The food thread

I have a hankering to try my hand at mole sauce. Any advice?

Try to find Diana Kennedy's recipe for reference, she describes how it takes a whole village of women to pull it off. IIRC it was a whole turkey for a special feast. Be prepared to hunt down lots of ingredients. There is actually not that much chocolate in it but try to get the fully bitter Mexican variety.

I did it and it was wonderful but it was for a picnic and the host left it out in the sun all day and the folks that ate some after everyone else left got food poisoning.

EDIT - Wow still going at 94. I knew in 1974 that there was more to Mexican cooking than TexMex, I was an early adopter of her first book and took a lot of flak from the foodies at the time.

Last edited:
Not too worry, you can make them so many ways. How do you do the cutting? I like to lay down the handle of a wooden spoon either side to control depth. Nothing worse than an overcut. :)
A wooden spoon is the best tool, or if the potatoes lay them next to the cutting board and try to make a straight (hortisontal) cut stopping at the board.

This mole recipe showed up https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/mole-de-xico

A local restaurant had her fish in cilantro dish with stripped bass on the menu but do to fishing restrictions it was available only one in 5 or 10 visits absolutely wonderful. The restaurant made the modification of taking all the ingredients of the sauce at the last minute and giving them a dose of the wand mixer.

Last edited:
Thanks Scott! That looks like the real deal, though a lot of nuts. I might substitute some pumpkin seeds for some of the nuts. Also decent plantain is hard to get around here. OTOH there is a little Mexican grocery a few blocks away that sells piloncillo and lots of varieties of dried chilis.

Thanks Scott! That looks like the real deal, though a lot of nuts. I might substitute some pumpkin seeds for some of the nuts. Also decent plantain is hard to get around here. OTOH there is a little Mexican grocery a few blocks away that sells piloncillo and lots of varieties of dried chilis.

That's a lot more different nuts than I remember from the 1974 original, narrowing down the variety should not effect the final result. Funny we just came across this last night, my wife does not like almonds so we substituted pumpkin seeds in a sauce recipe, I thought next time we should try pistachios.

Last edited:
Hi Nezbleu -- Check this out

Mexico in My Kitchen: Pipián Rojo Recipe, a creamy red sauce. |Authentic Mexican Food Recipes Traditional Blog

Not quite a mole but close. I really like this site - her recipes are simple and fairly authentic. The two keys to mole for me are getting the spices, nuts, chiles, etc. roasted just right and getting the right texture.

Phil

That looks nice and very do-able, I already have most of those things in my kitchen (ironically out of peanuts, but I have cashews).

How would you characterize the "right" level of roasting for the mole ingredients? Dark but not burnt? Lightly toasted? My reading indicates that a mole should have a bit of texture, not a perfectly smooth paste, is that right?