn eel ...

We took LOT to Warsaw and they served eel as an appetizer -- for me this was a royal feast, not so much for my fellow travelers so they passed their plates forward. I think eel and vodka go quite good.

My wife recalls that her dad, native of Naples, would fish for eel in the shallows of Long Island Sound.

Amazon has the Claxton fruitcake in stock.

Last edited:
First sous-vide experiment. Grass fed chuck, usually a piece of the bottom of a boot as a steak. Upside the texture of fillet mignon, downside tastes like a beef stew without the stew. Personally I don't see the point of making a steak out of every cut of beef. Almost every western cuisine has a repertoire of wonderful stews and long braised dishes, daube of beef, beef a ficele, etc. I missed all the wonderful veggies, mushrooms, etc. cooked down into a rich gravy.

I'll keep trying but sous-vide meat still creeps me out.

Yeah, that'd be a crock pot/dutch oven cut with all the veggies for me as well.

I find it best for boring things like en-masse chicken breasts that I add to everything (salads/etc, bang-out-meals) or when you want to braise something in its own juices (e.g. the beef ribs mentioned before). It does plain old steak perfectly too, but there's plenty of ways to do that.

And nothing wrong with sauteeing onions and adding them to the bag! Flavors get everywhere quickly.