The food thread

Attachments

• Lardida.JPG
    Lardida.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 73
Be nice, this is not the point. If I like game liquid with putrefaction that's my preference pure and simple no need to reason why or why not.

Quite so. As you said earlier, differences of opinion can be fun. Sorry if my use of the p-word (or phi-word) offended. This is Cal's food thread, and I would hope that none of the acrimony in other threads would rear its ugly head here. SY can call mayonnaise "pus" all he wants, and while I will explain to him why he is wrong I will never be offended by his callous and insensitive epithets. (That was my weird sense of humour again).

I love aged cheese, but if it tastes like liver I will send it back.

If you're in NY, Lugers serves hamburgers at lunch and they are incredible.

I don't know Lugers, but I had a wonderful burger at O'Reilly's bar on E 31st a few years ago. That burger lingers in my memory, and was not eclipsed by the Arcade Fire concert at MSG that night, which was the purpose of my visit. (Concert was great, Spoon opened, but that burger...)

Best burger I remember was in Palm Springs about 1967, I don't know the name of the place, it was next to a gas station, and they also made great milkshakes. I was about ten years old and I have never forgotten that hamburger.

Shite, how does pork fat enhance the flavor of beef we disagree which is fun in this case.

Jeeze Scott now I'm wondering if you were pulling my leg. Using pork fat to enhance and protect other meats during cooking is such a basic and wide-spread technique. Read Larousse, read old editions of Joy of Cooking, read Escoffier, they are all full of references to use of pork fat, usually salted, when cooking other meats and even vegetables. Where I am from a tin of beans always contains a little piece of salt pork fat back. No Maritimer would cook cod cheeks and tongues in anything except rendered salt pork. Bacon or other salted fatty pork is often used to prevent the breast of a turkey from drying out before the legs are cooked. Check out Gordon Ramsay's recipe for Beef Wellington; the tenderloin is wrapped in duxelles and what he calls "Parma ham" (by which he means prosciutto I think, but fatty salty pork by any other name), etc. Lean roasts of beef used to be routinely "barded" with strips of pork fat to keep them moist and flavourful.

No kidding, to me if a piece of aged grass-fed beef is dry or livery I would send it back because it has been cooked badly.