The food thread

So do I but not in the same time that the cassoulet !

I can imagine in Canada you should have a BBQ tradition with pine cones to do light hot oysters smoked with it ?.... argh delicious ! the heat open the fresh oysters while the pine cones smoke flavors the inner oyster !

Ca y'est, j'ai faim :bawling: !

The pipe cones is maybe not the acurate word, scuze my English ! I've got it : dry pine needles

as on those pictures : http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEYQFjAFahUKEwinv4CmmObIAhUEVRoKHWkZCYo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.laruchequiditoui.fr%2Fleclade-de-moules-sculpture-barbecue%2F&usg=AFQjCNEf4LCbvTthX7p8jiv6bbGRpzCLPg

At the end, you putt some oysters on the embers, wait they open, wait an other one to two minutes, eat then not too hot, or even after when cold, with what you like on it : nature, lemon, liquid creme, echalottes vinaiger !

I was lucky enough to visit the island a couple weekends ago. 60 medium sized live oysters were $25. By the time they made it to the till, it was $20.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/182567-food-thread-101.html#post4490299

Holy Cow!
Here we get maybe 6 pcs french oysters for 25 bucks in a shop, if we have luck and thats not the really good quality.
But apx. 10 years i was in Rio de Janeiro in a exclusive Sea food restaurant at Copa Cabana, there they offered for apx.35 $( i dont remember exactly) all what you can eat and only the best, there were huge tables covered with whatever you want.
I believe my belly was one nanosecond before burst when we stopped food and left the place.
In Venezuela at the beach a guy sold medium sized oysters at 3 $ for 12 pcs.

I have to try cooked oysters, until now i ate them only raw with lemon and juice, since i was not aware they can taste good when cooked.

There used to be a little spanish restaurant around here which did a delicious starter of grilled oysters.
The oysters were chopped up, mixed with bread crumbs and parsley, scooped back into a shell and then grilled.
Not sure if the oysters were cooked before chopping and I never found a recipe but it was my favourite starter and I was quite sad when the restaurant closed.

You're right, they may not have been chopped.

They seem to have been very similar to these:
Spanish Oysters Cadiz Style Recipe
The restaurant closed before the interwebs. I scoured bookshops for a while and looked through every spanish cookbook I could find. Then I kinda forgot searching for a recipe until just now. ;-)

Still sad that that place closed. Their Fideua was to die for!
No wonder that the chef cum owner took so much pride in it that he served it himself.

On second thoughts I still think they were coarsely chopped. I think they probably got a minute under a grill, then chopped, covered in the breadcrumb/parsley mixture and grilled until they have a golden crust.
At least that's what I'd do if or when I try to recreate them.
Getting a new cooker next week, may be I should take that as a hint.

Last edited:
I can assure you they very much added flavour.

If it were merely to contain it one would keep the crumbs as bland as possible not add cayenne, garlic and copious amounts of parsley.

PS: I think I've decided on the first dish I cook on the new cooker.

Now that both my shellfish-hating daughters buggered off to Uni I'll do Carne de Porco a alentejana.
We've got a rather decent fish market around here and one stall also sells wild boar meat.

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse my gargle posts, my teeth continue to hurt after a mishap couple of weeks ago.
Tooth-ache is the single thing which turns my processor to dysfunction, non-zero ground plane if you must.

Adding cayenne/garlic/parsley implies the crumbs have next to no flavor.

My response was not aimed at the chopping-up, but on mixing the crumbs with/through the diced oyster.
I'd try dicing the oyster, back in bowl, then top it with the spiced bread crumb mix (und rein geht's in die heiße Tüte :clown:)

Somewhere I read that this dish is from the Algarve but named after the origin of the pork used.
It is practically impossible to get the proper pork here (from Black Iberian Pigs fed largely on acorns) so wild boar is as close as I can get to the original.
I see if I can get a Gewürztraminer to cook it and wash it down with.