The food thread

I use butter which has a smoking point of 300F. Other oils will go to 400F. I find at high temperatures there is not as much control over the finished result.

You want it hot enough that the solids in the butter start to brown. I usually use a little olive oil plus a small knob of butter. When you think it's hot enough go make your toast and give the eggs a good whisking to incorporate some air. When the eggs hit the fat there should be a very satisfying hissing sound. Reduce the heat and agitate the pan. Temperature is not your enemy, time is. Once those eggs hit the pan you are driving, and you need to pay attention.

And if you want over easy just cover it with a lid and you don't need to flip it.

Not the same thing at all. A steamed egg us not a fried egg.

round door that locked

Imperial, high-pressure steam oven, single pro quality type in domestic use size in the previous millennium, German company. (really expensive gear back then, mostly bought by designer kitchen yuppies)

Miele took over Imperial, relaunched several models with the Miele brand name. Inferior to the Imperial original, but lower priced, though still not exactly bargains. (dgd4635, dgd6605)

Silly to the point of ridiculing ones own mind, 8 letters, starts with F.
Got it, Farcical, a complete and utter idiot as me would be totally lost with the morning paper's crossword puzzle without K..K..Ken

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Took me a while but I found locally a very good source of leaf fat and make my own lard. It comes from heritage pork (Berkshire or Tamworth) raised locally without hormones and other bad stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_Curly-coated_pig

These used to be referred to as 'tallow pigs' as you got so much fat off them, for candles and other uses! Tamworth is a bacon pig so not much fat on those, just 700lbs of sweet juicy meat :)

Last edited:
;-)

Attachments

• lard.png
    lard.png
    249 KB · Views: 64
You want it hot enough that the solids in the butter start to brown. I usually use a little olive oil plus a small knob of butter. When you think it's hot enough go make your toast and give the eggs a good whisking to incorporate some air. When the eggs hit the fat there should be a very satisfying hissing sound. Reduce the heat and agitate the pan. Temperature is not your enemy, time is. Once those eggs hit the pan you are driving, and you need to pay attention.

Not the same thing at all. A steamed egg us not a fried egg.

To you with your browned butter that is fine. I just use enough to avoid sticking. Temperature control is really a strong contender for improving the way we cook.

As to over easy eggs try it! Works nicely but then my lid doesn't fit tightly so the steam escapes but it does reflect heat well.

never showed up here at all

Too small on the interior to be interesting for the US market, only 5 gallons for something in the order of $6k minimum for the Miele version.
Miele USA indeed does not list any, also not in the retired model section.

Autoclaves in hospitals, as used to sterilise cutlery and clamps, look surprisingly similar.
Imperial likely copycatted those, adapted to be fitted inside a kitchen cupboard.
Aka, 20 years ago I had the hots for an Imperial oven, until I saw it in the meat, and realised I'd already been playing hide the psycho scalpel in them many years earlier.

(FYI, in Belgium, Brussels is the selfappointed center of yuppies, ladida, and savoir de big beumb)

"making the most of every last bit."

Me, too.

I am aware my father's voice is coming through about food waste (he knew a poverty most today cannot imagine*).

I get really wound up to see self-served food left on plates!

I have a Irish friend who peels potatoes a good 10mm! I NEVER peel potatoes.

I want the space and time to make proper stocks, but mostly fail at this.

Sorry, that's a rant and will probably pull the thread elsewhere. :(

*in the affluent west, that is.

Relax Cliff, I bet there are a good many here who feel just the same. I'm one and am proud of it. As a kid, when others' opinion mattered, not so much when my Father was being 'cheap' but now I hold my head proud in being 'creative' and making the most of things. There's far too little of it in my neck of the woods.
My Father did ok as a child but my Mother's family was poor. Mom had to deal with the indignity of getting a 'coupon' to allow for a new pair of shoes and other items as there simply was no money for anything like that. Many tales of financial woes that I find rather sobering in my latter years.