The food thread

Pickle.
Honey woke up to a new toy in her August stocking. Julienne peeler.

Carrot and daikon is the norm and the new toy makes arthritis almost go away.

Extra kisses for Santa today.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 118
Cal it's interesting that for better or worse surimi IS crabmeat for most of our Vietnamese community. It's a sad economic reality that no one would be rewarded for doing differently. Next place I try has a 4 level challenge on Pho from beginner on up just to appeal to more folks from outside the ethnic community, I'll take 11.

Cal it's interesting that for better or worse surimi IS crabmeat for most of our Vietnamese community.
That's interesting. What crab might it be? Hard to think fake crab is made with real crab but... Honey was no help here.
Next place I try has a 4 level challenge on Pho from beginner on up just to appeal to more folks from outside the ethnic community, I'll take 11.
I have no idea what you just said, but I'd go for 11 any day. It's gotta beat whatever 10 is. :)

In general I agree, golden syrup, lotus seed paste, and egg yolk has limited possibilities. Adding duck gizzards does not contribute much.
Her filling is a meatless one. I am thinking it's similar to Taiwanese style. Coconut, sesame seed, sunflower seed, mung bean paste and her special syrup, wrapped in the dough and forced into the mould. She then tops it with a glaze after baking and sets them in plastic wrap for a couple days to even out the moisture.

Her filling is a meatless one. I am thinking it's similar to Taiwanese style. Coconut, sesame seed, sunflower seed, mung bean paste and her special syrup, wrapped in the dough and forced into the mould. She then tops it with a glaze after baking and sets them in plastic wrap for a couple days to even out the moisture.

I've only tried mainland style, Cantonese here straight with one or two whole yolks dropped in for good measure and in Shanghai in season where almost anything goes in.

I am wondering something

The hurt when eating chili peppers basically means that the capsaicin is killing off nerve receptors.
Getting accustomed to hot chilies simply boils down to less receptors. Aka, lower number of receptors, lower nerve signal amplitude.

The density of nerve receptors is genetically preprogrammed. Remove the capsaicin suppressive and the number of receptors per square mil will increase again.

Unless the individual has a congenital receptor count defect, chili pepper tolerance is an acquired attribute, and which has to be maintained.
For a high chili pepper tolerance, as good as on a daily basis.
The reason I can't sense anything with a Scoville value under 10k, I start the day with a chili spread sandwich. For heat, I can't tell the difference between a Jalapeno and a green bell pepper.

(Same deal with salt, btw. The majority of professional chefs use too much salt in all their dishes. Also add winos to that list, regular wine drinkers have a brined tongue. Each of the human senses is a group of auto-calibrating systems)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm lucky: my local market carries both habaneros and their Caribbean cousin, Scotch Bonnet peppers. As Wikipedia says, "The Scotch bonnet has a sweeter flavour and stouter shape, distinct from its habanero relative with which it is often confused, and gives jerk dishes (pork/chicken) and other Caribbean dishes their unique flavour."

I find that if I wear vinyl gloves, and if I carefully remove the ribs and seeds with a sharp paring knife, the remaining Scotch Bonnet flesh is sweet and hot but not overpoweringly hot. I'm a heat wimp, can't eat jalapenos not even the pickled ones, but I loves me some Scotch Bonnet peppers.

Attached is a recipe I guarantee you will like. Try it this way (the heat wimp way) first. If you've got a lot of hair on your balls, and want it hotter still, stir in 20% of the reserved seeds and ribs. Or a bigger fraction.

attachment.php
_

Attachments

• recipe.png
    recipe.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 129
I've been growing Habs for probably ten years now. I make hot sauce from them. This year I only have one plant that has survived and is now bearing fruit. It is a bright yellow pepper that was purchased as seeds from:

Smokin' Hot Seeds | PuckerButt Pepper Company

I have a buddy who has professed to eat any pepper I grow. We usually split one between us after mass consumption of adult beverages.

I'm amazed at the vocabulary that results from eating truly hot peppers.

One year I made a batch of pepper sauce by taking 150 peppers, splitting them in half, scraping out the membranes and removing seeds. The outer flesh was run through a blender with a little lime juice, garlic, and salt. It was put in jars and allowed to ferment for two weeks before hot-packing it.

The stuff is still Way Hot! A half teaspoon in a bowl of Chili is too hot for most people. But the flavor is so good.