The food thread

Nowadays there's all sorts of cool stuff, which can be used in the kitchen, for a few bucks.

Examples are multi-tier garment drying racks, standing or hanging, ideal to dry fresh-made pasta. Asian manufacture goes for a couple of dollars.
Gone are the days of pasta on dish towels everywhere.

(I know of a couple of Italian restaurants that had stackable drying baskets custom-made for them, look like large diameter steambaskets with a cheesecloth bottom)

Examples are multi-tier garment drying racks, standing or hanging, ideal to dry fresh-made pasta. Gone are the days of pasta on dish towels everywhere.
Funny, I actually have the 'indoor' drying rack of which you speak. Never thought of using it for pasta but maybe keep that in the back 'o' me mind.

We have a wire rack shelving unit that does a good job on the pasta and when I need more room I use wooden spoon as outriggers.

Tonight some large prawns - not sure how yet, but at 50 gr. apiece I better do something good.
Jellyfish, bamboo shoot and cucumber salad in a sesame, fish sauce and lime dressing.

...and whatever else comes to mind while I'm out walking the dog. Sure beats what else I was doing with the dog today. A slow Friday in the northern California part of Canada.

Bon apetitties.

Tonight some large prawns - not sure how yet, but at 50 gr. apiece I better do something good.
Jellyfish, bamboo shoot and cucumber salad in a sesame, fish sauce and lime dressing.

...and whatever else comes to mind while I'm out walking the dog. Sure beats what else I was doing with the dog today. A slow Friday in the northern California part of Canada.

Bon apetitties.

Grandson's birthday, his choice spaghetti and meatballs (no sauce). We get sauce.

And lots of coarse semolina everywhere.

Previously, I used two of these racks. Hauling back and forth, plus a floor covered in flour to clean.

(the teddy bear collector is me, dozens from tiny to man size. call me a fag)

Attachments

• DryMe.JPG
    DryMe.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 94
I'm not apologizing for my stuffed animals, childhood or not.

Cal, Scott--how'd dinners respectively turn out?

Helped my girlfriend make croissant french toast and fixin's for pretty brunch this AM. Hauled out some cheap Ikea table stands and a sheet of OSB and had 12-13? of us around the "table". Pretty lovely way to spend the first half of the day.

That's like my marmalade (on a slightly different scale), there's about 1.5 Seville oranges and several hours cooking per 500ml jar. Any commercial marmalade tastes insipid in comparison, but I don't know what you would have to charge to make a profit on it.

I absolutely love bitter orange marmalade, I could live with nothing else for my toast and butter.

EDIT - as an experiment this weekend I took a qt of boxed chicken stock and reduced it by 4, when chilled still liquid. When I make chicken stock it's seriously solid when cold even before reduction.

Last edited: