The food thread

Not sure I'd like something cartilaginous in my eggs....seems more like survival food.

I have eaten scrambled eggs for decades. Lately I am more into fried eggs. I like to heat my 7" cast iron pan to just about 300F, add perhaps a teaspoon of butter then crack in a couple eggs and cover them and turn off the heat. I let them sit until the yolk just starts to thicken. Eat 'em with toast.

The whites stay tender with this method and I don't get the hard plasticky "flashing" or bottom you sometimes get at higher temps.

My favorite kitchen tool is my infrared thermometer ;) They don't work on shiny or silver substances, though, unless you happen to know the emissivity and have one that can adjust for that.

Last edited:
With a stainless pan I fry 3 or 4 slices of bacon ......
Adjust temp for ~ 10 min. to get slightly crispy ......
Remove and drain bacon ........
Start toast .......
Add 2 or 3 eggs and cover ......
Fry until a film covers yolks but they are still runny inside ......
Put toast with gobs of butter on plate ....
Add eggs then bacon over toast .....
Egg Sandwiches Supreme !!!!!

That's cause you usually see me when I'm a full 3 sheets to the wind. I have an image problem you know, and that helps me loosen up. :D

Traveled down the road today for some real Pho. What are the little round gelatinous bits? Very nice broth, I prefer the big flat tripe but this was all good. I figure this plus boat noodles uses every possible part of a cow.

Them little morsels would be tendon. It's used in the broth making and as an Pho additive, as it has a good collagen count and is part of the rich and almost creamy affect you get from a well made broth.

That's what I thought, the owner sat down two tables over and had the same but poured the Siracha and then some evil looking pepper concoction on liberally.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was offered iguana soup yesterday (food market, held in à slaughterhouse of à small collage, every sunday after Church). Smelled really tasty, but more diplomatic to take THE beef soup (sopi) FCK IPADS, this thing stilldrives me nuts

Ha ha - you need small fingers . . . and patience.

Funny how my windows machines (DT and laptop) and blindingly fast on the internet but the damn iPad thinks its on a slow boat to China.

Surface Pro here I come.

Didn't figure you for an iPad. :p

Neither did I (i don't do laptops and/or smartphones. There's à desktop present, but each time I'm here I have to spend half a day answering security questions because they detected I'm in à different location, so I just don't bother.) At 30C ambient, I prefer to type gibberish in steep wind instead of locked up with aircon.

Last edited:
It's Moon Cake season. The pretty one in the dress makes 'em better than anything I've had from a store. Those in the know are aware of the rather involved process, and are probably also aware of how disastrous they can be when things don't go right. Mmm...can't wait. One of those babies and I'll be full till dinner. (it's 10am here)

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 116
It's Moon Cake season. The pretty one in the dress makes 'em better than anything I've had from a store. Those in the know are aware of the rather involved process, and are probably also aware of how disastrous they can be when things don't go right. Mmm...can't wait. One of those babies and I'll be full till dinner. (it's 10am here)

Last time I was in Shanghai I brought back a large sampler for translation/taste, they put some funky stuff in them.