The food thread

I believe rather strongly that a decent burger needs some fat content. Otherwise it is dry and lacks flavour.

That begs the whole tradition of larding game. The meat of game holds the flavor not the fat. 100% grass fed beef has a gamey/livery flavor when it is at its best. The whole game thing like grouse hung until the feathers fall out is out of fashion.

Yup, it sure is. I have never understood that practice. I have eaten freshly killed grouse (sauteed in butter with shallots, then glazed with wine) and it is delicious. Why on earth would you let it spoil first? I think that practice is more a matter of bad results (from lack of refrigeration) becoming "tradition".

...and yes, larding/barding is a wonderful technique for over-lean cuts of meat, including some cuts of beef. That's why people wrap beef tenderloin in bacon, it lacks flavour otherwise.

Counterpoint: tonight I grilled some teres major, which is one of the very few cuts of beef that is simultaneously lean, flavourful, and tender.

PS: if this #%$& tablet "fixes" my spelling one more time tonight I may just throw it in the garbage!