The food thread

couldn't you just eat the alewives? or are they not good eatin?

They were harvested for some purpose, like maybe cat food, but ... Don't think humans ate them at all.

Around here Alewives are called Gaspereau. They are anadromous and enter many Nova Scotia rivers from the sea to spawn. They are traditionally caught in large square steel dip-nets called Gaspereau traps, I have never seen anybody angling for them, nor have I ever knowingly eaten one. My understanding is that they were traditionally salted, packed in barrels, and shipped to Haiti, where they were a delicacy. In return I guess we got whatever Haiti had to export, probably sugar and/or rum. They are still harvested, but I'm not sure what they are used for.

There is a river about an hour's drive from here called the Gaspereau River where there is a tubing festival every year.

In an average year, I eat ~50lb of herring.
Most herring eaten here is next to raw, only put on ice and salt for a number of days.
Traditional way of eating them is to make 'm dance above your mouth.(Grease Lightning)

Charlie Wax : wax on, wax off (From Paris with love, John Travolta)

Herring is a really fat fish, fat fish is eaten close to raw or smoked (salmon)
Less fat fish is suitable for well-done cooking (cod fish)

The whole point is that you don't understand, and I have to explain it.
Why post only one time, if I can go double Dutch in the same run ?

(aran is Haitian for an alewife herring, aran so is an alewife herring recipe. furry is cat/dog. Gaspereau = alosa pseudo-harengus = fake herring)

[my biggest handicap is that I have difficulty to stay under 150 words/minute in half a dozen languages, and will engage in an attempt to copycat your accent within a week]

Attachments

• Mmmm_raw_herring.jpg
    Mmmm_raw_herring.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
St Martin also sounds better.
I had a friend from St Maarten, ex-policeman who spent a 'diplomatic' convenient intermezzo in NL. Corrupt as H, but a highly enjoyable fellow.

(Granted, I'm one literary cliché after another. Wellerisms in particular are hard to shake)

Addendum : when it comes to fish, one could say this place is Japan of the West. http://web.stanford.edu/group/paras...a_Constantine/parasiteproject/Anisakiasis.htm
Being eaten from the inside by larvae is a rather unpleasant way to die. Nowadays, it's prohibited to only salt herring, they also have to be on ice for at least 48hrs. The more raw, the tastier though. The so-called 'green herring', absolute minimum allowed salt and freeze, is by far the most exquisite of the permitted bunch, but only available in my papillae long-term memory database.

Last edited:
Most herring here is pickled or kippered although you can get some salt dried. The live or frozen stuff is usually used as salmon bait. The greasy fish here is the Eulachon aka candlefish, a type of smelt. A little stinky and very oily, so much so, if you dry fry them, they turn into a puddle. Most often they are battered whole, uneviscerated.