The food thread

They were huge. The white ones are late season, the grey and black ones come in earlier. The preference among local foragers is to let them go an extra day or two after finding them if they're small. I did score some large gray ones from one of the pro foragers, and they'll be part of an asparagus dish tonight.

I used to travel for the ADSL business 5 or 6 times a year usually staying in Novotels, at least there was always plain yogurt and fruit on the cold table.

When my wife and I were in Paris at New Years our lovely little hotel had a nice breakfast buffet. There were scrambled eggs and hit sausages as well as lots of fresh fruit, plus of course pastries and bread. The bread was the highlight. Never saw the word "gluten" in Paris :)

ASTOTEL Le 123 Elysées - Hôtel 4* Paris 8e - St Honoré

Tonight was vegetarian but deep fried. First some vada:

IMG_20160508_201002.jpg

Then some pakoras

IMG_20160508_205522.jpg

I took the deep fryer out on the deck so it wouldn't smell up the house.

Not tonight. I was too tired and started cooking too late. We are a little short staffed around the house right now, as my better half has been in the hospital since the 28th of April. Hoping she will be home in the next few days, though she won't be on her feet much.

This has been a truly horrible winter. In December my father was struck by a car and killed. In January my wife's employer of 30 years decided its unionized employees were surplus to requirements. In March her mother had a stroke and died 5 days later. Then a couple of weeks ago my wife became very ill and started coughing up blood. She was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called GPA, Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis, which causes vasculitis (inflammation of small blood vessels). It had been causing a series of undiagnosed minor health issues since February, but then it moved into her lungs and kidneys and almost killed her. The disease is fatal if untreated. She had 5 days of plasmapheresis and high dose steroids, along with some other meds. She is recovering beautifully and finally breathing without oxygen.

Which is a very long way of saying "No sambar tonight".

Thanks for the thoughts. Her improvement has been dramatic in the last few days. I will never forget the emergency room physician saying to her "There is a chance that in the next few days you may not be able to breathe on your own, and we will have to put you on a ventilator. You will not be awake for that. Do you have any instructions for us in that eventuality?" Scary stuff, you never want to hear that.