The food thread

You're welcome Cal. Anything for a nice guy like you. Sorry I forgot about the Mosquitos.
And the dragonflies, wasps and crows. Geez Ed, is it raining in Oakmont?
Was wondering if it was called 'nooners' because something happens midday or because nobody turns up. ;-)
They are great. Everyone brings their bag lunch or food truck feasts and hang out on the grass listening to some fine local (and sometimes not so local) music. Great atmosphere. Too bad it's so far away from me.

And the dragonflies, wasps and crows. Geez Ed, is it raining in Oakmont?

Dragonflies around here are great to look at and tend to keep their distance. Wasps tend to hive around old buildings and also do that live and let live bit. Sorry crows tend to be kept in check by the resurgent hawks. Truly manificent birds.

The experts say hawks do not flock. But I have seen them fly south in a flock although smaller, with greater spacing and less discipline than other birds. They also flew much higher.

As to the local weather thanks for your concern. It has been perfect for just about everyone. Weekdays a bit of rain usually between 9:00 A.M. and noon. Weekends all nice and sunny. Days warm but not hot, nights cool but not cold.

As to noon concerts, in my younger days I used to do the sound for the local symphony when they played in a local river delta park. The park workers having laid new sod, over-watered the site every day. That left puddles that bred world champion Mosquitos. Made the local birds quite happy. Of course professional courtesy being what it is they left me alone.

The best image was when a local TV station decided to shoot a helicopter shot of the crowd during a piece. I don't know how they managed to edit it for use. It seems the entire crowd was so pleased with the noisy fly by, almost as one they turned to face the helicopter and gave it the one finger salute.

As to poking fun at Dr. Derfy, forgive Me I try never to miss the opertunity.

Last edited:
Ahem,
I live in Vancouver.

Vancouver <snip> averages over 161 rainy days per year. Vancouver receives 1,153.1 mm (45.40 in) of rain per year. By comparison, the amount of rainfall in London, England is nearly half that of Vancouver. In North Vancouver, about 20 km (12 mi) away from the Vancouver airport, the amount of rain received doubles to 2,477 mm (97.5 in) per year.

ok, you have more rain days but we have more rain.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-07-15 at 3.22.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-07-15 at 3.22.32 PM.png
    38 KB · Views: 88
Ahem,
I live in Vancouver.

Vancouver <snip> averages over 161 rainy days per year. Vancouver receives 1,153.1 mm (45.40 in) of rain per year. By comparison, the amount of rainfall in London, England is nearly half that of Vancouver. In North Vancouver, about 20 km (12 mi) away from the Vancouver airport, the amount of rain received doubles to 2,477 mm (97.5 in) per year.

Cal, why do you keep feeding me straight lines?

Surprisingly the US average is 39" per year! Throw in all the dry and desert areas and 45" isn't really abnormal. Probably a reason the farmers usually do well. Now 97" is a bit much.

But as the joke goes if you want a place that is always warm and dry I respectfully suggest you go to H...!